Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Do Or Die

Divergence Trading Strategy- Advanced

Is it possible for you to also show total percentage gain/loss and/or total dollar (points) gain/loss that have been accumulated to go along with the individual stock results. Info that's easily obtained from a spreadsheet or broker statement (real or simulator).

That will take some time.. hopefully someone else will help me with it. I'm tied up these days, will be taking one week vacation from Saturday.

Edit: I will like to remind that these are not actual trades. Initially I wanted to post only the signals, but was piqued to post about exit/stop after the strategy was called BS.

Edited by Do Or Die

Edit: I will like to remind that these are not actual trades. Initially I wanted to post only the signals, but was piqued to post about exit/stop after the strategy was called BS.

Well with bad exit/stops, the strategy could be BS. With good exit/stops it could be truly dynamic. Who knows?

I thought the thread was about divergence with an RSI or similar. Although I (or others) may personally not consider such an approach, it is irrelevant. As is how you may decide to manage the trade.

Trade management is not the idea of this thread right, its divergence? so why get cluttered with it? Just post MAE and MFE (max adverse/favourible excursion from entry) . If MFE significantly > MAE then there is evidence that proper trade management may be worth investigating. As yet however we cant know this.

Just a thought. Dont let 'em get you down.

My guess is that this may work in swinging markets, with a swing being x * 3 or 4 bars from the setting of your RSI. When markets trend, you'll be screwed as markets always diverge as volatility and volume falls off during the trend as the number of potential new participants depletes.

Hey thanks... after all the 'debate' the most important metric just skipped my thoughts.

I've been trading a modified version of divergence for long enough. It works good in trending markets, works best in volatile markets which we have since September. The only situation when it may give headache is trading a single instrument (say ES) on a time frame bigger than 15 mins; that is because you get very few signals.

Edited by Do Or Die

Update

All open positions are nicely in favor. The odds favor that they will drift slowly upwards in next week, Sell on any indication of weakness should work good enough. I will be back in new year.

Open Positions:

+PCP(155.66), +ZION(15.41), +TSO(22.40), +WLP(65.61)

Closed Positions:

DGX(+2.3%), AET(+3.3%), ETN(+8.2%), EOG (+0.8%), CMS(+0.6%), NSC(+1.6%), VRSN(-0.7%), FDX(+1.5%), SLB(+9.5%), FLS(-2.4%), ABT(-0.6%), FDX(+0.6%),

(Bought after gap up) RL(-2.5%), WLP(-1.8%), ZION(-1.3%), EXPD(-1.5%), HES(-2.1%)

For Strategy Rules follow: Divergence Strategy- Discussion

Wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2012!

IMP: These signals are for discussion purpose only. Trade at your own risk.

My premise is that Divvergences that note RSI, MACD & Stochastic are old news and have been used ineffectively for decades by public/retail traders who don't seem to be able to see beyond the sameO, sameO.

The second part of that premise, still on the topic of divergence, is that measures of divergence between price and indicators that consider the buying and selling volumes/forces that propel price offers a much more reliable indication of both divergence and pending change.

How say you?

UrmaBlume

Urma,

I think I have to disagree with number 1. If you follow the path and answer the question of why there is divergence in the first place you will find what drives the market. Any of those indicators can be made to to show the true turning point with cycles.

Number two. Your volume divergence is a great indication that the market will be changing direction but volume divergence can go for quite a while. The volume divergence is caused by most traders thinking the price direction will change. Why are they wrong? If there are more people selling than buying how is it possible for the price to continue up?

Have you ever wondered why that sometimes you will only get one tick at the top or bottom? Why the new low is .25 higher than the prior low on the ES? Why the price can run up and down 4 points in a matter of minuets.

Could there be something more powerful than market makers at work? I say yes.

Cycles.

Update

ZION still holding very strong, maintained above lows of 12/23 (recent pivot). WLP, TSO, PCP fell badly on 12/28 calling for a exit.

Open Positions:

+ZION(15.41)

Closed Positions:

PCP(+4.1%), TSO(+3.6%), WLP(+2.1%), DGX(+2.3%), AET(+3.3%), ETN(+8.2%), EOG (+0.8%), CMS(+0.6%), NSC(+1.6%), VRSN(-0.7%), FDX(+1.5%), SLB(+9.5%), FLS(-2.4%), ABT(-0.6%), FDX(+0.6%),

(Bought after gap up) RL(-2.5%), WLP(-1.8%), ZION(-1.3%), EXPD(-1.5%), HES(-2.1%)

Edited by Do Or Die

Update

Open Positions:

none

Closed Positions:

ZION(+13.4%), PCP(+4.1%), TSO(+3.6%), WLP(+2.1%), DGX(+2.3%), AET(+3.3%), ETN(+8.2%), EOG (+0.8%), CMS(+0.6%), NSC(+1.6%), VRSN(-0.7%), FDX(+1.5%), SLB(+9.5%), FLS(-2.4%), ABT(-0.6%), FDX(+0.6%),

Update

Signals didn't trigger in NTAP and EMC. Exit HON , it rallied to day's high from day lows.

Open Positions:

-PLD(28.60),

Closed Positions:

HON(-1.0%), ZION(+13.4%), PCP(+4.1%), TSO(+3.6%), WLP(+2.1%), DGX(+2.3%), AET(+3.3%), ETN(+8.2%), EOG (+0.8%), CMS(+0.6%), NSC(+1.6%), VRSN(-0.7%), FDX(+1.5%), SLB(+9.5%), FLS(-2.4%), ABT(-0.6%), FDX(+0.6%),