Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

I'm not going to be taking this one, but if I were, I'd be saying "Here we go!"

I took this trade, and have now moved my stop tighter...

(Albeit with only one PT, which is much closer.)

EU15M.JPG.e4b5627b66357797b3b29c1a943f4d1e.JPG

I'm all done for the day. Eventually I'll probably trade the first part of Asia too, but for right now, I like my trading confined to the first half of the day...it's good for my state of mind I think.

Pretty good first trading day for the year...this was my first day live in a long time. I started today with a $250 FXCM micro UK account.

I'll post today's P/L just for fun because I'm excited! :) I'm not going to make a habit of this though. At the most, I'll post weekly P/L. To me, it's just added stress to have to worry about posting daily results. I don't think I'm personally ready for that.

-Cory

EDIT: I posted this same thing in the P/L thread:

Hey guys,

I'll post things like this over there from now on, as it's the more appropriate thread...

AS.jpg.39237c46ad3e046b53fb44a89777f469.jpg

Edited by Cory2679

I'm all done for the day. Eventually I'll probably trade the first part of Asia too, but for right now, I like my trading confined to the first half of the day...it's good for my state of mind I think.

Pretty good first trading day for the year...this was my first day live in a long time. I started today with a $250 FXCM micro UK account.

I'll post today's P/L just for fun because I'm excited! :) I'm not going to make a habit of this though. At the most, I'll post weekly P/L. To me, it's just added stress to have to worry about posting daily results. I don't think I'm personally ready for that.

-Cory

Congrats Cory, great trading!

2) You made 9 ticks, which is 2.25 ES points (though on the BP it is half the value/tick), but the point is, how many "veterans" are out there posting on the internet about having a "1-2" ES point/day goal, i.e. 4-8 ticks profit/day? Quite a few, in my experience. And a number of them have had the ______s (keeping it clean for when my daughter gets home and reads this), to write instructional trading books that sell for $40, $60, $80 or more/copy? So, let me know when your book is coming out!

Thales - Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words and positive reinforcement not only for myself, but for everyone in this thread.

Secondly, I found your comparison to the ES a bit eye-opening... I traded (and failed mostly) the ES for over two years because thats what my mentor taught me on and I would be jumping off the walls if I made two points (100/per) on a day and heaven forbid I squeaked out 3 points. My results these days in comparison blow my old performance out of the water and I need to keep that in perspective. Ticks are ticks.

But as an aside - I look at the ES from time to time and I gotta be honest I hate that market more than anything out there. The moves are congested and tight and backfill is almost a never ending problem. Yet most new futures traders think they HAVE to trade the ES. I used to be under that assumption as well, if for no other reason than to "prove it" to the market and myself.

Yet, after we stop acting like egotistical jerks and just go where the easiest opportunity lies (currencies, crude, gold) it just makes life so much easier.

[/nonsensical rant] Cheers! :)

*edit* Just saw your first day results cory and that is AWESOME! Great job man!!!

We also took a short on the EURJPY and it dropped so quickly I didn't have chance to get a screen capture.

We got stopped out with 9.9 pips on this EURJPY short. We'll probably find we left ticks on the table, but when something drops like that and bounces like that, I have no problem taking what I can before it takes me for what it can.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f92a99f9_2010-01-04EURJPY2.thumb.jpg.def5c961d560118c774cdca5ccdca138.jpg

Sorry for the late post, but we took this short on the GBPUSD.

We also took a short on the EURJPY and it dropped so quickly I didn't have chance to get a screen capture.

Best Wishes,

Thales

I was just about to ask if that was a valid set up. Cheers, thanks for that.

Just took it at 92.30, so it might as well tank now.

Do you want us to post our platform credentials, littlefish? I'll do that - as I said, 9.9 on the EJ short ... GBPUSD is still open ... total PnL shows 10.4 because we had a .5 tick profit on an earlier GBPUSD short where we jumped the gun a bit.

We got stopped out with 9.9 pips on this EURJPY short. We'll probably find we left ticks on the table, but when something drops like that and bounces like that, I have no problem taking what I can before it takes me for what it can.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17192&stc=1&d=1262655310

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f92ace05_2010-01-04EURJPY3.jpg.e6c8bcef9513942cd2e0103361eb8340.jpg

Thales, it's your thread. I just didn't want folks to see my previous posting too useless, that's all.

No problem, littlefish, I'm perhaps a bit too sensitive right now. I've had a couple of PM's in the last month or so from folks basically telling me I'm a fraud and wanting to know "what my deal is."

I have no deal. No books. No cd's, dvd's, no trading rooms, etc. and so forth. The last thing I want is to be obligated to anyone. Right now, I could log off TL and disappear forever owing no one anything. That's how I want it. I came here freely, and when the time comes, I will leave the same way - of my own free will. What you see is what you get, and you get a lot more here at TL (not just from me, but from a lot of folks) for free than you do from all those seminars, books, cd's, dvd's software, etc and so on for which folks pay hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Sorry, littlefish, if I came across as a bit cross. I certainly didn't mean to make you wear someone else's black eye. And I for one do not find your posts at all useless. I hope you keep them coming.

Best to you, truly,

Thales

No problem, littlefish, I'm perhaps a bit too sensitive right now. I've had a couple of PM's in the last month or so from folks basically telling me I'm a fraud and wanting to know "what my deal is."

My word, how stupid some people are. Please just delete those emails Thales and remember you have many grateful friends on TL that appreciate your thoughts and ideas immensely. I guess the eternal problem with the internet is that it lets everyone in, even the idiots.

I've had a couple of PM's in the last month or so...

That's a real shame...I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're perfectly aware of the impact you've had on some people here and how grateful we are. Those people who PM'd you aren't truly mad at you, they're truly mad at themselves and this is how they're handling their own frustration. These people are in stage 3 of the "stages of a trader" - The Cynical Skepticism Stage.

"This excuse-driven blame game is a dead-end viewpoint, and explains a lot of what you find on message boards. Those who can't pull themselves out of it will quit."

Plus, there are people out there with certain strong beliefs, that they have for whatever reason, that they're not willing to forsake. One example might be that reading price is impossible (because they have yet to succeed at it or understand it).

Edited by Cory2679

I'm perhaps a bit too sensitive right now. I've had a couple of PM's in the last month or so from folks basically telling me I'm a fraud and wanting to know "what my deal is."

Why not publish their PMs?

Cowards don't like the lime light.

They are probably worried about a public backlash if they would have made their views known in the forum instead of through PMs.

Gabe

Yeah, I'm sure you[Thales] know there will always be $h*(-bags out there that love to stir the pot. So I say in a Tony Soprano type tone, "Fa-get about it..."

There is still money to be made and lessons to be learned.... so back to the regularly scheduled programming, let's continue to see some REAL-TIME trades that always trump the 100% success rate of hindsight trades!!!

I would also like to put in a request for some futures, maybe some NQ looks?

Question from today...... if looking at the NQ today early morning on the 5 or 15 minute chart, is there any reason this short was a bad idea? I can see in hindsight why the Long may have been a better choice..... given the solid blue as a prior area where price attempted to BO, and even the minor Support on the dotted blue. 5 min chart just showing a bit more detail.

NoSell.thumb.jpg.e7539de7da17f8b170688b15fe0cc6bf.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure you[Thales] know there will always be $h*(-bags out there that love to stir the pot. So I say in a Tony Soprano type tone, "Fa-get about it..."

There is still money to be made and lessons to be learned.... so back to the regularly scheduled programming, let's continue to see some REAL-TIME trades that always trump the 100% success rate of hindsight trades!!!

I would also like to put in a request for some futures, maybe some NQ looks?

Question from today...... if looking at the NQ today early morning on the 5 or 15 minute chart, is there any reason this short was a bad idea? I can see in hindsight why the Long may have been a better choice..... given the solid blue as a prior area where price attempted to BO, and even the minor Support on the dotted blue. 5 min chart just showing a bit more detail.

Hi Forrestang,

I know you don't know me from Tom, Dick, or Harry but I will throw in my two cents worth and hopefully you can verify it on your own. Just as a general rule, when you have a very strong gap at the open in the stock e-minis, most of the time the trend will continue in that direction.

And what is a strong gap, I don't know how to explain it, but when you see it, you'll recognize it.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Jands

That's a real shame...I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're perfectly aware of the impact you've had on some people here and how grateful we are. Those people who PM'd you aren't truly mad at you, they're truly mad at themselves and this is how they're handling their own frustration. These people are in stage 3 of the "stages of a trader" - The Cynical Skepticism Stage.

"This excuse-driven blame game is a dead-end viewpoint, and explains a lot of what you find on message boards. Those who can't pull themselves out of it will quit."

Plus, there are people out there with certain strong beliefs, that they have for whatever reason, that they're not willing to forsake. One example might be that reading price is impossible (because they have yet to succeed at it or understand it).

I have to agree, Ive only been here a short time and can honestly say there no fraud here. I have seen frauds a plenty in my travels to find good teaching and Thales, your a breath of fresh air!