Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ptcman

Help with My First Strategy

Hello all.

I've just bought Multicharts and I'm eager to start developing my own ideas for indicators and strategies based on those same indicators.

But I've a big problem, I'm not that good in programming :confused:

I'm able to understand most formulas but then, rearrange them or even rewrite them is a complete different world.

I've been trying to write my first strategy, but thinks haven't gone as aspected.

I thought I should begin with a simple buy order, but nothing happens.

Can anyone help understanding what is happening and why?

I'd appreciate all the help.

Thank you

{ *User Input*}
input : 
length		(5);

{ *Variables*}
variables:
dRng		(0),
Mid		(0),
Hi		(0),
Lo		(0),
Cl		(0),
Vl		(0);

Hi = High;
Lo = Low;
Cl = Close;
dRng = Hi - Lo;
Mid = (Hi + Lo) * .5;
Vl = Volume;

{ *Buy order* }
if (Cl > Cl [1]) and (dRng > Average(dRng,length)) then begin
if Vl > Average(Vl,length) then
	Buy ("break") next bar open;

end;

I thought I should begin with a simple buy order, but nothing happens.

Can anyone help understanding what is happening and why?

I'd appreciate all the help.

Thank you...

replace the keyword volume with ticks.

Don't ask me why, in EasyLanguage...

the keyword volume means "total upticks" in English,

the keyword ticks means "total volume" in English.

Edited by Tams

try "...next bar at open;"

At is a Skip Word.

Skip Words serve solely to improve the readability of EasyLanguage code and are skipped (ignored) during the compilation and execution.

The use of Skip Words is optional; they can be inserted anywhere within the EL code and will appear red in Editor.

Hi.

Thank you all for your comments.

OK, the above formula generates 1 buy order, the first time the condition is true.

Now my question is, why only 1 order is created when this condition is true for dozens of time?

I'm applying it in a 10 day historical 5 minutes chart.

I've been trying to add a sell order, to close the long position, but I can't find any reserved word that specified if there's an open position then if the sell condition (low < low of the entry bar) is met then close position.

I thought that writing an indicator was difficult :roll eyes: Creating a strategy is starting to get much more difficult

Thank you

Hi.

Thank you all for your comments.

OK, the above formula generates 1 buy order, the first time the condition is true.

Now my question is, why only 1 order is created when this condition is true for dozens of time?

I'm applying it in a 10 day historical 5 minutes chart.

I've been trying to add a sell order, to close the long position, but I can't find any reserved word that specified if there's an open position then if the sell condition (low < low of the entry bar) is met then close position.

I thought that writing an indicator was difficult :roll eyes: Creating a strategy is starting to get much more difficult

Thank you

the keyword is:

MarketPosition

MarketPosition

Returns a numerical value, indicating the type of the specified position.

A value of 1 indicates a long position,

A value of -1 indicates a short position,

and

A value of 0 is returned only if the current position is specified and indicates that the current position is flat.

Usage

MarketPosition(PosBack)

Where:

PosBack - a numerical expression, specifying the position:

0 - open position;

1 - one position back (the last position closed);

2 - two positions back, etc.

If PosBack is not specified, a value for the open position will be returned.

Note

This function can only be used in signals.

Examples

MarketPosition will return a value of 0 if the current position is flat

MarketPosition (1) will return a value of -1 if the most recently closed position was a short position

source: EasyLanguage manual

Sorry if my question is OT (and my english is terrible!)

I'm testing my first "strategy" on EuroFX future CME. Price has 4 decimals lile 1.4661. I am using TS2000i

On my chart price is dispayed ok but on strategy report prices are rounded to 2 decimals: 1.4870 -> 1.49. Why ?? Where is right setting ?

Thanks !!

Sorry if my question is OT (and my english is terrible!)

I'm testing my first "strategy" on EuroFX future CME. Price has 4 decimals lile 1.4661. I am using TS2000i

On my chart price is dispayed ok but on strategy report prices are rounded to 2 decimals: 1.4870 -> 1.49. Why ?? Where is right setting ?

Thanks !!

can you post the code?

can you post the code?

Of course Tams and thanks for your interest.

This is code:

Inputs: Len(20), Triger(32), StopPrc(0.5), TrailPrc(85);

Variables: CCIVal(0), StopValue(0), StopPrice(0), LOpenPrice(0);

CCIVal = CCI(Len);

If CCIVal crosses above Triger Then begin

Buy ("LE") 1 contract at market;

print (avgEntryPrice,CCIval);

end;

LOpenPrice = AvgEntryPrice;

StopValue = LOpenPrice * (1-(StopPrc/100));

StopPrice = LOpenPrice - StopValue;

if close >= LOpenPrice + stopvalue then StopPrice = close - StopValue;

if close < stopPrice then exitlong market;

stops doesen't work... I'm working on them

These are some lines of debug window:

1090925.00 2010.00 1.47 34.10

1090925.00 2054.00 1.47 65.65

1090925.00 2106.00 1.47 80.79

As you can see price is 1.47 instead 1.46xx value. In Strategy report is the same. I think this may cause problems on running strategy.

Thanks

If CCIVal crosses above Triger Then begin

Buy ("LE") 1 contract at market;

print (avgEntryPrice,CCIval);

end;

1090925.00 2010.00 1.47 34.10

1090925.00 2054.00 1.47 65.65

1090925.00 2106.00 1.47 80.79

As you can see price is 1.47 instead 1.46xx value. In Strategy report is the same. I think this may cause problems on running strategy.

Thanks

If you want to print to four decimal places then try this:

print (avgEntryPrice:2:4,CCIval)

You can format the numeric expressions displayed using the the following syntax behind the variable/number:

e.g.

Print( Value1 :N:M );

N is the minimum number of integers to use,

and M is the number of decimals to use.

If the numeric expression has more integers than what is specified by N,

the Print statement will use all the digits in the expression.

The decimal values are rounded to the nearest value of M.

Example:

MyPie = 3.14159;

Print( MyPie :0:4 );

The numeric expression displayed in the Print Log would be 3.1416.

Thanks alot for your help !!!

Now print command works fine but STRATEGY REPORT not yet. Any idea ??

at your Strategy Report window, select Settings.

Tams,

I saw in another post if someone were to post an eld file you could/would convert it to text. Is this so? even if it is locked and NOT commercially obtained?

Ashish

Tams,

I saw in another post if someone were to post an eld file you could/would convert it to text. Is this so? even if it is locked and NOT commercially obtained?

Ashish

If you have locked it by mistake, I can give it a try. (no guarantees)

but I will not open copyright material.

Tams, i would never have tought you as a respected TL member

would serious consider to hack a file for someone who's first post

on this forum was the very question if it would be possible to open a protected file.

the whole point of protecting it is to stop people trying to hack into it.

Tams, i would never have tought you as a respected TL member

would serious consider to hack a file for someone who's first post

on this forum was the very question if it would be possible to open a protected file.

the whole point of protecting it is to stop people trying to hack into it.

I am not sure if I understand what you mean

maybe if you can write slower...?

Edited by Tams