Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?

• Agriculture
    • Energy
    • Equities
    • Equity Index
    • FX
    • Interest Rate
    • Metals
    • Other

Welcome cashcarewins and good luck! Is that your twitter name too and what will you be trading?

Yes it is. I sometimes say I was the original "SPTrader" back in the 80's. But now there are "SPTrader's" everywhere, so I changed my moniker. It emphasizes my weakest point, money management, thus always reminding me of that.

Hey guys,

Just got back from the first day of the London Trader's Expo, and I was informed of this site. Seems really useful, hopefully I'll be able to learn loads from this!

I'm totally new to trading/investing. I've got experience in playing around with virtual stock exchanges and spread betting demo accounts, otherwise I've yet to invest in real life.

Any tips?? Is a mentor/coach essential? I'm thinking of spreadbetting on forex - is this profitable if you're good?

I'm sure I will have dozens more questions to ask. But I guess I'll ask them whenever I encounter them to keep this post short.

Thanks. :)

Rob.

It's a long hard road to success in trading. Part of the problem is finding good information. Anyone can give their opinion about trading. Trading is probably a lot like hunting or fishing. You don't know for sure whether there are any fish out there or where they are. If you see game, you may need to fire at a moving target. And what your hunting, might decide it's going to hunt you.

Hi Rob,

Just like you I visited the Expo in London and registered on this site, so this is my first post. I wasn't aware of it before.

I'm not totally new to trading but I'm looking to focus a bit more on options and possibly futures.

Spreadbetting on forex can be profitable if you get some guidance. I learned the hard way without guidance and banging my head but made some good money over the years.

If you're talking about a mentor/coach in the sense of people charging you thousands of pounds/dollars/euro/pesos/lei/etc, then I'm personally very sceptical. I'm not a fan of technical analysis in Forex.

I did get tangled up in drawing support and resistance lines, fibonaccis, elliot waves, bollinger bands and possibly some other instruments that you can think of, including testing some Expert Advisors on MT4 platforms but Forex markets are not driven by a green candlestick bar superceding a red bar or vice versa.

If I can help, then let me know.

My main reason though for joining the forum is to learn more about options.

Cheers,

Pippovic

Hi guys,

Good to see you signed up!! There are many, many things to learn in trading and so many things to consider. We have so much on the site that really if you think of something, take a look around or search on the main page for whatever you are looking for. Of course if there is anything specific I'd be glad to help! Maybe start off by taking a look at:-

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f30/considerations-wannabe-trader-9328.html

We have an options section here Pippovic so take a look and by all means contribute. There is much more to trading though than product specifics.

Good luck guys!

Hello fellow traders, I've come across this site many times and figured it's time to join. I've been trading, mostly the ES emini, now for about 3 yrs. Not sure I have alot to contribute yet but am looking forward to soaking up all the info I can here to improve my trading skills.

Ah, welcome finally Sierra! Glad to have you with us and I always personally like to see fellow E-mini traders here at TL. Just remember, although we have a great deal of info to read, the most useful thing you will take from the site is direct interaction with other traders. It's really great to gain perspective this way IMO. I hope you enjoy yourself and I look forward to seeing you in the forums!

Hi Everybody!

My name's John, I'll save the bio for my profile (it's already up there if you want to read my life story), but I thought it polite to say "hi".

I've been futures trading for around 4 years now but am not a consistent day trader, as I have a separate "day job" that keeps me busy. I have an assisted account with my broker that keeps me active in the market and allows me to make my own trades when I can.

You'll probably see me the most over the weekends if I don't have additional work, though I'll also try to pop in during the week :).

BTW, thank you to everybody who contributes consistently here... I've been active in other communities like ET for years now, but after spending the last few months as a guest viewer here at TradersLab I decided I wanted to expand my sphere to this community of very knowledgeable individuals :).

Hi Everybody!

My name's John, I'll save the bio for my profile (it's already up there if you want to read my life story), but I thought it polite to say "hi".

I've been futures trading for around 4 years now but am not a consistent day trader, as I have a separate "day job" that keeps me busy. I have an assisted account with my broker that keeps me active in the market and allows me to make my own trades when I can.

You'll probably see me the most over the weekends if I don't have additional work, though I'll also try to pop in during the week :).

BTW, thank you to everybody who contributes consistently here... I've been active in other communities like ET for years now, but after spending the last few months as a guest viewer here at TradersLab I decided I wanted to expand my sphere to this community of very knowledgeable individuals :).

Hi John,

Welcome to TL! Interesting background there. I'm wondering how you muster the energy to trade after a hard day of M&A?! But then I also read you like skiing, rock climbing etc. and so it becomes clear! Lol. The amount of time is definitely something I would say you should plan around and probably you need to be looking at trading over days/weeks rather than daytrading. I'm not 100% on your level of understanding but from your profile it suggests to me you are still learning(as indeed should we all be!). So given the amount of time you have, it's also very important to quickly identify and reject useless trading material. Learning from a good source is key, so for anyone who doesn't have a structure for their trading, I'd say focus on finding out a bit about various techniques. Not the nuts and bolts of the technique but the basis for the technique and whether there are important peripheral concepts you need to understand in order to employ a certain technique. That's why TradersLab is such a useful FREE resource. You can read and interact with guys who are using these tools.

Anyway, enough of the ramble!

Welcome John!!

Hi All,

I'm Ryan.

I pair trade US equities (a basket of ~140 names) and I'm interested in learning more about FX. I work for a company called QuoteSentinel on the side that sends price notifications to your cell phone for US equitiies.

Looking forward to learning from the community

Hi all,

I am brand new here and brand new to any kind of trading...

I have some money which is just in a bank account not giving any return, so initially my idea was to buy gold so i started looking on the internet how I should do this...

I then started looking at spread betting, and now I am onto looking at how to start trading stocks..

However the more I read the more I am becoming confused of what and how to do things..

I would like to start trading small amounts and oviously dont want to be paying large commisions, but also, i would like to put most of my money to gold as I think it will give me a return (over the rest of this year)

Can someone please tell me what would be my best options..

Many thanks

legepe

Hi legepe,

Welcome to TL! You have come to the right place. I think read our forums. There is so much there and it is all free. You must understand what your goals are before starting investing/trading. I don't mean make lots of money for doing nothing either!! How much money do you have? How much time and effort can you put in?

Take a look at:-

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f30/considerations-wannabe-trader-9328.html

Greetings traders,

My name is Mark and I m an admin on http://www.eldercharts.com. Basically, we chart and offer tools described by Dr Alexander Elder. We don't offer any interpretation, that's what the books are for ;)

All services are free on the website, and we purchase our EOD data from a reliable source. We chart ASX, NYSE, NASDAQ and LSE and we will be introducing forex soon.

So we are interested in getting some feedback on the website (particularly from new traders). We anticipate responses will fall into three categories:

1) Useful

2) Could be useful with further development

3) Waste of time and bandwidth

(We expect the last will be a popular response)

So please tell us what you think. What we could do better. What you don't like etc.

Happy trading,

Mark