Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

cowcool

Is 100% Mechanical Trading Possible?

So in other word, it is your own software, not some software that you can use to put some numbers and make strategy. Which is what you stated at the previous post.

it is not my software it is Tradestation ... Of course the strategy is mine ,,

Grey1

it is not my software it is Tradestation ... Of course the strategy is mine ,,

Grey1

OK. I know.

After viewing again, I thought im talking to StockTrader6800, he mentioned cooltrade. And my question is for him regarding 'cooltrade'. :D

I'm not sure I understand you question. If you are asking, "did I write the software", NO I did not create the CoolTrade system.

It is a system that comes with 2 programs. One called the Strategy Wizard where you work on the strategies, and the other called the automated trader that runs all day and executes the strategies.

Keith

you are being a SA.

maybe the question should be... are you associated with CoolTrade?

Smells like spam.

The advantage I find in algo trading is the lack of pressure and stress that goes along with discretionary trading.

Bottom line is - discretionary trading is a hell of a lot of work on an intraday basis. Once you are in a trade it is incredibly easy to make a mistake, especially when the market is moving.

I like the idea of discretionary trading, but it sure is relaxing doing the automated thing.

The question was - would you recommend it or not. Not very complicated isnt it?

And how would that help you? You don't know me and you have no idea what my goals and requirements are and they could be vastly different than yours. Something that are useless and expensive for me, could be good and cheap for you.

When asking for recommendations about something, the mimimum you could do is defining your requirements and what you are looking for from it.

Would you buy a Porsche 911 because someone you don't know from Adam told you that he recommends it, even though you live in the middle of a jungle where roads barely exist and you are looking for something that can handle rough terrains and lots of muddy areas, but you didn't tell him that?

Reddit had an AMA (ask me anything) session with a 100% automated retail trader last week. He stated his credentials as:

"I used to work as a software engineer and started developing and trading automated strategies in my spare time in 2006. I went full time in 2007 and have been profitable every quarter since."

ALthough I know next to nothing about automated trading, I found his answers to questions most interesting. Here's the link, and the meat comes deeper into the questions (once you get past some of the fluff).

IAMA 100% automated independent retail trader. I trade around 800k to 1.5 million shares a day and make 2cents/trade on average. AMAA : IAmA

OK. I spend some time looking into the subject and now can say the following.

a. Sierra sucks less than I though but it sill is not suitable for proper backtesting. Considering limited architecture and lack of experience in this area I think they need couple of years to get into proper level (once they introduce backtesing/optimiser [not replay]).

b. Ninja 7 sucks more than I thought. Still can be considered as it is free for backtesting. But I just figured out that NT7 will not have tick-to-tick simulation. NT7 largely is NT6 but how it should be done in first place. Hence it is 2 years old in features.

c. Neoticker seems the best option ever. Supports C# and has tick-by-tick simulation. What else you need! :)

d. MultiCharts - thanks for Tams pointed me there. Seems very decent option however price is not inspiring. I personally would rather pay one off to Neoticker. TradeStation is another option but I count them the same as both have similar architecture, features and price.

e. Everything else is waste of time (like OpenQuant - could be great but never made to a proper production level - one-man-band really, should be called "Mr Fokin Ambitious Project Which Never Worked", hope someone will buy it out and make a commercial product of it)

Everything you just read is my personal opinion.

Yes I did but 2 weeks ago it looked a bit like a newly built house with no decoration. I'll give it few months to see what will grow up from it.

Edited by maxima

d. MultiCharts - thanks for Tams pointed me there. Seems very decent option however price is not inspiring. I personally would rather pay one off to Neoticker. TradeStation is another option but I count them the same as both have similar architecture, features and price.

notes about the two:

- both use EasyLanguge,

- MultiCharts has extended the syntax...

-- e.g.

sub-minute analysis,

multi-resolution analysis (eg. minute and tick in the same chart),

-- MultiCharts supports multi-core CPU. useful if your analysis is complex.

TradeStation -- integrated broker/datafeed/analysis -- can be an advantage in a 100% autotrade setup.

OK I meant - MC is better than TS and if I were to decide I'd go with MC no questions. I read all your message Tams very carefully :)

I just had to mention TS as it is still a good option and people who has accounts with TS probably are better off using TS than pay extra $100 for MC....

Yes I did but 2 weeks ago it looked a bit like a newly built house with no decoration. I'll give it few months to see what will grow up from it.

BTW, just so you know....Mark Brown (known automated trader) has already been using this set up for some time now.

Hi......

I want to know about Mechanical Trading ( auto trading). pls any one teach me.

you can start with a book...

there are a few on the market that teaches you the

basic mechanics and methods.

what platform you are using?

(don't tell me, let me guess... it is MT4)

you can start with a book...

there are a few on the market that teaches you the

basic mechanics and methods.

what platform you are using?

(don't tell me, let me guess... it is MT4)

Hi Tams,

i am useing MT4 only. pls how i can use auto trading methard. i am useing multi trading accounts so pls guide me...