Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

FFTrader

Why Are Fibonacci Ratios of 88.6%, 78.6%, 127.2% Useful?

:confused:

Ok, I am always been a big fan of 61.8% Fibonacci Ratio (so is 50%) - but why are Fibonacci Ratios of 88.6%, 78.6%, 127.2% useful?

I see them in Gartley patterns and the instrument I trade - GC futures. I saw many threads online regarding it is good in Forex ...

However, no one had address the issue of why it works - I see the pattern in GC for 88.6% on the 60 min chart from last Friday up to current, for example, in addition to the 61.8% and 50%.

My objective is to determine why it works and hopefully determine when it will have a higher probably of working.

Ok, I am always been a big fan of 61.8% Fibonacci Ratio (so is 50%) - but why are Fibonacci Ratios of 88.6%, 78.6%, 127.2% useful?

I see them in Gartley patterns and the instrument I trade - GC futures. I saw many threads online regarding it is good in Forex ...

However, no one had address the issue of why it works - I see the pattern in GC for 88.6% on the 60 min chart from last Friday up to current, for example, in addition to the 61.8% and 50%.

My objective is to determine why it works and hopefully determine when it will have a higher probably of working.

well, I don't know about Gartley or stuff like that, I trade mostly with Elliott....and under Elliott the Fibo ratios are essential, even the ones no one really looking at.....

I am talking about 81% (which makes the distinction between a common flat and a weak b wave flat), 123.6% (which establishes the irregular) or even the 138.2%, which means the c wave to come in a flat will not retrace the previous b wave as that one was quite strong...and the list can go on as Elliott is mostly about Fib ratios...:)

TW

some would argue any line, any ratio will work and have you seeing valid points, and hence its all useless. There is a thread here somewhere talking about that.....

Personally I use the non-fib number of 50%.

Why?

Because it seems to work pretty well for the types of retracements I look for, its simple, easy to judge, easy to measure, makes intuitive sense, and seems to work pretty well in most circumstances.

some would argue any line, any ratio will work and have you seeing valid points, and hence its all useless. There is a thread here somewhere talking about that.....

Personally I use the non-fib number of 50%.

Why?

Because it seems to work pretty well for the types of retracements I look for, its simple, easy to judge, easy to measure, makes intuitive sense, and seems to work pretty well in most circumstances.

50% makes perfect sense.

I am happy with 50% and 61.8% too - the problem arises when you see other ratios works - or become trade-able, etc.

The thing with trading - and I am sure many traders here will agree - is that if there are enough participants at a level, a market will go with the majority. I am sure if you look on the charts of relatively thinly traded futures like GC - as oppose to larger volume ES - you may find these odd percentage retraces, for example.

Whether these retraces will produce a significant turn that takes out the original points of the retrace on the other side OR simply produce a trade-able / scalp-able level/zone is probably two different stories.

:2c: :2c: :2c: :2c: :2c: :2c:

If you Google Gartley, you will see many references to 88.6%, for example. I keep wondering why and have not found a reason. Anyway, I guess there are no real reasons - like the golden ratio - that makes these other levels work somewhat. :roll eyes::roll eyes::roll eyes: