Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?

• Agriculture
    • Energy
    • Equities
    • Equity Index
    • FX
    • Interest Rate
    • Metals
    • Other

Hello!

I'm also from the Netherlands great...

I trade futures only in the morning session.

I like to have contact with Dutch people and talking about experience etc.

Bye!

Hi all,

I discover trading 1.5 years ago and the only thing I could say is that education costs... I'm a professional software engineer working on fast software for market maker, I also plan on doing financial software for casual traders like me. I worked in the video game industry too on several block buster.

Looking forward to read more on this forum, I especially like the beginner section. Thumb up for the host.

hi sneri777,

any luck with your live trader global account?

I'm Looking for some way that I can do my normal day job and still trade at the same time and found live trader global but 6k to sign up is a bit steep for me. So I have been trying to find someone who may actually have used their system and succeeded.

I used Australian Stock Report before but their setups were not the best. There were successful trades for sure but there were very few confirmed trades to take - it was more a commentary on the support and resistance and they'll wait for the break...this was difficult.

Hi gays i never used Global trader.To learn trading takes a lot of time and cost a lot of money.I have been doing that for 9 years and belive me still learning every day.

Guest wasimj45

Hi jchatel!!

Welcome to this forum. I am Wasim. Its very great forum. Enjoy this forum.

Hi. Nice forum. I've learned a lot already. I was an FX trader at a bank and was consistently successful. I just used 1-minute charts of the currencies I followed, just to have an idea where things had been. Mostly I tried to play correlations. If AUD and CAD were decently correlated as commodity currencies, I'd look at one for clues to the other. If the AUD popped but the CAD didn't, I might buy the CAD and fade the AUD. At times oil was a driver, especially for the CAD, and since August 2007 equities have been a big driver of both at times. I would also always watch the EUR for a feeling on general USD sentiment.

It was all so quick that I never did the things you're supposed to, like know where your stop and profit levels are. See a move in the correlated market, and bang, buy or sell. Then manage the trade. For a long time, and recently again for new reasons, I wanted to be a different kind of trader, one who "cuts his losses and rides his winners." Finally a few years ago I decided it was OK to be the trader I was; it was OK to take small profits. It was an awakening. I traded a lot more, 200 to 300 trades a day (100 -150 positions), and I let fear close my positions for me. If it didn't go my way, I was out. If it went my way a little, and the correlated market paused, I was out. If the correlated market was surging, I would sit for some of the move, but once interest appeared on the other side, I was out. It was not what I would consider good, elegant trading, but my P/L soared.

Thanks to the forces of consolidation, I'm no longer a bank trader, and I've done some work on my own. There are some significant differences that have hampered my attempts at trading on my own.

First, I can't see the bids and offers (size, seeing whether bids were being hit or offers lifted) as I used to on the interbank dealing system. I was very much a "feel" trader, and apparently a lot of that feel came from those market details.

Second, my access to information isn't as good as it used to be; I've gotten caught a few times on tapebombs that I didn't find out about until later. (I don't trade tapebombs because I think the market just as often does the counterintuitive thing anyway, but I will use them to stay out for a bit until I figure out what it means.)

Third, and most important, because of high volume contracts, commissions were not an issue in my job, and as a high frequency trader at home, they are a killer.

Fourth, I'm not as nimble at getting prices in as I used to be with a dealing keypad. When you're trading correlations, being first is pretty big; if you miss it, it's away already, and to get in then is to get in when I used to be taking profit.

I guess fifth should be that I'm trading my own money, but it always felt that way to me anyway.

The obvious solution to the third and fourth items, commissions and speed, is to use a different approach that calls for much less trading and, back to basics here, riding winners and cutting losses. I don't know that I can do that without a well-defined system that requires me to not take profit until my level is hit. If I just wing it, which I really was quite good at, I end up with a lot of small profits, fewer small losses, and a net profit on the day that approximately equals my commissions.

I'm going to do a ton of reading here to see if I can get an edge. Oddly enough, I'm a newbie from the perspective of trying to do this on my own, but I know what every type of bad position feels like, and I've watched a market, trade-by-trade, for ten years. My focus near the end was pretty good.

There's my long-winded and somewhat cathartic introduction.

p.s. I've also had trouble cutting losses on my own. In the past, down days were infrequent, and big down days were rare. Now, if I miss a good cut, like it starts to go against me and I'm not nimble enough to get out, I feel the need to get out with some elegance, and then it turns to hope. For some reason, if I can keep it to 5 ticks or so, I have no problem taking that loss. But if it quickly moves to 10+, I don't want to take that so I feel the need to "manage" the exit. Sometimes I manage it into ugliness.

Thanks for reading.

Hey everybody. I've been lurking here for some time and and just about to open a $250 micro FX account. I've been paper trading for the past few months but I want to find out where I stand in terms of discipline and money management. I'm very interested price action trading, specifically Wyckoff and the methods based on his logic. I look forward to learning a lot and hopefully being able to contribute something if I ever become profitable.

Good Luck LuDuan !

As Brownsfan is saying build the proper expectation first....ie a lot of hard work ahead, a lot of failure ahead and dont identify with your trades....oh and try and keep the phantasies out as well...

Read this site from back to front....it will help a lot...

All the Best

John

Hello, I am new to this forum and wanted to say a quick hi and thank-you in advance for any help or advice given.

I am not so much new but yea always remain learner to Forex Trading and Yea I am after to any helpful hints and tips.

Also if anyone has any advice for good books, please let me know.

TYI

Be ready to get disappointed though.

Looking to Get Rich is a sure way to get you the wrong way in forex. Treat this purely as a business, not an online Vegas. Nobody get rich in doing business by looking for riches in the first place.

But, good luck anyway.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and I've been demoing for a while as well, trying to learn the futures game. I work full time so I get up early and demo trade for 1 hour and each evening i spend time trading and studying. Actually done this for a couple of years now.

I use a 1 minute chart and the LBR macd 3-10-16 method.

I use a 2 minute chart with standard Macd of 12,26,9

I use a 15 minute chart done like Robert Hoffman.

Each of these charts has helped me...somewhat, still learning.

I am focused on the S&P e-mini. I've tried OEC, Thinkorswim, and currently Ninja Trader. I find that i am equally inept at all of them, or equally adept, depending on the glass half full/empty vision, lol.

I am in the process of finding a broker and like so many before i'm sure, so very unsure of where the best place to start is.

OEC has a tremendous offer that is about to expire, a good product but, I experienced some weirdness with the data feed and regrettably I read too many comments on ET (Apologize if that is verbotten here).

Thinkorswim has made some very nice improvements in the last couple of years, plus they are getting into the iPhone (still needs work though). but their commisions are high $7/RT and their margins and account minimums are a bit high.

Seems like there are tons of Ninja brokers out there. I've looked at Amp, velocity, mirus amoung others. I'm a little less clear about how that works. It seems like you have to pay ninja $60/month to trade? So the brokers provide the data feed for free?

One final question if I might, I am really foggy on the margin business. What i don't understand is when someone says thay have a day trade margin rate of say $500/contract but you cannot hold overnight. Does that mean that as long as you don't hold going into the 3:15 - 3:30 PM time frame that you can use the day trade rate all day & night? So if I traded in the evening or late at night would the $500 rate apply? Amp trading seemed to be telling me that was the case but before I commit to anything i would appreciate any insite to this.

Anyways, great site and appreciate the opportunity to join and converse with other likeminded folks.

Regards and thank-you,

T_182

OEC has a great platform. It runs fine outside of an blip after upgrades. Other than that, you are not going to beat what they are offering, esp. w/ that October special. There are OEC haters at ET but that placed is filled with haters everywhere.

Some firms ONLY count RTH hours as day trade margins and some firms will give you day trade margins as long as you don't hold over that break.

Hi all,

David Mark here aka DangerMouse. I'm an ex-UBS quantitative trader striking out on my own. I like to combine the experience of real traders with the analytical approach of quants. I'm open to any form of TA as long as I can test it statistically.

I've been doing Van Tharp's supertrader course but I'm on sabbatical at the moment.

I'm married with three children (2 boys and one 7month girl).

I typically write a lot of code myself being largely disappointed with the quality of charting packages and the like.

Currently doing research for my own trading strategy and getting into timeseries analysis. Also working on my business plan and trading philosophy.

So that's me. I'm open to technically oriented conversation surrounding all areas.

-- DM

Hey everybody, I'm PT and I'm here to learn and serve as much as possible. I'm in my senior year of college and have been paper trading for about a year now, I went live last month with a micro account in FX. I'd like to make enough so I can move to day trading stocks but I don't expect to do that anytime soon. As with many people I started with the notion of the holy grail engraved in my mind, even if I didn't have a name for it. I did the indicator search for a few months and I think I've realized that although they may work, they aren't necessary. I trade using Wyckoff price action now. I'm at breakeven in both my live and paper accounts and I hope the material I find in this forum is going to push me over the edge into profitability. If that happens, I'd love to be able to give back to the community. I look forward to learning from you guys.

Welcome aboard PT

There is a lot of Wyckoff material and posts on here. This is a great website so enjoy it. You may want to have a closer look at DB's material etc and Thalestrader's application of Wyckoff if you are right into that.

You sound like you have a pretty level head to have made your way through all the indicator phase and not risking much $$ while honing your edge....

Good luck

All the Best

John

Another Aussie... Hi all,, hope everyone's doin great..

Im kinda looking for someone to trade with and help me out a little if any ones kinda enough to help...

Cheers

Russell