Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

james_gsx

New computer

So we fried a computer today and it's pretty much toast. The whole house smells absolutely terrible now :o

But this brings up a good opportunity since we obviously need a new computer. The computer that fried was NOT my primary trading computer, but seeing as how everything is so fast these days this brings up the question of whether or not I should take this opportunity to buy a new one. The one I'm currently using would just become a play computer for basic applications.

So assuming I go with a new trading computer, what should I look for? What brands do you all like? XP or is Vista now compatible and fast enough to work with most trading platforms? What else should I keep in mind?

I hope some valuable information can pass through this thread so anyone looking for a new computer in the future can resort to this thread. Thanks everyone.

James,

I have just gone through this process. I have read and educated myself about computers in the process. One thing to keep in mind is that many people will have their own opinions and ideas. I kept looking for the "right" setup, and there is not a 100% correct answer.

Here is what I went with. I don't know how quickly you are able to get your new setup, but Dell in running a great deal on their Vostro model. You can upgrade it with as much juice as you want. It also comes with a video card upgrade option to the Nvidia GeForce 8600gts card which is a top of the line card, and you can run 2 monitors through dvi connections.

The deal is $330 off through January 31st.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=brpc4gk&s=bsd

Just an idea.

Thanks 404; I like that idea. I just had a friend find me some stuff on newegg.com and he pieced together a pretty badass computer for $1800 and can support 4 monitors. It's definitely more than I'll ever need. Sounds great but I wouldn't know how to put it all together so I guess that defeats the purpose. Unless I called my ex girlfriend and had her put it together for me :o

Has anyone else built a computer?

I don't have any sort of time frame, just exploring all different options.

Hey james, just wondering how your custom computer was coming. Been looking at new computers trying to compare them, it may be cheaper to build your own, but how did you come up with your list!!

Hi.

I bought my trading computer last month and I'm very pleased with it. Here's the description:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 cpu with 4 GB RAM.

150GB HD at 10.000 RPM SATA II for main drive (C: )

500GB HD at 7.200 RPM SATA II for other data (D: )

Gigabyte EN8800GT graphics card with 512MB RAM

2 x Samsung 226BW (22" monitors)

Windows Vista Ultimate.

Cool :)

Thanks,

Hi.

I bought my trading computer last month and I'm very pleased with it. Here's the description:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 cpu with 4 GB RAM.

150GB HD at 10.000 RPM SATA II for main drive (C: )

500GB HD at 7.200 RPM SATA II for other data (D: )

Gigabyte EN8800GT graphics card with 512MB RAM

2 x Samsung 226BW (22" monitors)

Windows Vista Ultimate.

Cool :)

Thanks,

Very nice pc you got there. Im jealous :)

Hi Don4.

All the times I had to assembly a new PC I had lots of scratchs in my hands and spent lots of time. So, I choosed the components but I had no patience to assembly it. The store assembled it for me for free ;-)

Maybe near by you, you can get the same or better components and ask them to assemble it for you too.

I'm thinking in buy a new EN8800GT card and two more 22" monitors when my TradeStation subscription is ready.

Thanks,

I'm also looking for a new trading PC.

My favorite is currently a shuttle XPC, does anybody has any experiences with these barebones?

In regards to the monitor I found this new Samsung 2263 DX. It comes with an attached 7" display. This could be useful for traders I believe.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Samsung-039-s-2263DX-22-inch-Display-Comes-With-7-inch-Siamese-Brother-76071.shtml

Any comments?

Building a new computer asua 780i Intel 775 with nividi 8600 cards need 4 heads. wil run XP pro. Vista not there yetYou dont need quad cores

The biggest problem is the win tcip stack on windows, so off loading this process to the

Asus to its on board tcip processor takes it off windows. Stops Freezing

Good stuff. I'm building a new one finally once Quad Q6600 drops to 200 bucks. True, quad is probly not needed for a trading comp but for the price why not?

Pulled these specs from an audio DAW building thread. Audio forums are probly a good place too look for trading comp specs as if anything audio is much more demanding.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX power supply

Corsair XMS2 4 gigs of ram

Cooler Master COSMOS case. check out this case, looks fantastic for keeping things cool without a headache.

Seagate Barracudas for HD but not sure how much space I want yet.

My trusty old m-audio delta 44 soundcard.

Not sure about video cards yet. I still just use an ancient dual head Matrox. Might just buy another one and see how that goes as far as a quad config.

Wouldn't even think of bother going to vista personally.

XP with these tweaks for maximum audio recording performance is pretty hard to top as far as effeciency

http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm

I was also look at some of those terrabyte external HDs. Anyone ever thought about using an old machine with an old monitor, leave it on 24/7 and just collect tick data all day? Something I need to look into once this new machine is built. May as well considering the price of good tick data vs the small increase on the electric bill.

Edited by darthtrader

Well this is the new Baby it’s a little overkill, it will only be running Ts data feed.

Execution platform on a Different computer. I’m a scalper and a tape reader. I trade Us. Ty Corn , some wheat lately. scalp the ym/es. Can’t have my system freeze on Fed day or when the market decides to move 200 points, outa the blue.

I’m tired of the junky quality these trading computer companies Hawk, just junk owned a couple.

Have left me in the ditch before. So decided to do it right.

I don’t need a lot a disc space not really storing anything,

I Iike the penryn iIntel only 45 watts less heat

Anything less heat good! HAHa

8600 video boards really overkill for trading really only need the7300 not going to be rendering anything.

But like the fact the 8600 are PCI express 16 ‘s so have faster bus speeds. The fsb 1330 is the important part because the 780 tcp processor communicates via this bus to the Cpu. Windows treats tcp as idle process, so when you get…200 points of market movement its tic data crushes win tcip. If you get the check sum junk off the Cpu and the windows stack, problem goes away.

Case, Coolermaster Centurion

Power Supply, Seasonic 550W

Motherboard, Asus Striker-2

CPU, Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 (Penryn) 45nm 3.0Ghz,

6mb Cache

Memory, DDR2-800, Crucial Ballistix

with heat spreader

Western Digital Hard Drive, Model 1500ADFD, 150gb,

Raptor 10k rpm, SATA

Video Adapter, Asus GeForce 8600 GT, 256MB with fans, get the fans

Software, Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Well... Unfortunately I didn't build the computer. A lot of things came up at once and I didn't have time. I also had a change of heart and decided I wanted all my trading expenses to start coming from trading gains and not a bottomless pocketbook.

But... I was at Best Buy yesterday getting a feel for what was out there. I was planning on buying a new laptop and using my current computer strictly for trading. But instead I found a Gateway with an AMD 9500 quad core processor (not sure if AMD is a good thing right now, but I've had great success in the past), 3bg of ram, 500gb hard drive, and the video card was able to support 2 monitors (all I use) straight out of the box. I got it for $700, which I thought was a pretty good deal. So I went ahead and bought it, and it came with Vista Premium. So far, I like it.

I am considering purchasing a custom built laptop from trading computers. Has anyone had any experience with their products.

It is difficult to compare apples to apples but it appears that the custom built computers have the same components as the mass produced computers. The only difference appears to be in the price tag , the custom computers are quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks all.

Guest forsearch

I've heard that xview is a great place for this, but only if you have the $$$ to spend.

-fs

Just a thought for anyone working through this thread.

The quad isn't needed for almost any trading app and the latest core2duo's give you better outright cpu speed with much lower power consumption for lower bucks than the q6600s. Try an 8400.

Also the 8000 series graphics cards are not really needed for anything except the latest games at highest resolution so you can save a bit on dollars and power consumption with the 7300GS or 7900GS instead.

Finally the Raptor and (newest) Velociraptor hard drives are extremely fast which again is almost irrelevant to trading. In return for speed they are noisy, power hungry and have lower bang for the buck (the sweet spot for hds seems to be about 500GBytes from Seagate or Western Digital (possibly less reliable than SG).

Green is good; so is quiet :cheers: