Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

New Interesting Trading Books?

All of you post some interesting trading books, but some of them are not new trading books as mentioned in the title thread, :o, just joking.

Another new trading book I'll mention is Bryce Gilmore's Price Action Manual - One Day at a Time 2007, another very practical S&P trading handbook. Bryce even offers his ES Price Action Chronicles Vol 1 for A$1 only.

a very new trading book by suri duddella, "Trade Chart Patterns like the Pros", a very practical trading handbook if you like pattern trading, imho

Jesse:

I am already familiar with 95% of the patterns listed in the table of content. Do you think I will still benefit from reading the book ?

Thanks

The Professional Commodity Trader by Stan Kroll.....

nice...I always get books for christmas, have to add this one to the list. I'm a sucker for any old book under 10 bucks.

Tops for my list are Steenbarger's last book, The Nature of Risk by Justin Mamis and Markets in Profile.

Barnes and Noble has the Way of the Turtle in the stores, if anyone is thinking of getting that I would read it there first. Really seemed pretty useless.

All of you post some interesting trading books, but some of them are not new trading books as mentioned in the title thread, :o, just joking.

Another new trading book I'll mention is Bryce Gilmore's Price Action Manual - One Day at a Time 2007, another very practical S&P trading handbook. Bryce even offers his ES Price Action Chronicles Vol 1 for A$1 only.

lol oh yeah I must've missed that part...it was pretty late. LOL:embarassed:

I have communicated with suri duddella personally from time to time over the years, he is a knowledgeable trader and programmer. He self-published the book and is not strictly an "author" as many are on the subject. It's amazing how many authors/promoters in this business do not even trade anymore. Maybe its not so amazing. There are even more traders who drop big $ on this stuff.

Holy crap....250 bucks?!

Holy crap....250 bucks?!

Consider that cheap. $250.00 is the electronic version, the hardcopy preceding this one by the same author used to sell for $850.00:o

I see most folks here are into technical manual type books, but for a new stock trader "Reminiscences of a stock operator" and Cramers first book "Confessions of a street addict" are more fun than educational but worth the time.

Jesse:

I am already familiar with 95% of the patterns listed in the table of content. Do you think I will still benefit from reading the book ?

Thanks

I would recommend the books by Thomas Bulkowski, he includes a lot of statistcial analysis as to what works and what doesn't, % successes etc. He also has a web site http://thepatternsite.com/

One caveat - he and others have suggested recently that classic patterns are failing more often than in the past, probably due to the numbers of people trying to trade them.

It also seems to be the cases that rather than totally failing many patterns are apparently failing but can be jumped into a little later (eg the apparent break up, which then breaks down, goes sideways and then suddenly resumes the direction originally expected.

Check out the following link:

Amazon.com: Reading Price Charts Bar by Bar: The Technical Analysis of Price Action for the Serious Trader (Wiley Trading) (9780470443958): Al Brooks: Books

There is also a thread on price action with Al Brooks here on Traders Lab, couple that with all the free info. on Wyckoff in the wyckoff forum here, ie. reading price along with volume

havent found a book

reading chart bar by bar,

any help appreciated

thanks

Forgive my cynicism, but most everything that is written and is for sale is being sold because it is yesterdays news. Nothing that truly would make you profitable is for sale. Could you imagine someone selling what really works.

As crazy as it may seem you'd have a much better chance of success by sticking to this site than by reading trading books. At least then you might run into some generous and sympathetic traders who want to pass on their knowledge / help.

Forgive my cynicism, but most everything that is written and is for sale is being sold because it is yesterdays news. Nothing that truly would make you profitable is for sale. Could you imagine someone selling what really works.

As crazy as it may seem you'd have a much better chance of success by sticking to this site than by reading trading books. At least then you might run into some generous and sympathetic traders who want to pass on their knowledge / help.

I guess the thing to do then is to read books that deal with 'principles' or 'fundamental truths' about markets. There are some books that do contain a bit of 'wisdom' too.

I guess the thing to do then is to read books that deal with 'principles' or 'fundamental truths' about markets. There are some books that do contain a bit of 'wisdom' too.

That's a good way to put it BlowFish. What are your top 3 or 4 books that have taught you those market principles? Thanks in advance.

That's a good way to put it BlowFish. What are your top 3 or 4 books that have taught you those market principles? Thanks in advance.

All time favourite is Reminiscences (of a stock operator). After that it get's a bit more tricky. I started re-reading Market Wizard over Xmas, and am enjoying that for odd bit's of 'wisdom'. I always like stuff on price action Dunnigan is a favourite though Gann wrote good stuff on PA too. Studies in Tape reading ....I could start going on and on here so should stop. Looking at the title of the thread I see it is 'interesting' rather than 'useful' I go through phases of reading quite a lot that is 'interesting' but perhaps of limited (if any) use :D

I am inclined to agree with you, there is much that is good here on TL. Thales Real time thread, DBPhoenix's burrow spring to mind. Jperls market stats threads which opened my eyes to a whole other set of statistical principles.

All time favourite is Reminiscences (of a stock operator). After that it get's a bit more tricky. I started re-reading Market Wizard over Xmas, and am enjoying that for odd bit's of 'wisdom'. I always like stuff on price action Dunnigan is a favourite though Gann wrote good stuff on PA too. Studies in Tape reading ....I could start going on and on here so should stop. Looking at the title of the thread I see it is 'interesting' rather than 'useful' I go through phases of reading quite a lot that is 'interesting' but perhaps of limited (if any) use :D

I am inclined to agree with you, there is much that is good here on TL. Thales Real time thread, DBPhoenix's burrow spring to mind. Jperls market stats threads which opened my eyes to a whole other set of statistical principles.

I too have read Schwager's books on fundamental and technical analysis, he is thorough. In fact his work introduced me to Thomas Demarks books and together with Jason Perls book on Demark Indicators I bought all 4, some really good stuff.

Have read Dunnigans "New Blueprints for Gains in Stocks and Grains & One Way Formula for Trading in Stocks & Commodities" it just didn't sink in with me, but maybe it's just me. Once I learned to look at the market in new ways some of those older books don't seem to strike a chord anymore, but who knows, down the road it may hit the spot.