Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Just back from vacation.

What a great idea TL!

Full disclosure!

Full disclosure is always beneficial. The previous TL policies made disclosure by professional traders look like self advertising. Those of us who have a track record of successfully helping people become profitable welcome this type of disclosure initiative by TL. It enables anyone who reads a post to look at the credentials of the poster and thus separate good information from much of the harmful misinformation posted by hobbyists. It’s the reliability and value of the content that matters.

I must comment, though, that I was more than a little perturbed by the zealous “vendor” bashing in an almost McCarthyistic way by many of the posters to this thread. Does everyone want everything for nothing? Do you truly believe that people should spend their time and energy in teaching you to trade without any compensation? Do you not buy ongoing education as most professions do? I have and will continue to provide comprehensive teaching at no cost to anyone in my blog as the successes of my readers makes it worthwhile.

Yes, I do one or two paid live training events a year as I have many requests from people who want more of my time and effort than I can freely provide without it cutting into my own earning time. I make my living as a full time trader and have done so for many years including years as a local on the floor of LIFFE. However, if my attempt at trying to be of help to traders labels me a “vendor”, so be it.

ElectronicLocal

Just back from vacation.

What a great idea TL!

Full disclosure!

Full disclosure is always beneficial. The previous TL policies made disclosure by professional traders look like self advertising. Those of us who have a track record of successfully helping people become profitable welcome this type of disclosure initiative by TL. It enables anyone who reads a post to look at the credentials of the poster and thus separate good information from much of the harmful misinformation posted by hobbyists. It’s the reliability and value of the content that matters.

I must comment, though, that I was more than a little perturbed by the zealous “vendor” bashing in an almost McCarthyistic way by many of the posters to this thread. Does everyone want everything for nothing? Do you truly believe that people should spend their time and energy in teaching you to trade without any compensation? Do you not buy ongoing education as most professions do? I have and will continue to provide comprehensive teaching at no cost to anyone in my blog as the successes of my readers makes it worthwhile.

Yes, I do one or two paid live training events a year as I have many requests from people who want more of my time and effort than I can freely provide without it cutting into my own earning time. I make my living as a full time trader and have done so for many years including years as a local on the floor of LIFFE. However, if my attempt at trying to be of help to traders labels me a “vendor”, so be it.

ElectronicLocal

McCarthyistic bashing?

It all started with your caustic sly comment on your competitors.

If you still do not see your unprofessional behavior, don't respond.

Just back from vacation.

What a great idea TL!

Full disclosure!

ElectronicLocal

McCarthyistic bashing?

Have you even read the thread?

Have you paid attention to clmacdougall's repreated statement ????

Just back from vacation.

What a great idea TL!

Full disclosure!

ElectronicLocal

Hi electroniclocal,

I'm a little familiar with your blog. It was started under the guise of you training your daughter to trade with consistent profitability. For some unknown reason you made this tutorship public, and soon afterward the selling started.

I suggest that selling "education" was the sole purpose of your blog and the other story concerning training your family member was simply part of an attempt to appear as though you were a giving soul who was deeply interested in ,"helping others," as you put it.

You are promoting yourself again sir!! The very thing I'm sure you are trying so hard not to do seems to come all too naturally to you.

1. You promote yourself as a "professional trader" putting down your competing " hobbyist" vendors as not being so.

2. You promote yourself as having a "successful track record," suggesting your other vendor friends do not have one.

3. You promote your "information" as much better than the "misinformation" spread by the other vendors.

4. You promote yourself as a provider of "comprehensive teaching"

5. You promote yourself as being a "help to other traders"

You have done more "vendor bashing" in your one post than may have been done in this whole thread.

I put forward that your method of consistent profitability might have worked to make yourself consistently profitable through selling trading education.

You sir have no shame!! I didn't mention in the vendor list your $10,000 3-4 day trading seminar at your villa in France in the fall simply because it seemed too ridiculous to even speak of but with your over the top self promotion it is needed to put your possible/probable intentions into proper focus.

Just back from vacation.

What a great idea TL!

Full disclosure!

ElectronicLocal

Mr. Local,

TL is a site that traders and students come to get free information and to exchange ideas. You and your type come here and try to lure traders, who are here seeking free information, into paying for your services. Your statements would be absolutely correct if it was your site that traders where coming to and trying to get information from you without paying. But that is not the case. It is their site that you came into trying to get them to pay.

Your skill as a trader and value as a teacher should attract traders to your locale via the viral nature of valuable information. The demand for your services should determine the price that each trader pays. The success of your students should be advertisement enough to attract customers and, hence, revenues for your services. You should not have to be here soliciting business from traders who want information for free.

MM

What a great idea TL!

Full disclosure!

Full disclosure is always beneficial...... I make my living as a full time trader...

Excellent.....As YOU back full disclosure you'll obviously have no objection to providing some evidence to back up your claims of being a currently successful trader ....(not in the pit as the street is littered with failed ex locals /pit/ Institutional traders) ?

Thanks

Those of us who have a track record of successfully helping people become profitable welcome this type of disclosure initiative by TL.

Care to share testimonials?

I have and will continue to provide comprehensive teaching at no cost to anyone in my blog as the successes of my readers makes it worthwhile.

Several months back before I knew any better, I went through your blog and was surprised to find only references to "Flo," and trades you took, and it was basically a blog on how you were doing. Sorry if you meant to provide useful information--there simply wasn't much to actually use or even build off of IMO. This in itself is neutral and doesn't matter to me, but please don't claim to have "comprehensive teaching" when you do no such thing. If you can provide just one or two blog posts where you provide what you consider comprehensive teaching, it might convince readers here otherwise; I just looked at your site now but still could find nothing that would really fit into that category. Fortunately for me I began to watch my own charts, and formulate my own ideas about how the market moves, and stopped searching for the answers in blog posts, forums (though I do like to ask questions here of knowledgeable traders), and $$$ seminars.

Fortunately for me I began to watch my own charts, and formulate my own ideas about how the market moves, and stopped searching for the answers in blog posts, forums (though I do like to ask questions here of knowledgeable traders), and $$$ seminars.

Precisely!

"Find your own way!" zdo

...and then, when the 'student' is ready, the teachers will appear...really!

...'ready' comes out of the quality of questions and the directions in which they are directed.

This whole thread is based on (hopefully pre-emptively) 'rescuing' 'victims' from exploitive vendors. But, no one needs rescued - actually, anything but the 'victim' rescuing himself is a waste of time!

Ok I see a ton of threads degenerating into a 'vendor' bash ... so here is a thread for all of you to give your opinion on vendors. I'll be reviewing this thread for feedback. And if I see good threads going down a wrong path, I will also be moving offending posts here so people can continue those discussions outside of the main thread.

thanks!

MMS

If vendors where moderated 'better' in the first place then lowly members would not feel it necessary to voice their concerns. Maybe we have a different idea of what a 'good thread' is, some teaser article that is cut and pasted to every forum, blog, or trading portal on the internet with little chance of any meaningful follow-up by the author should just be summarily deleted imho.

The tone of your post is interesting, seems protective of the vendors :). I haven't read the thread yet but I noticed something about transparency. I already commented (in the support section) that it is pretty unclear what the status of some posters is. Having a clear policy on posting by non sponsor vendors might help too though in the past common sense prevailed.

There are two ways to improve signal to noise ratio, filter the noise or increase the signal. I can't help feeling that the reason the noise is more noticeable is that the signal has become rather weak.

I'm seriously considering selling something (maybe indicators that I have given away in the past) just so I can get on the list.

When are non sponsor vendors getting a skull and crossbones icon? I want one!

You must admit it's a little strange that the website where you sell your education is easily found by googling "wrbtrader", which is your username here at TL.

For a vendor just wishing to move in and out of the forum in a non-promotional way, why don't you just change your username to be completely separate from any of your selling endeavours.

You are "advertising" in a subtle way by attaching a link to your money making website within your username itself. Perhaps you should change your username again, but this time don't tell us who you are and become a non selling member of the community. Just a thought!!

A step too far...way to far. And anyway he's going to have a skull and crossbones right? And actually adds opacity if people start using secret nom de plumes.

A step too far...way to far. And anyway he's going to have a skull and crossbones right? And actually adds opacity if people start using secret nom de plumes.

Hi Blowfish

The idea of a vendor rejoining the community under a new username as a non vendor was for someone who wished to become a non selling member of the community in the future.

The community's perception of the possible/probable intentions of that vendor member would always be different from those of a non selling member as long as they stayed on as a vendor member.

In labeling vendors the intention is not to place them under any suspicion, as you've humorously mentioned the placement of a skull and cross bones, potentially alluding to them as thieves or cheats. The intention of labeling is to stress the possible/probable difference in intentions they may have from those of non vending members.

I think you'd agree this is a good thing and has been long overdue.

MMS,

Suggestion -

In the Trading Resources section

Just under The Marketplace forum,

place a Products and Services forum

That’s their spot. Advise vendors to be very careful how they allude / link back to their product or service in other forums and threads. From there, users can question their character, challenge them to produce performance history, question the voracity of their approach, question how they apply their methods, and all the other things 'vendor questioners/haters’ and 'rescuers' do.

Only allow bashing by non vendors to report promises broken, but allow users pretty free reign in the new forum … the vendors can always go sign up with reputation.com :rofl: Most of those who are really interested in the product or service would also be wise to require the vendor to do the ‘closing’ back and forth, etc. right there in the forum for all to see.

Vendors could then initiate and join conversations elsewhere and make valuable contributions to actual topics and techniques where they want - with, hopefully, less topic robbing flack from the 'victims' and ‘rescuers’

Hi Blowfish

The idea of a vendor rejoining the community under a new username as a non vendor was for someone who wished to become a non selling member of the community in the future.

The community's perception of the possible/probable intentions of that vendor member would always be different from those of a non selling member as long as they stayed on as a vendor member...

Hi,

For clarification, it's not that some vendors want to become non selling members of the community...it's because they are and always has been non selling members of the community.

In addition, if a non selling member is already part of the community and then decides to rejoin the community via a different user name, I guarantee someone will notice the writing style of the new user name and type of discussions he/she tends to be involved that allows the community to determine whom he/she really is or use to be.

It's been tried a few times and eventually someone sends a private message and says "aren't you XYZ" or "you post like XYZ", "are you affiliated with XYZ" or worst the community doesn't know how to police itself via tolerating those of the community to openly point fingers at a new user name that accuses the new user name of being someone that was a non selling vendor here at Traderslaboratory. Next, some in the community starts another pissing match via saying the reason why that person changed user name was so that he/she can operate as a cloaked selling vendor.

What's next, get another new user name and then change his/her writing style to cloak their identity along with lying when those of the community starts accusing the new user name of being someone else. :doh:

Like I said, it's been done before which is why some non selling vendors that use to post quality info here at Traderslaboratory without any baiting tactics have not returned to Traderslaboratory. I suspect (pun intended) that MadMarketScientist doesn't like the obvious declining membership of his forum and that hurts his wallet (MMS is a vendor and you're using his services for free) especially when there's a lost in quality posts. Hopefully he uses the icon properly along with determining how to financially benefit from non sponsor vendors selling here via baiting tactics and benefit from non selling vendors. Regardless, MMS has a problem with the shrinking number of retail traders all over the world.

Thus, I recommend MMS to have two distinctive icons considering you're unable (don't want to) to have two distinctive lists...a icon/list for those that sell here as non sponsors and a icon/list for those that do not sell here but are known vendors because someone decided to do an internet research on the user name, writing style or use info that was volunteer by the member for transparency reasons. In my opinion, this would provide better info about the intentions of those you're talking to although it does not have any implication about the quality/usefulness of their message posts.

...In labeling vendors the intention is not to place them under any suspicion...

The above quote contradicts a few of your own earlier statements and a few statements of others even though you say with tongue in cheek that you're not trying to place them under suspicion.

If a vendor of a trading system won't setup a Collective2 or ZuluTrader account (etc) as a 3rd Party auditor who can establish a track record which lines up with what they've claimed in forums then, plain and simple, the odds that you are being totally scammed go way above 50%.

If you wanted to keep TL a "safer place" vendor-wise, then you would require something like this of anyone wanting money or donations in exchange for trading knowledge. If they can't trade their own method in an open arena through which they can't fudge results, then they should be asked to leave.

For example,

You simply can't imagine how many 1000's of newbie traders would have saved blown-out accounts over the past decade if "Woodie" had to show first that his method of trading the CCI was profitable for HIM through a 3rd party trade auditor. Hint: it never was because he never ever traded it for a living.

If a vendor of a trading system won't setup a Collective2 or ZuluTrader account (etc) as a 3rd Party auditor who can establish a track record which lines up with what they've claimed in forums then, plain and simple, the odds that you are being totally scammed go way above 50%.

If you wanted to keep TL a "safer place" vendor-wise, then you would require something like this of anyone wanting money or donations in exchange for trading knowledge. If they can't trade their own method in an open arena through which they can't fudge results, then they should be asked to leave.

For example,

You simply can't imagine how many 1000's of newbie traders would have saved blown-out accounts over the past decade if "Woodie" had to show first that his method of trading the CCI was profitable for HIM through a 3rd party trade auditor. Hint: it never was because he never ever traded it for a living.

To me, Collective2 or ZuluTrader account (etc) as a 3rd Party auditor have very little value.

Not all the vendors sell computerized systems,

and systems can be fudged.

There are a good number of "successful" system on C2,

if C2 can lend such credence, those systems would have taken over the World by now; you won't need to vend, LOL.

Hi,

For clarification, it's not that some vendors want to become non selling members of the community...it's because they are and always has been non selling members of the community.

In addition, if a non selling member is already part of the community and then decides to rejoin the community via a different user name, I guarantee someone will notice the writing style of the new user name and type of discussions he/she tends to be involved that allows the community to determine whom he/she really is or use to be.

What's next, get another new user name and then change his/her writing style to cloak their identity along with lying when those of the community starts accusing the new user name of being someone else. :doh:

Like I said, it's been done before which is why some non selling vendors that use to post quality info here at Traderslaboratory without any baiting tactics have not returned to Traderslaboratory. I suspect (pun intended) that MadMarketScientist doesn't like the obvious declining membership of his forum and that hurts his wallet (MMS is a vendor and you're using his services for free) especially when there's a lost in quality posts. Hopefully he uses the icon properly along with determining how to financially benefit from non sponsor vendors selling here via baiting tactics and benefit from non selling vendors. Regardless, MMS has a problem with the shrinking number of retail traders all over the world.

Thus, I recommend MMS to have two distinctive icons considering you're unable (don't want to) to have two distinctive lists...a icon/list for those that sell here as non sponsors and a icon/list for those that do not sell here but are known vendors because someone decided to do an internet research on the user name, writing style or use info that was volunteer by the member for transparency reasons. In my opinion, this would provide better info about the intentions of those you're talking to although it does not have any implication about the quality/usefulness of their message posts.

The above quote contradicts a few of your own earlier statements and a few statements of others even though you say with tongue in cheek that you're not trying to place them under suspicion.

Hi wrbtrader

That you are a trading vendor is a known fact, the question of whether or not you were trying to sell here on TL is I guess impossible to know other than if a member steps forward to let us know whether you've advertised your business here or approached someone on the forum with a sales promotion, private or otherwise.

Why in the world are you so concerned about wearing a vending label when that is exactly what you do? Be proud of it and see it as a business opportunity!! Perhaps the quality of your posts will bring you new found success.

What I give to TL and what it gives back to me are hopefully at least equal. I promote MMS business by visiting TL and in return he gives me access to someone else' posted information. The only way I can ruin this balance is by ruining the social fabric of this community through falsifying my intentions and trying to use every relationship here for my own selfish financial goals.

As to your last statement, scrutiny and suspicion are two different things. A vendor must be open to scrutiny! It's the price he/she must pay as a vendor and certainly will pay at a trading forum. If this process is too intensive perhaps you're in the wrong line of work. You can't expect people to be so trusting of your intentions. Please read post #187 of this thread again.

Thank you

Hi wrbtrader

That you are a trading vendor is a known fact, the question of whether or not you were trying to sell here on TL is I guess impossible to know other than if a member steps forward to let us know whether you've advertised your business here or approached someone on the forum with a sales promotion, private or otherwise.

Why in the world are you so concerned about wearing a vending label when that is exactly what you do? Be proud of it and see it as a business opportunity!! Perhaps the quality of your posts will bring you new found success.

What I give to TL and what it gives back to me are hopefully at least equal. I promote MMS business by visiting TL and in return he gives me access to someone else' posted information. The only way I can ruin this balance is by ruining the social fabric of this community through falsifying my intentions and trying to use every relationship here for my own selfish financial goals.

As to your last statement, scrutiny and suspicion are two different things. A vendor must be open to scrutiny! It's the price he/she must pay as a vendor and certainly will pay at a trading forum. If this process is too intensive perhaps you're in the wrong line of work. You can't expect people to be so trusting of your intentions. Please read post #187 of this thread again.

Thank you

I strongly disagree that it's impossible to tell if someone is selling here at Traderslaboratory or not via the fact that anyone (including you) can review my posting history or the posting history of any other member. In addition, MadMarketScientist has access to the private messages of members (assuming he knows how to do such).

Therefore, due to the above facts which is the 2nd time I've mentioned such to you specifically in a prior reply and you still think it's not possible...maybe the issue is that you could care less if someone is vending here or not and you're true to your word that you just want "transparency" to better determine the motives of any message post you read here at Traderslaboratory. :confused:

For the record, I highly recommend to you one more time about the reasons why Traderslaboratory is NOT a suitable place for vending as stated @ http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/general-discussion/10633-vendors-vendors-vendors-7.html#post126847

Simply, the non selling vendor decides (not you) when its time to see it as a business opportunity as you mentioned. Further, if and when Traderslaboratory does become a suitable place for advertising...I'm sure many of the non selling vendors that's not on your list along with a few that's on your list may decide to become sponsors which will put money in MMS pockets. Anyways, that's a concern of MMS and not yours to why some non selling vendors don't want to advertise here.

Regardless, I'm mainly concern with the issue of you recommending or requesting "transparency" and then when you get it you then make a suggestion non selling vendors should use different user names so that you will no longer know whom they are...that still doesn't make any sense to me. Therefore, I have no issue with the actual pending vendor label, my issue is with your request for transparency and then your suggestion to go into hiding after you receive the transparency. That's why I question your agenda and will continue to do so every time you attempt to rationalize your suggestion.

I just wanted to be very clear why I'm posting in this thread involving questioning your agenda based upon your own post history and it's content. :2c:

I strongly disagree that it's impossible to tell if someone is selling here at Traderslaboratory or not via the fact that anyone (including you) can review my posting history or the posting history of any other member. In addition, MadMarketScientist has access to the private messages of members (assuming he knows how to do such).

Therefore, due to the above facts which is the 2nd time I've mentioned such to you specifically in a prior reply and you still think it's not possible...maybe the issue is that you could care less if someone is vending here or not and you're true to your word that you just want "transparency" to better determine the motives of any message post you read here at Traderslaboratory. :confused:

For the record, I highly recommend to you one more time about the reasons why Traderslaboratory is NOT a suitable place for vending as stated @ http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/general-discussion/10633-vendors-vendors-vendors-7.html#post126847

Simply, the non selling vendor decides (not you) when its time to see it as a business opportunity as you mentioned. Further, if and when Traderslaboratory does become a suitable place for advertising...I'm sure many of the non selling vendors that's not on your list along with a few that's on your list may decide to become sponsors which will put money in MMS pockets. Anyways, that's a concern of MMS and not yours to why some non selling vendors don't want to advertise here.

Regardless, I'm mainly concern with the issue of you recommending or requesting "transparency" and then when you get it you then make a suggestion non selling vendors should use different user names so that you will no longer know whom they are...that still doesn't make any sense to me. Therefore, I have no issue with the actual pending vendor label, my issue is with your request for transparency and then your suggestion to go into hiding after you receive the transparency. That's why I question your agenda and will continue to do so every time you attempt to rationalize your suggestion.

I just wanted to be very clear why I'm posting in this thread involving questioning your agenda based upon your own post history and it's content. :2c:

Hi wrbtrader,

MMS is in no way obliged or even potentially able to tell us whether or not you are a selling vendor member. For that matter what difference does it make whether you've sold in the past or not?

You are a vendor member and for whatever reason everyone here at TL knows it, please get over it!!

I am simply wanting the transparency you speak of for the sake of determining the possible/probable intentions of the poster.

TL will become a more welcoming place for traders to enjoy the company of like minded people while learning a little bit about trading, when vendors are labeled as being such. People can then develop some good friendships without the hindrance of self motivated posters trying to become your "friend" at a price!

Create this type of community and the ad revenue will take care of itself as people are always drawn to a good community and that's what TL has the potential of becoming.

You seem upset that I appreciate the community here at TL. A few times in your post you've mentioned how it's MMS who is going to make the decisions here at TL and not me, I like to think we all play a part in the decision making process. It's been clear to me that MMS has listened to our request for vendor labeling so myself and others have been given a sense of empowerment and ownership here that we appreciate. Those kinds of actions help to create a vibrant community be it on the internet or where you live.

I've explained myself already concerning a vendor member like yourself who might be irritated at receiving your labeled vendor status, taking the opportunity to rejoin the community as a non vendor member who never again attempts to sell his wares here. What is the problem? What aren't you understanding? It seems clear to me that I am merely trying to help someone like you who is having problems with the label you are about to be wearing!!

Edited by clmacdougall

Hi wrbtrader,

MMS is in no way obliged or even potentially able to tell us whether or not you are a selling vendor member. For that matter what difference does it make whether you've sold in the past or not?

...I've explained myself already concerning a vendor member like yourself who might be irritated at receiving your labeled vendor status, taking the opportunity to rejoin the community as a non vendor member who never again attempts to sell his wares here. What is the problem? What aren't you understanding? It seems clear to me that I am merely trying to help someone like you who is having problems with the label you are about to be wearing!!

First, it does matter to me if someone implies that I've advertised here while seeming too stubborn to read ones posting history. Like I said, this place isn't my cup of tea and you shouldn't react as if you're offended by that fact that deals with a personal reason (already disclosed) and business reasons that will only be disclosed to MMS in private if info is requested by him.

I use the word implied very strongly based upon your own words like "never again" as if there had been advertising when in fact there never was nor will there ever be. That's a problem and I'll continue questioning your agenda whenever you use words like such under your facade of helping the community.

Secondly, you seem to forget that I volunteer my status. Therefore, I have no fear of the label in comparison to many members at Traderslaboratory that are vendors (my count is now up to 23 members) and not on your list. Simply, don't imply nor state for fact that you are helping me when in fact the info was given by me long before you were a member of Traderslabortory. In reality, I've helped you via giving you updated (correct info), voluntarily being transparent along with notifying you and others (including MMS) there are reasons why some vendors do not market themselves here at TL.

Anyways, I'll no longer bother you about that because I think I've been very clear now.

Hi wrbtrader,

...Create this type of community and the ad revenue will take care of itself as people are always drawn to a good community and that's what TL has the potential of becoming.

You seem upset that I appreciate the community here at TL. A few times in your post you've mentioned how it's MMS who is going to make the decisions here at TL and not me, I like to think we all play a part in the decision making process...

I'm no more upset that you appreciate the community than you are upset that I don't advertise myself here at TL in respect for the TOU policy and my respect for the community.

Just remember this...we (you and I) are part of the community. If we don't get along and the same with others, there's really no community worth visiting because its just a pissing match as noted by many value members (non vendors) that no longer visit TL. Thus, it's really not about vendors that's driving away members from the community and that's an entirely different cup of tea involving non vendors in the community. :helloooo:

I think you two are just hung up on semantics.

Both of you have stated your feelings/position at least once. We can carry on without repeating them again.

I think you two are just hung up on semantics.

Both of you have stated your feelings/position at least once. We can carry on without repeating them again.

Aw.... c'mon Tams, why did you have to go and break up a good misunderstanding. It was just starting to get fun!!