Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

End of bar....do you mean that could be a valid approach? Does anybody actually trade like this (successfully)? My feeling was it would put the stop too far away? Have seen one or two mentions by Spyder regarding EOB trading but nothing clear...But I really am eager to hear your comments on this...

In a related matter,I am looking for a good way to enter Pt 3's....they seen easy to spot....considering only the 5 min ES and the 2 Min YM, what I came up with is, after the ES x2x , the ES retrace pt 2-3. Then enter End of YM Bar when you get one of the SFC's (see above post) on the 2 min YM. I also filter them into the ones that retrace a certain percentage of the pt 1-2 move, but that is just a personal technique designed to stop me from entering too soon.

I saw other suggestions (from Vorzo in the IR thread "For 123 pt3s, I like to see one bar in the direction of the 123 channel to consider it a pt3, and will enter on next bar if it breaks the end of the pt3 bar (BBO) on rising volume (over prior bar) and fast or extreme PRV.") but this seems very late for many pt 3's?

Thanks!

Vienna

Yes. I believe "end of bar" to be a low stress valid approach.

If I trust the rest of spydertrader's teachings and recommendations, I see no reason not to believe him on the "end of bar" too. He seems to have went through all the tools, and eventually to settle for a lower stress approach of just a few trades / reversals per day.

With this method price stops are not meant to be hit, excepting in rare emergency situations.

To be clear: trading "end of bar" means that you'll not usually trade at the optimum moment, not even on the optimum bar, but you don't really need to do so. You just need a way of making money in a consistent manner. It is like in The Rolling Stones' song: "You can't always get what you want / But if you try sometime you just might find / You get what you need".

"Because we have chosen to use the ES five minute as our trading 'view' of the market, we may experience a 'change signal' just before, just at or just after the period of time we refer to as 'the now.' As a trader, each must decide how to define 'sufficient data set' with respect to their particular trading resolution, and more importantly, knowledge and experience. As long as each trader defines their specific rule set, and then, maintains the discipline required to follow the rule set, then the trader has already fought half the battle. Ultimately, the market decides, whether or not, a specific rule set with respect to 'sufficiency' measures as appropriate and timely. Every other opinion matters little and effects the bottom line not at all.

- Spydertrader"

Fractal Jumping

I sometimes jump to a finer fractal unintentionally. Would like to hear from others and how they corrected it.

This tends to occur more often around fanning out of pt3. Looking back it is easy to see it but in real time this is not the case.

Thanks

Spydertrader once told me that "if you can't see the cycle on the 15m you're trading at too fine a level." It may not always help during real time but sometimes zooming out helps regain perspective when things get slow or sideways (fanning) and you find yourself zooming in (to the 2min YM or 1min ES). At least in my case, when things got confusing I'd get stuck looking closer and closer instead of the bigger picture.

Regards,

EZ

Sounds good... can see how that would work for traverse level FTT's.

But what about traverse level Pt 3's? It seems that there, EOB would get you in too late...?

Thanks!

Vienna

Yes. I believe "end of bar" to be a low stress valid approach.....You just need a way of making money in a consistent manner.]

Sounds good... can see how that would work for traverse level FTT's.

But what about traverse level Pt 3's? It seems that there, EOB would get you in too late...?

Thanks!

Vienna

Pt3 trading is pushing the traverse trading one level finer, and choosing to trade only the second anticipated dominant traverse.

On each chart resolution, the traverse level is the one that is the best defined by the volume sequences, and it is the optimum for the "end of bar" approach.

This is an interesting discussion. Where one trades within the 5 minute timeframe is more of a confidence issue regarding your specific edge. IN MY OPINION the PRV is one of the most important tools in this mythology. If you trade at the end of the timeframe one would not need such a tool. You would wait for the bar to close and make your decision.

Personally I trade intra bar timeframe based on the PRV and wash trades if need be. I place a stop where the edge would be negated. Once your edge has been validated, one should take the trade.

At the end of the day, trading is execution not analysis.

Quote from CNMS2: "To be clear: trading "end of bar" means that you'll not usually trade at the optimum moment, not even on the optimum bar, but you don't really need to do so. You just need a way of making money in a consistent manner."

-When you say 'trading End of bar" do you mean that ALL decisions are made end of bar? Or just the Entry decision?

What about if you are long off an FTT, now price goes down (bar turns red) with increasing PRV. Are you still holding until End of bar? What about washes?

Thanks!

Vienna

This is an interesting discussion. Where one trades within the 5 minute timeframe is more of a confidence issue regarding your specific edge. IN MY OPINION the PRV is one of the most important tools in this mythology. If you trade at the end of the timeframe one would not need such a tool. You would wait for the bar to close and make your decision.

Personally I trade intra bar timeframe based on the PRV and wash trades if need be. I place a stop where the edge would be negated. Once your edge has been validated, one should take the trade.

At the end of the day, trading is execution not analysis.

Did you call this a "mythology" instead of a "methodology" on purpose?:)

Did you call this a "mythology" instead of a "methodology" on purpose?:)

That is pretty funny. Hopefully it was not a Freudian slip, rather fat fingers, since I use it.

Well spotted.:)

Quote from CNMS2: "To be clear: trading "end of bar" means that you'll not usually trade at the optimum moment, not even on the optimum bar, but you don't really need to do so. You just need a way of making money in a consistent manner."

-When you say 'trading End of bar" do you mean that ALL decisions are made end of bar? Or just the Entry decision?

What about if you are long off an FTT, now price goes down (bar turns red) with increasing PRV. Are you still holding until End of bar? What about washes?

Thanks!

Vienna

I meant taking routine trades close to the end of the bar, or when there is only a slim chance that your analysis of that bar can still be materially affected. Obviously you have to use the emergency breaks if something out of ordinary happens: a news spike, etc.. I don't think that washes can be reconciled with end of bar trading.

I have attached a perfect example where I would jump fractals. Live market now in SPI.

Either B2B or fanning out of 3. The confusion is due to the red volume bars prior to the black are much higher, increasing red vs decreasing black.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

jump.thumb.png.72484bc40483b4954d47c7a0f85c97a3.png

Edited by xioxxio

I have attached a perfect example where I would jump fractals. Live market now in SPI.

Either B2B or fanning out of 3. The confusion is due to the red volume bars prior to the black are much higher, increasing red vs decreasing black.

Thanks

You broke the red RTL on Inc black volume (intrabar)...good enough does not say it has to CLOSE above the RTL on black volume.... Then you get a black bar that clears the RTL (Mak term). That means that red container is done, finished for the time being. So you have B2B and can anticipate a retrace toe pt 3 (which might well happen inside the previous red traverse) and then you need IBV to confirm the pt 3. Note that this whole new up traverse is probably nondom - THAT is what the lower black vol bars tell you.

hth, just my opinion

vienna :)

I have attached a chart which shows Spyders toolset for TN and the other chart shows regular volume based on up/down colour coding based off the close. See the huge discrepancy. One is decreasing black the other is deceasing red.

Would like to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks

Volume.thumb.png.3625449f11e40c41f9afd0de4d42b0b8.png

This time Spyders tool set won the battle. It is not always the case

I would still like to hear thoughts, I think Ninja Trader users also have Spyders toolset.

Thanks

war.thumb.png.5a6aecc711651fdba6a09609a2efb698.png

I have attached a chart which shows Spyders toolset for TN and the other chart shows regular volume based on up/down colour coding based off the close. See the huge discrepancy. One is decreasing black the other is deceasing red.

Would like to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks

based on this TN vol coloring is more advance than NT vol coloring.

based on this TN vol coloring is more advance than NT vol coloring.

I just had a quick check. You are right, there looks like a very small difference.

Ninja.thumb.png.d455f534656f39123d5d82c7a47aa7c3.png

Thanks

Let's say that a red sequence starts like you've annotated it on your chart. Bar two starts a lateral, and without any lateral FBO's, everything inside the lateral is part of a faster fractal, which should be ignored. This means that the gaussian R2R should be extended to the IBGS bar around 10:45. Therefore, the black bars that comes afterwards can only be onle thing - a non-dominant building block (2B). You need an additional red building block (with increasing volume - 2R) to complete the sequence.

My advise:

1: Research the role of laterals and the meaning for your trading fractal

2: Look at how Spyder annotate gaussians. It's different from your method. Perhaps you can improve in this regard...

This means that the gaussian R2R should be extended to the IBGS bar around 10:45. Therefore, the black bars that comes afterwards can only be onle thing - a non-dominant building block (2B). You need an additional red building block (with increasing volume - 2R) to complete the sequence.

I see it now, thanks. Would that not be the case with carry over? In Australia the stocks open from 10:00am to 10:08am so I usually ignore the first two bars of the day. I then start looking for the for the pt1 to pt2 to p3.

Cary over does not always work.

Edited by xioxxio

Cary over does not always work.

I've been trading the ES for 5 years now. Carry-over works every day. I don't trade Australia stocks so I can't comment on those though.

This thread has been a mammoth read, but a really interesting one!

Can anyone explain PRV and its useage in a bit greater detail? How big a factor is PRV in each setup?

Also, in Mak's spreadsheet, why is the PRV tendency measured and logged over ten 30 second intervals? - how is this information used? I couldn't see anything about this in Spydertraders Hershey PDF

thanks in advance

This thread has been a mammoth read, but a really interesting one!

Can anyone explain PRV and its useage in a bit greater detail? How big a factor is PRV in each setup?

Also, in Mak's spreadsheet, why is the PRV tendency measured and logged over ten 30 second intervals? - how is this information used? I couldn't see anything about this in Spydertraders Hershey PDF

thanks in advance

A good place to start.

Forums - Spydertrader's Jack Hershey Futures Trading Journal

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Topics

• Date: 16th April 2024. Market News – Stocks and currencies sell off; USD up. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks and currencies sell off, while the US Dollar picks up haven flows. Treasuries yields spiked again to fresh 2024 peaks before paring losses into the close, post, the stronger than expected retail sales eliciting a broad sell off in the markets. Rates surged as the data pushed rate cut bets further into the future with July now less than a 50-50 chance. Wall Street finished with steep declines led by tech. Stocks opened in the green on a relief trade after Israel repulsed the well advertised attack from Iran on Sunday. But equities turned sharply lower and extended last week’s declines amid the rise in yields. Investor concerns were intensified as Israel threatened retaliation. There’s growing anxiety over earnings even after a big beat from Goldman Sachs. UK labor market data was mixed, as the ILO unemployment rate unexpectedly lifted, while wage growth came in higher than anticipated – The data suggests that the labor market is catching up with the recession. Mixed messages then for the BoE. China grew by 5.3% in Q1 however the numbers are causing a lot of doubts over sustainability of this growth. The bounce came in the first 2 months of the year. In March, growth in retail sales slumped and industrial output decelerated below forecasts, suggesting challenges on the horizon. Today: Germany ZEW, US housing starts & industrial production, Fed Vice Chair Philip Jefferson speech, BOE Bailey speech & IMF outlook. Earnings releases: Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. Financial Markets Performance:   The US Dollar rallied to 106.19 after testing 106.25, gaining against JPY and rising to 154.23, despite intervention risk. Yen traders started to see the 160 mark as the next Resistance level. Gold surged 1.76% to $2386 per ounce amid geopolitical risks and Chinese buying, even as the USD firmed and yields climbed. USOIL is flat at $85 per barrel. Market Trends:   Breaks of key technical levels exacerbated the sell off. Tech was the big loser with the NASDAQ plunging -1.79% to 15,885 while the S&P500 dropped -1.20% to 5061, with the Dow sliding -0.65% to 37,735. The S&P had the biggest 2-day sell off since March 2023. Nikkei and ASX lost -1.9% and -1.8% respectively, and the Hang Seng is down -2.1%. European bourses are down more than -1% and US futures are also in the red. CTA selling tsunami: “Just a few points lower CTAs will for the first time this year start selling in size, to add insult to injury, we are breaking major trend-lines in equities and the gamma stabilizer is totally gone.” Short term CTA threshold levels are kicking in big time according to GS. Medium term is 4873 (most important) while the long term level is at 4605. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 15th April 2024. Market News – Negative Reversion; Safe Havens Rally. Trading Leveraged Products is risky Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Markets weigh risk of retaliation cycle in Middle East. Initially the retaliatory strike from Iran on Israel fostered a haven bid, into bonds, gold and other haven assets, as it threatens a wider regional conflict. However, this morning, Oil and Asian equity markets were muted as traders shrugged off fears of a war escalation in the Middle East. Iran said “the matter can be deemed concluded”, and President Joe Biden has called on Israel to exercise restraint following Iran’s drone and missile strike, as part of Washington’s efforts to ease tensions in the Middle East and minimize the likelihood of a widespread regional conflict. New US and UK sanctions banned deliveries of Russian supplies, i.e. key industrial metals, produced after midnight on Friday. Aluminum jumped 9.4%, nickel rose 8.8%, suggesting brokers are bracing for major supply chain disruption. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex fell back from highs over 106 to currently 105.70. The Yen dip against USD to 153.85. USOIL settled lower at 84.50 per barrel and Gold is trading below session highs at currently $2357.92 per ounce. Copper, more liquid and driven by the global economy over recent weeks, was more subdued this morning. Currently at $4.3180. Market Trends:   Asian stock markets traded mixed, but European and US futures are slightly higher after a tough session on Friday and yields have picked up. Mainland China bourses outperformed overnight, after Beijing offered renewed regulatory support. The PBOC meanwhile left the 1-year MLF rate unchanged, while once again draining funds from the system. Nikkei slipped 1% to 39,114.19. On Friday, NASDAQ slumped -1.62% to 16,175, unwinding most of Thursday’s 1.68% jump to a new all-time high at 16,442. The S&P500 fell -1.46% and the Dow dropped 1.24%. Declines were broadbased with all 11 sectors of the S&P finishing in the red. JPMorgan Chase sank 6.5% despite reporting stronger profit in Q1. The nation’s largest bank gave a forecast for a key source of income this year that fell below Wall Street’s estimate, calling for only modest growth. Apple shipments drop by 10% in Q1. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • The morning of my last post I happened to glance over to the side and saw “...angst over the FOMC’s rate trajectory triggered a flight to safety, hence boosting the haven demand. “   http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/topic/21621-hfmarkets-hfmcom-market-analysis-services/page/17/?tab=comments#comment-228522   I reacted, but didn’t take time to  respond then... will now --- HFBlogNews, I don’t know if you are simply aggregating the chosen narratives for the day or if it’s your own reporting... either way - “flight to safety”????  haven ?????  Re: “safety  - ”Those ‘solid rocks’ are getting so fragile a hit from a dandelion blowball might shatter them... like now nobody wants to buy longer term new issues at these rates...yet the financial media still follows the scripts... The imagery they pound day in and day out makes it look like the Fed knows what they’re doing to help ‘us’... They do know what they’re doing - but it certainly is not to help ‘us’... and it is not to ‘control’ inflation... And at some point in the not too distant future, the interest due will eat a huge portion of the ‘revenue’ Re: “haven” The defaults are coming ...  The US will not be the first to default... but it will certainly not be the very last to default !! ...Enough casual anti-white racism for the day  ... just sayin’
    • Date: 12th April 2024. Producer Inflation On The Rise, But Will Earnings Hold Demand Steady?     Producer inflation rose slightly less than previous expectations, but the annual figure continues to rise. The annual PPI rose to 2.1% and the Core PPI rose to 2.4%. The NASDAQ and SNP500 end the day higher, but the Dow Jones continues to struggle. This morning earnings kick off with the banking sector including JP Morgan, BlackRock and Wells Fargo. All 3 stocks trade higher during pre-trading hours. The Euro trades lower against all currencies despite the ECB’s attempt to establish a hawkish tone. USA100 – The NASDAQ Climbs Higher, But Is the Growth Sustainable? The NASDAQ was the only index which did not witness a significant decline at the opening of the US session. In addition to this, the USA100 is the only index which is witnessing indications of a bullish market. The price has crossed onto a higher high breaking the resistance level at $18,269. The index is also trading above the 75-Bar EMA and at the 65.00 level on the RSI which signals buyers are controlling the market. However, a similar large bullish impulse wave was also formed on the 3rd and 5th of the month and was followed by a correction. Therefore, investors need to be cautious of a bearish breakout which may signal a correction back to the 75-bar EMA (18,165). The medium-term growth and its sustainability will depend on the upcoming earnings data.   Bond yields declined during this morning’s Asian session by 18 points, which is positive for the stock market. However, even with the decline, bond yields remain significantly higher than Monday’s opening yield. This week the 10-year bond yield rose from 4.424 to 4.558, which is a concern. If bond yields again start to rise, the stock market potentially can again become pressured. 25% of the NASDAQ ended the day lower and 75% higher. This gives a clear indication of the sentiment towards the technology sector and reassures traders about the price movement. Another positive was all of the top 12 influential stocks rose in value. Apple, NVIDIA and Broadcom saw the strongest gains, all rising more than 4%. Producer inflation read slightly lower than expectations, however, the index continues to rise. The Producer Price Index rose from 1.6% to 2.1% and the Core PPI from 2.1% to 2.4%. Therefore, it is not indicating inflation will become easier to tackle in the upcoming months. For this reason, investors should note that inflation and the monetary policy is still a risk and can trigger strong bearish impulse waves. EURUSD – The Euro Declines Against Major Currencies The European Central Bank is attempting to concentrate on the positive factors and give no indications of when the committee may opt to cut rates. For example, President Lagarde advises “sales figures” remain stable, but the issue remains they are stably low. Officials said the decline in prices generally confirms medium-term forecasts and is ensured by a decrease in the cost of food and goods. Most experts continue to believe that the first reduction in interest rates will happen in June, and there may be three or four in total during the year. Due to this, the Euro is declining against all currencies including the Pound, Yen and Swiss Franc. The US Dollar Index on the other hand trades 0.39% higher and is almost trading at a 23-week high. Due to this momentum, the price of the exchange continues to indicate a decline in favor of the US Dollar.   Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • $MSFT Microsoft stock top of range breakout above 433.1, https://stockconsultant.com/?MSFT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.