Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Support Center Have any questions regarding the site? Submit a support ticket here. Check this section for announcements also.

Like Tree22Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
Sky Blocks Champion

Ignore this user

Re: Off Topic and Moderation

i like a democratic self regulating free and open market.....so i vote for no moderation and let the punters decide.
On that note - this requires more seasoned/experienced members to be an active part of that self regulation (with rights come responsibilities) and that simply means acting in a civil manner towards others even if you disagree with them, AND trying t keep things slightly on topic even though deviations are good.
(I mean it not that hard to open a new thread about a specific topic if that is what people want is it?)

Off topic is not an issue for me.

The ignore button is great - but like any tool if its not used its useless and if someone is a complete twat ignore them.
The Following User Says Thank You to SIUYA For This Useful Post:
wrbtrader (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #18

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUYA »
so i vote for no moderation and let the punters decide.
On that note - this requires more seasoned/experienced members to be an active part of that self regulation (with rights come responsibilities) and that simply means acting in a civil manner towards others even if you disagree with them, AND trying t keep things slightly on topic even though deviations are good.
<snip>
The ignore button is great - but like any tool if its not used its useless and if someone is a complete twat ignore them.
At first I disagreed with this. TL is now one of the few sites I bother to read. I've been lurking here for a couple of years; expecting it to degenerate. Hasn't happened. So, even though there have been rough moments, overall the conscious effort to keep things civil has worked well to attract the "more seasoned/experienced" (and I might add "mature") participants. Without the moderation, I doubt TL would have achieved this level of quality.

Personally, I don't think the moderation needs to change. But in the spirit of continuous improvement, I gave it some thought. Your last sentence finally drove it home for me. I keep reading where people say use the ignore button. It occurs to me I've never done that. The reasons are mostly irrelevant, except for one: I don't believe it helps adds value to the community for me simply to stick my head in the sand.

If I (and others) ignore the same user, does it have any real affect on the community? Does that person know that X number of other users are ignoring them, leading to self regulation for those who might actually care? Is there a way for moderators to use the ignore count as evidence that the user is a rotten apple most of the time? If the moderator has this information, then MMS rule #2 is easier to swallow. For example, if I make someone angry with my next post (#3 whoopeee), then I would like to assume MMS would consider that I've had 2 whole posts without anyone hitting the ignore button. On the other hand, if I already had 50 ppl ignoring me, it would be easier for MMS to decide the first complaint about my post #3 is enough to quickly delete it.

The ignore button could then be more of a community moderation aid in addition to a great personal censoring tool.

If all of this is already possible, well... oops. I've wasted your time. Sorry.

Rob
Old 06-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #19

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbPhoenix »
I thought James put it well:

Hi,

Recent personal attacks on the forums have forced me to create this thread. Traders Laboratory has grown over the course of the past 2.5 years by maintaining one thing: respect for one another.

While many boards continue to allow trash talk and attacks, I can not allow this to happen on TL. There is a reason why TL contains only:

Threads: 3,935, Posts: 55,821

Most forum owners will only care about pageviews and post counts. At TL we prefer quality over quantity.

For any concerns regarding a member or post, we urge you to pm anyone of the mods or myself. If there is a concern with a particular mod or myself, please feel free to pm me directly as well. I am very open to suggestions and recommendations from TL members. Afterall, it is the members that create TL.

Any continued post that aims to attack another member will be deleted upon notice. If there is an issue please pm me or the mods and we will try to resolve the matter quietly without an open public debate.

Please help us keep TL a quality forum.

Thank you.

Soultrader
Thanks for starting this thread, Soultrader. I don't hide behind a pseudo-name so most can easily tell that I am also a vendor. You may or may not be aware of the level of personal attacks that I have received here at TL. If you research the history of the posts, I think you can sopt where and when it started. I just never figured out "Why?"

When these attacks started and they quickly became relentless. Go read them.

SoulTrader, these were not simply comments put forth from healthy skepticism. These were personal. They consisted of lies, distortions, innuendos, statements as facts things that were totally and knowingly incorrect in an apparent effort to slander and there were even threats to harm or destroy my business. The harder I tried to defend myself by stating the facts, the worse it got.

In a healthy environment, skeptical members would say, "Hey, the guy has offered to help me increase my bottom line as a trader. I have serious doubts, but he knows this group will crucify him verbally if he fails to do what he says...but he's still willing to try. It's free, why not..." In my experience, that's how normal people react. No vitreol, no hate speech...just, "Hey, show me."

The relentless hateful attacks increased and there were times I became angry...frustration can do that. I have apologized to the members if I offended anyone because that was not my intent. My desire to help others trumped my better judgment to leave.

All I wanted here was to be given a chance to earn the trust, respect and friendship of the fellow members. But the constant flow of verbal venom made it impossible.

I finally did the only thing left to do...permanently leave. My experience here at TL has been a shocking disappointment, to say the least. But perhaps calling attention to the fact that there's a problem here might do some good. No member coming here in good will and faith, should be subjected to threats and verbal abuse based solely on their profession. Otherwise, where does it stop?

Since TL does not apparently actually censure this type of rhetoric, you have lost a good member. I have no animosity towards TL or any of it's members. Traders Laboratory is fundamentally a good forum with potential to become even greater. I enjoy reading the articles, for sure.

But, it's still generating some nasty press and the threatening emails are increasing. I can no longer promote TL as I have been doing in my daily commentary and webinar presentations when all my referrals see is the vitreol towards me when they come here. I think it gives them the wrong impression of the normal type of TL member.

In any case, I would appreciate it if you could "un-member" me from this group since I haven't found the option to do that. Joining TL was a mistake on my part but you don't know unless you try. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give it a shot.

Thanks,

Roger Felton

Last edited by Roger Felton; 06-10-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #20

Ignore this user

A healthy debate should not need any moderation IMO,sure sometimes things can heat up,but isnt that life?
Of course anything illegal must be moderated/deleted etc
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #21

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER »
A healthy debate should not need any moderation IMO,sure sometimes things can heat up,but isnt that life?
Of course anything illegal must be moderated/deleted etc
When the participants resort to personal threats, healthy debate no longer exists.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #22

Ignore this user

The moderation is okay for the most part. Sometimes I have posts deleted for no apparent reason or explanation. I chalk it up to the site owner deeming them "personal attacks" even though I didn't mean them as such.

From memory I can restate the last two posts of mine that were deleted. Maybe it's because I'm from a different part of the world than the site owner that I don't see those posts worthy of deletion. Others can judge for themselves.

Last edited by MadMarketScientist; 06-10-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: no personal attacks
Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #23

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosu »
The moderation is okay for the most part. Sometimes I have posts deleted for no apparent reason or explanation. I chalk it up to the site owner deeming them "personal attacks" even though I didn't mean them as such.

From memory I can restate the last two posts of mine that were deleted. Maybe it's because I'm from a different part of the world than the site owner that I don't see those posts worthy of deletion. Others can judge for themselves.
There is a big difference between an opinion and an outright lie, Gosu. When you and other members of TL understand the difference, this forum will improve dramatically.

I'm glad that you posted this, however. Perhaps it will give SoulTrader a chance to see what I've had to deal with for these past several weeks. There's a serious problem here at TL and my solution is to just leave. Unfortunately, SoulTrader doesn't have that option.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #24

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosu »

Why not just delete the entire post?

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: