Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TraderBG

Best College Degree For Traders

I'm still a sophomore in college and have not yet decided what I will major in. I want to make efficient use of my time and make whatever I major in work for the betterment of my trading. Starting out I was leaning towards economics and finance obviously but I'm noticing how much of a role psychology plays in the market. So I'm curious what other traders think. What would you choose and why? And yes I know that no degree in the world teaches trading and only screen time makes a trader so no need to reiterate this to me but since I'm already getting a degree, which one can be utilized the best?

ps I'm currently a daytrader and will probably always be but I do hope to one day incorporate swing trading into the mix.

Thanks for any advice

My degree is in finance and business mgmt BG and that has served me well. I think seeing the different views of the market and also having some courses in managing a business has helped. The one thing that really helped me was that in the finance dept a new professor at the time got a stock trading/analyzing course together where the school gave this class $250k in real money to manage. That was the best experience I had in college by far. While we were more of a fundamental swing trading group, it really opened my eyes to what was going on.

The majors I could see providing some help in some fashion would be finance, econ, business mgmt and psychology. Like you said, nothing is really going to prep you for daytrading, but those could help in some way.

Think about a few courses in stats, finite math, and probability analysis. Understanding probabilities -- really understanding probabilities -- is one of the most useful things you can study for trading.

In terms of psych courses, you can focus on social psych (group behavior) and behavioral finance/investment psychology, if offered. A course in cognitive psychology, especially one that deals with decision-making heuristics and cognitive biases would be of good, practical value. You would also benefit from a psych course on human performance or sport psych, but you may not find that on the undergrad level. Other standard psych courses like abnormal psych, tests & measurements, etc probably won't have that much utility unless you want to specialize in the psychology of trading.

You might also want to take a course in computer programming like C++ so you can at least be familiar with how charts and indicators are made and maybe even build your own. Learning Excel is also handy for trading.

Anything that can land you a decent job when you need or want one.

Finance, econ(stats included), psych are all good. I took an investment course where we managed an investment portfolio very conservatively in its attempt to teach value investing. It demonstrated a consistent unspectacular long term return. All of it can be self taught at the undergraduate level.

Why the recommendations for business? Do you guys mean business as in corporate management or do you guys mean general business courses?

Edited by rock

i got a corporate finance degree and a masters on economic and finance

beware that even that the college degrees will teach you a lot, the minute you are on your own youll realize that college didnt actually teach you most of waht you really need when analyzing and trading

I ended up as an assistant professor on account I knew more of bonds markets than my teachers, since my grandfather was a bonds trader and taught me since I was a teenager

If you KNOW you are going to be a full time independent trader and nothing else, take jock courses so you will have time for Screentime 101 - 401, PersonalEdgeFinding 101 - 401, Backtesting 101 - 401, PainManagement 101 - 401, Perseverence 101 - 401, and whatever other trading 'coursework' you will need :) If you have any leaning towards having a trading mentor - do it now.

Pick a court game - tennis, raquetball, handball, even table tennis - and get good at it.

Take fencing if it's available.

If you don't understand programming - take courses until you do

If you don't understand accounting - take 101

If you don't understand finance - ditto

Same for economics, statistics, psychology, etc

and ...these only if you have obvious gaps in understanding - otherwise don't waste your time.

If you don't KNOW you are going to be a full time independent trader major in the field supportive of your most likely career and minor in liberal arts classics, subjects that over time you'll appreciate they really round out your 'brains'

"Never let school get in the way of your education" Mark Twain

Nice post zdo. I am a rookie in trading but I feel it the same way. I have a master degree in civil engineering, yet I think education is not relevant. IMO what matters is open mind, logical thinking or common sense, and dedication.

If you KNOW you are going to be a full time independent trader and nothing else, take jock courses so you will have time for Screentime 101 - 401, PersonalEdgeFinding 101 - 401, Backtesting 101 - 401, PainManagement 101 - 401, Perseverence 101 - 401, and whatever other trading 'coursework' you will need :) If you have any leaning towards having a trading mentor - do it now.

Pick a court game - tennis, raquetball, handball, even table tennis - and get good at it.

Take fencing if it's available.

If you don't understand programming - take courses until you do

If you don't understand accounting - take 101

If you don't understand finance - ditto

Same for economics, statistics, psychology, etc

and ...these only if you have obvious gaps in understanding - otherwise don't waste your time.

If you don't KNOW you are going to be a full time independent trader major in the field supportive of your most likely career and minor in liberal arts classics, subjects that over time you'll appreciate they really round out your 'brains'

"Never let school get in the way of your education" Mark Twain

Thanks for you response. What do you mean by jock courses? And screentime perserverance and pain management...are those real courses?! If they are, I'm there! I'm very hesitant to take classes from non-formal sources like online trading academy and places like that. Is that what you were referring to?

I am studying political science - simply because I enjoy it. I personally think you should study what you enjoy while getting your BA. You don't know what will happen down the road, and what's the point of limiting yourself to one thing? That was the advice given to me by my mentor who was a partner in a big 5 consulting firm.

But I will be honest, I will most likely minor in statistics or econ. I am leaning towards economics because I want my own global private equity fund down the road. But I still plan on taking statistics classes to boost my knowledge for my options biz.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I am probably like most people here, and I'm self taught. If I want to learn something, I go out and learn it on my own.