Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Adamned

Objective ways to define a trend day before the trend has run its course??

Recently a light bulb has turned on in my head. The second most important thing in intra-day trading the stock indexes is knowing what type of strategy to employ. Either a range strategy or a trend strategy. The first most important thing is of course risk management which addresses the crucial aspect of stops and position sizing.

I would greatly appreciate some creative ideas which would help all the great people on this forum trade a little better. The objective is to help determine which strategy is the correct strategy to employ on any given day.

In hindsight its very easy to determine which was the correct strategy but in live trading its a totally different story. After deep thought and long back testing I have found it makes an enormous difference if I use only a trend strategy on trend days and a range strategy on range days. Now the problem is actually achieving such a great feat.

I like some of the ideas from tony crabel for assisting in this area such as NR4 and NR7. If you are not familiar with his book its basically just when you have an inside day expect a persistent trend when the high or low of the inside day is breached by a predetermined spread. This is a good tool to have in ones arsenal but its not enough. Many trend days occur with out a previous narrow range. I have read the indicators such as ADX and volatility indicator (not implied or historic) can help in this area. I don't particularly like indicators but if some one has had good experiences with indicators for this purpose i would love to hear about it. Thanks for the help and good trading to all.

I just had a light bulb moment today...as a noob I know I should NOT be trading this type of monthly ATR. :rofl:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f18/mcs-house-of-mirrors-2553.html

I made a lengthy post about the volatility this month has shown. Don't get me wrong, those that know how to trade are making a KILLING in this insanity. For the rest that don't have discipline or experience it's a gamble at best IMO.

With the combination of market profile and market internals you can usually get a very good indication of the trading environment shortly after the open. Market Profile is the process of using statistics to define the previous days fair price. In general, a market that breaks out and/or finds S/R outside the value area (with market internals behind it) will trend in that direction looking for the new fair price (many times previous value areas). A market currently inside the value area will move from one side to the other until interest is found outside, usually with increasing internals in that direction. Of course this is based off a normal distribution day. In my opinion you not only need the price action (daily candle, market profile, opening range, etc) but also the market internals to make educated decisions about trading conditions.

Hlm,

Can you please explain what you mean by "market internals"?

Thank you,

Bert

Sure, no problem.

Market internals are used to help show the current sentiment. Some of the more popular ones are the TRIN, A/D, and TICK.

Again, you don't want to use these by themselves and the exact number is not what's important. What's important is where it's coming from and at what speed. I hope that helps.

bertq,

Take a look at this video regarding TICKS I created.

cool vid James.

Have you ever tried cummulative tick in esignal? I've been thinking about giving esignal a go just to try it out if I can't get it going in Ninja.

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2008/01/nyse-tick-and-intraday-trending.html

Funny Crabel was mentioned as I'm just starting to try to integrate an ORB type strategy into my trading for this very reason. I don't think its very realistic to expect to be able to predict a trend day with much accuracy before hand. I think focusing on tools that have to do with the opening range/intial balance is probly a better way to go.

The only other market generated information at hand would be how the high of the day is violated. You also have to figure different types of trend days. Yesterday was pretty trendy but more in the sense of auctioning to higher and higher balance areas. The open test reverse during the IB with really strong positive TICK was probly a good clue, but still only a clue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Hyperinflation is a monetary phenomenon and demand is not as significant factor in pushing up prices. Prices go up because the value of the fiat paper money is falling as more and more is created. Example:  In Zimbabwe stores didn't even have goods on the shelves, people were hungry,  water and  electricity was scarce, no public transportation, gas was sold on the black market and large quantities of paper money confiscated...and yet the Stock market kept soaring... As the hyperinflation started to gain traction, there was a six week period in which the currency tumbled 10-fold. That’s a huge drop. During that time the stock market rose 500-fold. So corrected for inflation, the stock market rose 50-fold measured in US dollars. Six weeks later, the Zimbabwe currency had eroded another 100-fold and the Zimbabwe stock market went to zero. It fell 99.9% and then it stopped trading. In other words, ONLY those invested in PHYSICAL Gold and Silver were safe...the others lost it ALL!  Thank god Nothing and I mean NOTHING like that could ever happen in the developed nations because we are very smart and we don’t have any corruption or moral hazards ... see https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2  for how to smartly drag out destruction and collapse ... still, ultimately ... "Good money drives out the bad."  So we really just have the one little issue to deal with - for us  no good money currently exists on this planet to drive out the bad ...  ...maybe we should just trust them to build us a new eCurrency on their blockchain. .. I'm just sayin'
    • SP gets 'interesting' for me at ~3150 and / or ~ 06/15 ... just sayin'     ///   “I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other,” Shelley’s Frankenstein ... could be anyone's Frankenstein ... we've all created a personal franken inside... just sayin'
    • EUR/CHF APPROACHING THE OVERBOUGHT REGION, SELLERS MAY EMERGE   Key Resistance Levels: 1.09000, 1.10000, 1.11000 Key Support Levels: 1.05400, 1.05200, 1.05000 EUR/CHF Price Long-term Trend: Bullish EUR/CHF pair is in an uptrend. The pair rebounded at the low of 1.05000 to resume an upward move. A correction candle body tested the 0.618 Fibonacci retracement level. This indicates that the pair will rise and reach  level 1.618 Fibonacci extension level. This is at the price level of 1.07500. However, the Relative Strength indicates that the market has reached the overbought region. This pair may likely fall. EUR/CHF – Daily Chart Daily Chart Indicators Reading: EUR/CHF is at level 78 of the Relative Strength index period 14. EUR/CHF has reached the overbought region. Sellers may likely emerge to push prices down. The 50-day SMA and 21-day SMA are sloping upward indicating the bull market. EUR/CHF Medium-term Trend: Bullish On the 4-hour chart, the EUR/CHF pair was earlier in an uptrend. The pair has reached level 1.08055 and approaching the overbought region. The pair may be resisted at a high of level 1.08500. EUR/CHF – 4 Hour Chart 4-hour Chart Indicators Reading The 50-day and 21-day SMA are sloping upward indicating the uptrend. The pair is above 80% range of the daily stochastic. EUR/CHF pair is now in the overbought region. The 21-day SMA crosses over the 50-day SMA indicating the uptrend. General Outlook for EUR/CHF EUR/CHF is an upward move but approaching the overbought region. It is likely to reverse and resume a downward move. Source: https://learn2.trade 
    • EURUSD CONFRONTS A LARGER BARRIER AT 1.1257 LEVEL WHILE EXITING OVERBOUGHT POSITIONS EURUSD Price Analysis – June 4 EURUSD ‘s latest dip from a high of 1.1257 while vacating overbought positions to a level of around 1.1200 could pave way for the rally to recover. In recent days the awaited announcement of the ECB ‘s decision has risen and improved the euro – potentially putting the FX pair higher. Key Levels Resistance Levels: 1.1495, 1.1366, 1.1257 Support Levels: 1.1020, 1.0870, 1.0635 EURUSD Long term Trend: Ranging After seven daily progressions in a row, ranging at 3-month highs in the previous session’s level of 1.1257, EURUSD is now under some downward pressure and falling to the sub-1.1200 area. Sellers in the pair moved in following conditions of overbought (according to daily RSI). The pair is presently declining 0.27 percent at level 1.1203 and confronts initial support at level 1.1020 followed by level 1.0950 and eventually level 1.0870 (low). On the contrary, a 1.1257 (high) level breakthrough may aim 1.1366 (high) inching closer to 1.1458 (high) level. EURUSD Short term Trend: Bullish On the 4-hour chart, the Relative Strength Index has fallen underneath 70, exiting overbought conditions. Momentum stays upside-down and the pair shifts between the 5 and 13 moving average. Resistance lies at level 1.1236, a necessary step on the way to the top in the last few days, leading to a new high of 1.1257 level. The next significant level to note is level 1.1366 as seen on the daily chart. Short term support beckons at a level of 1.1183, a support line in recent days, trailed by a level of 1.1146, a high swing from April, and also a range sealer. Source: https://learn2.trade                   
    • Quick Chart Update as ES Target gets Hit as shown above in previous threads but ViX still taking time ... Perhaps there is fair amount of early Precautionary-Puts due to current unrest situation in US Respectfully Flat on Swing Position around close on Wednesday & Preparing for the next Anticipated Volatility Note Much Gaps needs to be filled below on ES, but still keeping an Open Mind about the direction   Play it Safe and Nimble, & Keep BIAS away Enjoy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.