Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Identifying high probability trading levels

Anytime you have pivots lining up with each other, they create a high probability trading opportunity.

Some key levels I will pay attention to are: value high, value low, daily pivots, previous day high/low, and open gaps.

On Sept. 1st 2006, the Dow mini gapped up above a critical resistance level and above value. This indicated a positive shift in market sentiment. As you can see, the value high pivot and the open gap is pretty in line with each other.

This level offered a great trading opportunity and the dead low for the day. Anytime the markets gap up above value, I will use the value high pivot as support to establish a long position. This is usually a high probability trading level.

090106.jpg.9eb93c0374193c7349332eb701a138fd.jpg

I like to use moving average clusters. They work fairly well on 5 minute charts. I also analyze volume. I will take a look at the last 5 days of trading action and if I see high volume spikes with a price reversal, I will mark those levels as significant.

Using trading levels has been quite a breakthrough for me in my trading. Discovering overheated zones in particular on the 5 minute chart.

But using levels is only half of it in my opinion.

For your short term trading to be successful you can use all or some of the following to enhance your hold.

•  
  • Average in
  • Basket Trade
  • Stop & Reverse

By using levels with these other methodologies might give you the time to discover the wave you are in and use the combined approach to net you profit.

Michael B.

I use trading levels combined with market understanding through market profiel. I would like to ask a few questions regarding your methods.

By averaging in, do you mean adding to your position? Also what do you mean by stop & reverse?

Thank you.

Using trading levels has been quite a breakthrough for me in my trading. Discovering overheated zones in particular on the 5 minute chart.

But using levels is only half of it in my opinion.

For your short term trading to be successful you can use all or some of the following to enhance your hold.

•  
  • Average in
  • Basket Trade
  • Stop & Reverse

By using levels with these other methodologies might give you the time to discover the wave you are in and use the combined approach to net you profit.

Michael B.

Hello Michael,

I am somewhat confused about your methodology. Is it necessary to identify the wave when intraday trading? I agree that one needs to see the bigger trend. Perhaps I am not quite understanding what you mean by wave.

Would you mind sharing and explaining it?

Regards,

Carter