Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ingot54

To Arm or to Disarm.

This thread makes me think of this quote:

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
[Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address]

Just add "the gun control debate" to politics and religion.

:)

Edited by Cory2679

Signing off as director general as Part of the new world order/old world order/mind control experiment......

plus Out of Order, Chicken Chow Mein Order, Court Order, Batting Order and Mail Order.

Worry not, I don't need my guns. I don't want them, because I can walk the street at night with my friends and families, without a care.

ya'll come do a walk about in these places

Large Cities All Over America Are Degenerating Into Gang-Infested War Zones - BlackListedNews.com

;)

////

a few posters have started making connections between gun control and good trading.

Let me make a couple of them - real simple and basic.

Guns are like stop loss orders. 'Suggested' - but not necessary at all...:rofl:

In each situation, some stop loss orders are better than others.

In each situation, some guns are better than others.

A trader should not be limited by his own lack of sophistication, or by his broker, or legally in the situation appropriateness of the stop losses he can apply.

A gun owner should not be limited by his own beliefs, or his gun dealers, or legally in the situation appropriateness of the fire power he can apply.

I am not a pacifist.

I'm a hard-edged realist. I understand the world as it is, guns are a terrible thing. There's no glory, only suffering.

I slept with my guns for years. I understood what it meant. I had to do it because it was my job. I was paid to do it.

I now walk mindlessly in my neighborhood, free of guns, and I love it.

I am not a pacifist.

I'm a hard-edged realist. I understand the world as it is, guns are a terrible thing. There's no glory, only suffering.

I slept with my guns for years. I understood what it meant. I had to do it because it was my job. I was paid to do it.

I now walk mindlessly in my neighborhood, free of guns, and I love it.

what town is that..you never answered this question? also mindlessly? have they actually brainwashed you that bad? :rofl: :haha: :cool::) :crap: :confused:

a few posters have started making connections between gun control and good trading.

Let me make a couple of them - real simple and basic.

Guns are like stop loss orders. 'Suggested' - but not necessary at all...:rofl:

In each situation, some stop loss orders are better than others.

In each situation, some guns are better than others.

A trader should not be limited by his own lack of sophistication, or by his broker, or legally in the situation appropriateness of the stop losses he can apply.

A gun owner should not be limited by his own beliefs, or his gun dealers, or legally in the situation appropriateness of the fire power he can apply.

so what do you use when you get a margin call or an account blows up - nukes?

Stops are one measure of protection, in my case they are called door locks, window bars and common sense.

I have lived in what would be considered a bad neighborhood in Sydney when i was young. Junkies out the back, pros out the front, occasional local riots I got mugged once by some drunk - it was not the end of the world. At no stage did i ever feel the need to get a knife, gun or take self defense classes.....just lucky i guess.

Stops are one measure of protection
all losses happen because of stop losses :rofl: :rofl:

the one common denominator of stop losses IS are you ready IS sure you ready? IS STOP LOSSES. :doh: :rofl: :helloooo:

I have lived in what would be considered a bad neighborhood in Sydney when i was young. Junkies out the back, pros out the front, occasional local riots I got mugged once by some drunk - it was not the end of the world. At no stage did i ever feel the need to get a knife, gun or take self defense classes.....just lucky i guess.
see you didn't need a stop loss :helloooo: or perhaps you didn't have much money back in those days and the drunk just figured it would be a sin to rob you? :haha:

you know who gives a sh$t anway? it is just money..you came into this world w/o it and you shall leave w/o it. (maybe sooner than you wish if you don't buy yourself a peashooter :rofl:)

would be the end of the world if you blew your account? lost your house on margin calls? would life end? siuya just make a "little jack" and SPEND it. BLOW it. enjoy life..love alot..give alot.. twis soon be over for all of us...let your kids fight over what is left :rofl: :rofl:

if none is left because of margin calls ...busted account...enjoy the adventure of clawing your way back...(maybe you ain't got no claws left because of previous margin calls??)

take risks..enjoy life...carry a peashooter to make sure others are aware you have a stoploss...spend the jack...enjoy peace..enjoy a good fight... become a conservative at least for 1 day before you leave this world if for nothing else just to experience it :missy:

Edited by Patuca

so what do you use when you get a margin call or an account blows up

....just lucky i guess.

c'mon SIUYA, if you have the right stop loss point * you don't get a margin call and your account won't blow up. The point is that a gun can be used as a stop loss point to halt further damage to self and others. - in real, instead of financial, life and death situations.

In both cases, the person has 'attracted' threats by 'being at the wrong place at the wrong time, etc.

Here's the discrepancy -

We have traders who would never 'walk around' without a way to stop out / limit losses financially... but they're completely ready to go totally faith based and would walk around without means to stop or limit losses to real physical life. They see the sense in being willing to carry their iMobiledevice into any situation to protect their financial safety... yet these same ppl. do not see the sense in carrying an appropriate tool into any situation to protect their actual physical life. They would never tell a fellow trader to just hope for "just lucky i guess" - yet they're willing to depend on "just lucky i guess" when the bullets start flying...

* not restricting it to just stop orders, btw.

...I'm a hard-edged realist. I understand the world as it is, guns are a terrible thing. There's no glory, only suffering.

Yes.

But, the suffering is not primarily bcse of guns

ie removing all the ‘guns’ on the planet would do little to change it.

I will reiterate the opinion I put out last week. (and also be an idiot by linking to lies/stats).

Yes, ‘the world would be a nicer place to live” without guns…

but this article, America's Biggest Killers: The Chart Anti-Gunners Don't Want You To See, shows how the world would even be a nicer place to live without addictions

(...btw, before some bozo gets started, I'm not saying the suffering is primarily bcse of addictions either )

ok fellowtraders. please understand any name-calling that "slips" through my fingers as i type is done in jest....well at least most of time....hence DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUS, EVER AGAIN. somebody must have reported me as i received a notification from "el owner/founder" admonishing me to refrain from such behaviour. not sure how many admonishes one is allowed before the DREADFUL knife is put to the thread (3 strikes and your OUT?) and i will be cut off. in the event that this happens..well... it has been fun talking to you guys..even if you don't like me. not many people do, so that will be nothing new for me..i generally don't like people either so we are.... what do you call it?....even stephen :rofl:

this said, without naming any one person in particular, or pointing a finger at anyone, i would suggest we all drop our trousers and make sure we aren't wearing lacy pink underwear and acting like a chicken sh$t. bak bak bak bak.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh sh$t i can't stop :rofl:

ps ZDO wisdom amazes me. i never saw this side of him.

ppss i think we should form a committee and investigate the possibilities of passing legislation to officially ban all STOP LOSSES. with these hateful things banned nobody need ever lose again and we will all have PEACE and prosperity on earth. you liberals are really getting me to thinking (now that is a miracle in itself). i am now in an official BAN mode. i think we should ban most indicators...especially "leading indicators" as they are always leading us into the pit of more stop losses. we should probally look at banning price action as 95% of us read it wrong anyway. i think we should keep volume on the agenda as that is where the money is at. :haha:

pppsss

for a good fight please watch the BCS merikan national college football championship tonight (at 7:00 or 7:30 central time they can't seem to make their mind up which time)between........ NO LESS THAN:

Bama (i.e. Alabama for you foreigners)

Notre Dame

Now Bama of course is protestant

Notre Dame is catholic

Bama does not employ stoplosses as they don't intend to lose

Notre Dame EMA as they plan on moving the ball fast

Bama thrives on breakouts from resistance and employs moments of great volitility

Notre Dame employs lagging indicators hence may lag most of the game.

Prediction: Bama 38 Notre Dame 21

however it will not be the end of the world if it is Notre Dame 36 and Bama 31.

life goes on...regardless....

if one can't predict the markets should one attempt to predict a football game??? zdo we need your wisdom here.

see you didn't need a stop loss :helloooo: or perhaps you didn't have much money back in those days and the drunk just figured it would be a sin to rob you? :haha:

you know who gives a sh$t anway? it is just money..you came into this world w/o it and you shall leave w/o it. (maybe sooner than you wish if you don't buy yourself a peashooter :rofl:)

would be the end of the world if you blew your account? lost your house on margin calls? would life end? siuya just make a "little jack" and SPEND it. BLOW it. enjoy life..love alot..give alot.. twis soon be over for all of us...let your kids fight over what is left :rofl: :rofl:

if none is left because of margin calls ...busted account...enjoy the adventure of clawing your way back...(maybe you ain't got no claws left because of previous margin calls??)

take risks..enjoy life...carry a peashooter to make sure others are aware you have a stoploss...spend the jack...enjoy peace..enjoy a good fight... become a conservative at least for 1 day before you leave this world if for nothing else just to experience it :missy:

no i am too conservative to have ever had a margin call......ironic right.

I also enjoy life quite a lot, and more than most, understand you cant take it with you and regardless of what risks you might like to take, carrying a gun or a pea shooter or any weapon is something i have never needed. I used to use rifles on the farm, we also used dynamite and fertilizer for certain land clearing and noxious vermin (great fun as a kid). Still I have never needed them since, and would prefer a shotgun if required.

I have also always manged to avoid most fights and dont really think there are any good ones - i prefer peace to violence and the drunk already committed the sin even if he got nothing. and how do you know i am not a conservative just because there is a few points we may not agree with? I am certainly not liberal in the terms many people use it, and yet very liberal in other ways because i do enjoy life.

I probably have more morals/ethics (for what they are worth) than many who are clearly bought and sold at the right price and i dont subscribe to the life is suffering crap (even though it sometimes is) so clawing my way back seems like an achievement but not much fun.

Tomorrow I might change my mind on some things.

c'mon SIUYA, if you have the right stop loss point * you don't get a margin call and your account won't blow up. The point is that a gun can be used as a stop loss point to halt further damage to self and others. - in real, instead of financial, life and death situations.

In both cases, the person has 'attracted' threats by 'being at the wrong place at the wrong time, etc.

Here's the discrepancy -

We have traders who would never 'walk around' without a way to stop out / limit losses financially... but they're completely ready to go totally faith based and would walk around without means to stop or limit losses to real physical life. They see the sense in being willing to carry their iMobiledevice into any situation to protect their financial safety... yet these same ppl. do not see the sense in carrying an appropriate tool into any situation to protect their actual physical life. They would never tell a fellow trader to just hope for "just lucky i guess" - yet they're willing to depend on "just lucky i guess" when the bullets start flying...

* not restricting it to just stop orders, btw.

Zdo - for once you missed the point. Its system specific. :) Window bars, alarms, not advertising goods in a house etc; etc; etc; are alternatives to jumping straight into what is a pretty final/drastic stop loss.

Some choose to employ these safer methods first, and this probably helps create some luck for some of us and a different POV.

If you are a doomsayer (rough guess as yes for yourself) then on your own risk assessment you might choose to carry a weapon......for some of us we dont have your same view, have not had the same experiences, probably never will, and if things change we might change our views. (yes, yes, yes.....you think it will be too late).

Do i consider myself lucky - yes. Do i encourage and prefer this good luck - yes. Do i feel i need to prepare if things go badly in the world - yes. (Possibly less risk if i have two passports, and investments in different countries than trying to shoot my way out of somewhere......diversify.)

we just see the world differently and while the gun lovers kill each other some of us might survive.....if not - on to either a better place, or maybe nothing at all.

Everyone has their strategies - some will prosper, some will adapt quickly and some will and will not survive - such is life/trading.

Do i consider myself lucky - yes. Do i encourage and prefer this good luck - yes. Do i feel i need to prepare if things go badly in the world - yes. (Possibly less risk if i have two passports, and investments in different countries than trying to shoot my way out of somewhere......diversify.)

we just see the world differently and while the gun lovers kill each other some of us might survive.....if not - on to either a better place, or maybe nothing at all.

Everyone has their strategies - some will prosper, some will adapt quickly and some will and will not survive - such is life/trading.

couldn't you at least carry a pea shooter with one bullet? just in case? could it be that luck comes to those who work hard and maybe arm themselves?

c'mon SIUYA, if you have the right stop loss......

A stop loss can't be grabbed or stolen from you and then used against you or someone else.

Oh but I guess all the tough guy Chuck Norris types here wouldn't let that happen to them. :roll eyes:

293660_472643802770659_540037378_n.jpg

I too give credence to the voice of Mufasah in Disney's "The Lion King". If he had a hand gun, Scar never would have gotten the better of him. It makes him an authority. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by MightyMouse

I too give credence to the voice of Mufasah in Disney's "The Lion King". If he had a hand gun, Scar never would have gotten the better of him. It makes him an authority. Thanks for sharing.

Dixie Chicks were told shut up and sing.

"we got both kinds of music Country and Western" yee haa :)

Same sentiment but with a twist could be said for Darth Vader, shut up and act (voiceover from the rocking chair nowadays so long as the poly-grip holds)!

312364_2644649411963_2126737213_n.jpg

I guess the 'lame stream media" missed this:

On Sunday December 16, 2012 --2 days after the CT shooting-- a man went to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his EX-girlfriend. After he opened fire, most of the people in the restaurant fled next door to a theater.

The gunman followed them and entered the theater so he could shoot more people. He started shooting and people in the theater started running and screaming. It’s like the Aurora, CO theater story plus a restaurant!

Now aren’t you wondering why this isn’t a lead story in the national media along with the school shooting?

There was an off duty county deputy at the theater. SHE pulled out her gun and shot the man 4 times before he had a chance to kill anyone. So since this story makes the point that the best thing to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun, the media is treating it like it never happened.

Sgt. Castellano was awarded a Medal of Honor on 12/19 for her actions.

On Sunday December 16, 2012 --2 days after the CT shooting-- a man went to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his EX-girlfriend. After he opened fire, most of the people in the restaurant fled next door to a theater.

The gunman followed them and entered the theater so he could shoot more people. He started shooting and people in the theater started running and screaming. It’s like the Aurora, CO theater story plus a restaurant!

Now aren’t you wondering why this isn’t a lead story in the national media along with the school shooting?

There was an off duty county deputy at the theater. SHE pulled out her gun and shot the man 4 times before he had a chance to kill anyone. So since this story makes the point that the best thing to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun, the media is treating it like it never happened.

It's getting to the point where a guy can't even discipline his girlfriend with his gun anymore.

You might also take note that the gun was a legally purchased firearm. Another individual who is allowed to have a firearm who cannot discern between reality and fantasy. If he would not have had a firearm, no bystanders would have been injured.

Sure, you can look at it as Thank Goodness the off duty cop was there.

To protect your unlimited ability to have firearms, guns are going to fall into the hands of completely deranged individuals. All this to protect yourself from the boogie man.

Sam Harris just wrote in his blog about gun control. I'm a big fan of Harris so I was interested to read it. I was surprised to see it was more or less pro-gun (with limits), as he is generally liberal. His argument seems reasonable to me. He is certainly no idiot and no right-wing/NRA nut job.

The Riddle of the Gun : Sam Harris

Harris has posted a short follow-up and FAQ to his original post: FAQ on Violence : Sam Harris

The FAQ seems like it is a work-in-progress, so if anyone cares to be updated when more FAQ's have been added, simply follow him on twitter: https://twitter.com/SamHarrisOrg

Edited by Cory2679