Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?

• Agriculture
    • Energy
    • Equities
    • Equity Index
    • FX
    • Interest Rate
    • Metals
    • Other

Greetings traders,

My name is Mark and I m an admin on http://www.eldercharts.com. Basically, we chart and offer tools described by Dr Alexander Elder. We don't offer any interpretation, that's what the books are for ;)

All services are free on the website, and we purchase our EOD data from a reliable source. We chart ASX, NYSE, NASDAQ and LSE and we will be introducing forex soon.

So we are interested in getting some feedback on the website (particularly from new traders). We anticipate responses will fall into three categories:

1) Useful

2) Could be useful with further development

3) Waste of time and bandwidth

(We expect the last will be a popular response)

So please tell us what you think. What we could do better. What you don't like etc.

Happy trading,

Mark

Are you licensed by Dr Alexander Elder?

or are you an agent of Dr Alexander Elder?

do you have advertisements on your website?

what good are charts without interpretation?

why don't you post the chart here at TradersLaboratory.com?

@ Mysticforex: Cheers, looking forward to the feedback.

@ Tams: Ill PM you regarding the legalities surrounding the site, I don't think that for the purposes of an introduction thread, that the discussion is suited here :)

Re the interpretation: we could, but we are largely focused at providing the tools and we are new to TL, charts to follow :)

Are you licensed by Dr Alexander Elder?

or are you an agent of Dr Alexander Elder?

do you have advertisements on your website?

what good are charts without interpretation?

why don't you post the chart here at TradersLaboratory.com?

If you click on his link, this is the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

Eldercharts.com © 2011 - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement

Eldercharts.com is in no way affiliated with Dr Alexander Elder, Elder.com or any publishers.

Hey folks, I am getting into options and not sure if this is the right forum. Looking for a broker with Optionsxpress vs Optionhouse. Any thoughts pro or con or is this a whole nother ball game? Thanks, just doing a lot of learning with the fact I have to know where to set my stops and my targets as that has knocked me out a bunch on simulated trade. Thanks digger

Oh yeah, I build engines for Hot Rods, race cars, boats and boggers here in Hotlanta.

Hey folks, I am getting into options and not sure if this is the right forum. Looking for a broker with Optionsxpress vs Optionhouse. Any thoughts pro or con or is this a whole nother ball game? Thanks, just doing a lot of learning with the fact I have to know where to set my stops and my targets as that has knocked me out a bunch on simulated trade. Thanks digger

Oh yeah, I build engines for Hot Rods, race cars, boats and boggers here in Hotlanta.

Thinkorswim is the way to go, imo DiggerDon. They're the Apple of options brokerage platforms.

Hi Everybody!

BTW, thank you to everybody who contributes consistently here... I've been active in other communities like ET for years now, but after spending the last few months as a guest viewer here at TradersLab I decided I wanted to expand my sphere to this community of very knowledgeable individuals :).

Glad to have you on board John!

MMS

Hello! I am a relatively new trader and figured it would be a good idea to join these forums and get some feedback on my strategies.

I'm two years out of college (private school in the Northeast), where I studied finance and computer science. A few months ago I came up with a theory for a profitable short-term trading strategy. I bought and downloaded historical stock data from the major US stock exchanges, and I created a script to simulate my proposed strategy based on that data. The result of the simulation was not only profitable, but it far exceeded my expectations.

The results of the testing yielded an average of 1000% annual return before taxes over the past five years, and the simulation did take into account transaction costs. The highest return was 5000% in 2009 and the lowest was 223% in 2008. I finished testing my strategy in mid-March of 2011, and started putting it to action on April 1, 2011. The first month generated a return of 21.99%, and my YTD return is 30% right now (although it is quite volatile so it could change before the end of the day).

I'm looking forward to being a part of these forums and posting my results!

Hi jlove,

Welcome to TL! I don't want to dampen your expectations but generally you shouldn't expect to get such great results when you test the system in a live market. Backtesting and optimisation of systems is a skill that people take years to master.

TheNegotiator,

Thanks! I'm with you a hundred percent on setting realistic expectations. I have been cautiously optimistic at best, and I am not expecting to generate the returns that I made in the simulation. I was careful to avoid any kind of biases when developing the system and testing such as survivorship bias, data mining, etc. Even still, there were a few drawbacks in my testing that could impact the live performance of the strategy.

My optimism has grown for three reasons: (1) the first month live returns are consistent with the returns from the backtesting, (2) the strategy is simple (mitigating risk of human error), and (3) all decisions are based on quantitative factors so no judgement on my part is required. I am happy about how much my initial amount has grown since implementing the strategy, and while I don't expect to achieve quadruple or triple digit annual returns I hope to at least outperform the market.

Well I'd definitely say good luck to you then! But the one thing that you must always bear in mind is that even with the most highly effective strategy, if it isn't implemented with strong money management methods, the account will have a margin call before you even see it coming.

Hi all...

I am an ex Institutional Spot FX trader (mainly $/¥, €/¥, €/$ ) however as an independent trader I now primarily daytrade Futures: ES.

Also had a stint as a broker (Institutional side) back in the 90's...

Cheers

Yes, there is a China Grove just on the East Side Of San Antonio where my wife of 40 years and various felines reside with me in a well hidden, landscaped home. World Head Quarters For Rancho Relaxo! I hope you all are well and we can learn from each other. I can tell you now, I'll be the one doing the learning! Thank you for allowing us to join!

Thank you, MMS! I deal primarily (exclusively) in stocks. Those with a history of large, dependable dividends: AGNC, EVEP, NLY, Etc. I'm "scanning the globe" for as much information as possible so as to make sense of the various dates involved, so I don't have money tied up when I don't need to...or, worse, miss out on the divvy entirely. That hasn't happened as of yet!

Thank you for the welcome..Best wishes to all! J.

Hello.

Just joined up today.

I started trading about 4 years ago and lost most of my money very quickly.

Came back to it early this year with the tiny bit of money that I had left and

much more disapline. Doing a little better now.

David. :)

And a "Howdy" to you, Mysticforex, from China Grove! No idiots..lots of crazies! Thanks for the welcome! S

BTW... You mentioned "Felines", we have 2 Savanah's, and 1 Bengal in our household!

Hello.

Just joined up today.

I started trading about 4 years ago and lost most of my money very quickly.

Came back to it early this year with the tiny bit of money that I had left and

much more disapline. Doing a little better now.

David. :)

Welcome David, good to have you here. Look foward to hearing more from you.