Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

I am currently watching this potential short setup on EU. I was stalking a long on UJ earlier but it became to choppy for my liking.

Watching the same short.. Hoping a new set of lower highs develop for a tighter stop.

EDIT: Your wish is my command! Although this could go both ways.. The RR on the long isn't as good.

5aa70f8e2b95a_EURUSD12_31_2009(10Min).jpg.04784ce00fd71c47e107eed886fce40a.jpg

Edited by ziebarf

I love logging in here and seeing folks posting their trades based on what we've put together here in this thread.

What is really neat is that many folks are starting to see the same opportunities as they unfold. This shows that this approach has a degree of objectivity to it that allows multiple traders to see the same things.

It also shows that this really can be communicated to one another, which means it can also be taught and learned, and that the hard part is the discipline necessary to put it to work and the emotional discipline to manage your trades properly.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Congratulations, this is a very favorable end-of-year balance!

It ist so difficult to transport a chain of ideas without loss from one mind to another, especially in trading with its thousands of methods, indicators etc.

Update 2: PT1 hit, stop moved to BE.

Update 3: Stop moved tighter.

EDIT: I had made a mistake on my original image post, so I posted a new one, and now I realize the new one does not make obvious why I moved my stop, so I've now attached a 1 minute. Price was moving pretty impulsivly against me and I was looking for a solid natural area on the chart to where I could move my stop.

GU15M4.JPG.432b8569a4cb5bce3ee95f7d4985d7bd.JPG

GU1M.JPG.7e666d7a1f3f8899bed4824793d29ab6.JPG

Edited by Cory2679
mistake on image markings

Hi Folks,

I am very impressed with the analysis and trades I have seen posted here over the last few days.

Thank you for helping me with this thread!

Best Wishes,

Thales

Hi Thales

Personally I believe thanks is really owed to you for showing the way here to many (myself included).

As a mentor and teacher you have done a sterling job!

Cheers,

eNQ

Edited by fxThunder
typo

As an aside, I also took the GU short that Cory is currently managing and am including screenshot with trendlines included.

I use these quite extensively to assist my trading and initially thought I should rather not show them in my screenshots but decided to post this GU example anyway as it does show quite clearly how they assist me in identifying areas to look for setups.

I do not want to get into an extensive discussion about the the merits of trendlines and their usage and would rather not show them if it in any form takes this thread off track.

Cheers,

eNQ

5aa70f8e7f5e3_31DecGUtradeattarget.thumb.png.d0ac4a562bf2a081e6df67778edbca12.png

Update 3: Stop moved tighter.

Trade finished. 1st Half = +36.4 ticks, 2nd Half = +8.4 ticks (AVG = +22.4).

That's it for me. I have somewhere I have to be soon.

Happy New Year!

GU15M5.JPG.6c996731e13d4030bab9c8c7dc5ab15e.JPG

I was also looking for a short here on the EU but was waiting for a w5 before I took it... Got short last time into a w4 and got stopped so I was waiting... In hindsight I guess the wave count in yellow was correct but I was basing my analysis off of the wave count in white... Thales is the 1,2 in yellow valid to you?

Thanks for your help...

attachment.php?attachmentid=17029&stc=1&d=1262287763

6e_tl.thumb.jpg.5ae39c2c78561bf7559b3986e64a5ca0.jpg

Lets talk Chop Zones, and bear with me while I do so by way of (gasp, sigh, growls of disgust) Elliot Wave.

For so many reasons I have minimized the EW discussion here. Before I get to your question, DaKine, about your count today on the 6E, I want to make a couple of points.

First, the approach I have presented here is a very forgiving approach. It stands on its own without the extra props of Elliot Wave, fibs, etc. I happen to find EW and fibs both useful, but do not alow either to trump basic S/R and price action itself.

Second, I do not always see clear EW counts. I do not even look for them. I use them only when they are so clear that even an Elliot Wave Guru could find the right count the first time. So if you do not see a clear five wave pattern or three wave pattern, do not worry about it. The main thing is which way is price impulsing or thrusting and where is is price chopping about and over lapping.

I have used the concept of the chop zone here in this thread. This is a good example of why I call it a chop zone, and not a "triangle" as many would do. A triangle, in EW terms, is always the last wave before the end of the current impulse, and therefore, it is always either a wave B or a wave 4. However, looking at price action today, I see what you saw, a triangle like formation out of which EW would ave me expecting an upward thrust before any tradable short would opportunity would occur. Well, price didn't do what EW would have us expect. So, if you were expecting an upthrust out of that formation, you would have missed the short. However, had you used the "chop zone" concept I have shared, where price makes both a HL and a LH in between a last real H and real L, then you should take your cue form that last H and L, and trade in the direction price breaks.

Is it 100%? No. But it is pretty darn close. Just go back through this thread and see if you can count more than one or two times out of how many chop zones I posted where trading it the way I have suggested would have resulted in a whip saw.

Now, as to your EW count:

I was also looking for a short here on the EU but was waiting for a w5 before I took it... Got short last time into a w4 and got stopped so I was waiting... In hindsight I guess the wave count in yellow was correct but I was basing my analysis off of the wave count in white... Thales is the 1,2 in yellow valid to you?

Thanks for your help...

attachment.php?attachmentid=17029&stc=1&d=1262287763

Wave 3 cannot be the shortest wave in terms of extent, whereas your count has wave 3 as the shortest. Here is how I see it from the comfort of hindsight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17030&stc=1&d=1262291220

Yes, you shorted a wave four the other day and got stopped out. So what? As I said, this approach is very forgiving. Had you then shorted the very next opportunity, which I know you saw, and several others as well posted here in real time, then your small loss on your first short would have been made back with profit to spare to make for a positive day.

Do not get hung up on wave counts.

Focus on S/R and highs and lows and managing your risk and your emotions.

EW is a tool. It is not, at least in my view, an approach unto itself. The approach as I understand it is to trade in the direction price is indicating it is going to move by buying higher highs and selling lower lows. Every trade I make is based upon that and that alone. EW is a tool that remains in the tool box most of the time, but when I see an opporunity for which it is an appropriate tool, I'll bring it out, use it, wipe it down, and put it away until the next time it is the appropriate tool to use.

I hope that helps.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f8ec238f_12-31-2009EW1.thumb.jpg.a4baaad5d46fa0393a20273fb1db823a.jpg

Happy New Year everyone.

Well, because system trading is boring I've decided to add a little discretionary trading to hold my interest. I plan to post here although the method is not Thales. I will however "read charts in real time" and post in real time.

I plan to trade off the hourly charts; trade EU, GJ and UJ. Later I may drop UJ and trade AE instead (or as well) but I want to get a better feel for how crosses (GJ) respect S&R vs majors (UJ) first.

I'll basically use two approaches to entry:

- wait for direction (thrust, over the mas etc etc) then buy either simple pullbacks if fresh or pullbacks that involve multiple tests (and stops being broken).

- buy the break out points when it looks good in the style of two threads from forex factory

. . . wmd's Trading With Deadly Accuracy Method and

. . . BRV's No Brainer Trades Method

Then I'll be using a similar exit to Thales. First off at a little over 1:1 and S&R. Second off at S&R normally but with a trailing stop if there seems to be a trend on the daily chart.

Nothing too sophisticated and I may drop the second entry method if I'm not getting good results ... but I have a hankering to try it so I might as well document the try in real time :)

My charts for each pair look like this. The reason for the 5m chart is that on the pullback entry style I sometimes will enter on the hourly break and will sometimes look for a short timeframe pullback first --- depending on the preceding 5m action. I'll probably post the second version to show the trade though as its simpler.

So, it's hourly bar break instead of 15m pattern break - which will often give similar entries to Thale's method. Or its just buy where I think it should stop - which will be interesting and probably wrong (in which case it will be abandoned fairly quickly).

EU.thumb.png.3ed1e1682ff128192d3100a06e6cb30d.png

eud.thumb.png.43652fa7b16e21129d5e1e965d3bb5a6.png

One change. Dropping GBP.JPY in favour of GBP.USD and AUD.USD.

Why? Because the major currency movers trade the majors and thus S&R on GJ is a side effect of the real S&R; the S&R on GU and UJ.

For so many reasons I have minimized the EW discussion here. ...

This complete post is a very suitable opening for 2010.

For many reasons I can confirm your findings from my own experience trading. EW is an ex post (hindsight) analyzing technique. If one reads EW literature carefully, every pattern needs a confirmation move to make the pattern reliable.

But as a trader, you cannot wait for this move to complete. If you wait, the trading opportunity is gone. Only as an analyst (or guru) you have the neccessary time to wait for pattern completion.

The reason for this is the fractal nature of prices movements. When price moves from one major level to another, it almost never moves in a straight line. The movement is broken into fractals, which are broken into fractals, which are broken into fractals ....

The breakup is driven by market forces and by chance. EW tries to guess the full move from the pieces of the puzzle (fractals) that are currently visible. This is in vain since chance is involved. Fractals always break a large move into smaller segments. They never construct a large move from known smaller pieces.

Lets talk Chop Zones, and bear with me while I do so by way of (gasp, sigh, growls of disgust) Elliot Wave.

I have used the concept of the chop zone here in this thread. This is a good example of why I call it a chop zone, and not a "triangle" as many would do.

I hope that helps.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Yes it did help me several times, since I began reading this thread. Thanks a lot again.

When I first saw it here, I thought "well, he just feels a triangle". But your concept is much better since there is no need for all the tricky details of different types of triangles and their confirmation.

One simply waits until price leaves the outer boundaries of the chop zone. That's all, no magic involved.

Edited by Marko23
Typo