Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

forexhitman

Full Time Trader

hello everone,

is there anyone out there who is a full time trader and made it,

when i say made it, i mean liek someone who quit their day job and suitting at home eating drinking trading ?

thanks

There are lots of people like that out there who are full time traders.

It's all I do but define 'full-time'... b/c I like to be done by Noon EST. ;)

LOL... that's a good one.

sorry BF, you are just a part time trader.

hello everone,

is there anyone out there who is a full time trader and made it,

when i say made it, i mean liek someone who quit their day job and suitting at home eating drinking trading ?

thanks

1. Have/find a solid edge...They do exist...

2. Have enough screentime monitoring/trading your edge so you know it like the back of you hand and you have good understanding of the markets.

3. Be well capitalized, to not burden your self with unnecessary pressure, which will cause mistakes.

4. sincerely(believe), be able to convince yourself that you will make money from trading.

If 1-4 are true then I dont see why not.....

yes...most that trade full-time by default had to quit their jobs :).

That said, if you have 1-3 but you dont have 4, dont quit your job. 4 is the most important ingridient--not just for Trading but in anything.

Best Regards

Not even sure I would qualify for part-time hours.

Where's HR around here?

;)

Such is the beauty of being "commission only", no work, no pay, but live by your own rules :)

Bull market = 2hrs per week & lots of travel.

Now = a few more hours, but I'm sick of the travel anway ;)

1. Have/find a solid edge...They do exist...

2. Have enough screentime monitoring/trading your edge so you know it like the back of you hand and you have good understanding of the markets.

3. Be well capitalized, to not burden your self with unnecessary pressure, which will cause mistakes.

4. sincerely(believe), be able to convince yourself that you will make money from trading.

If 1-4 are true then I dont see why not.....

yes...most that trade full-time by default had to quit their jobs :).

That said, if you have 1-3 but you dont have 4, dont quit your job. 4 is the most important ingridient--not just for Trading but in anything.

Best Regards

Getting a part time job that lets you trade the hours/market you want is a good first step as well, better then diving right in the deep end :-). Going full time and going through that first drawn down is an interesting experience when there is no pay check arriving next week regardless :2c:

We really do need some kind of obvious self-designation symbol next to people's names so you can see who:

- trades to make a living

- trades part time for some supplemental income

- trades in hopes of quitting their "real job" to trade full time (thats me)

- trades so they can tell those to whom they are selling trading systems that they do make some real trades :)

Some "word smithing" on the category names is needed but you get the idea.

We really do need some kind of obvious self-designation symbol next to people's names so you can see who:

- trades to make a living

- trades part time for some supplemental income

- trades in hopes of quitting their "real job" to trade full time (thats me)

- trades so they can tell those to whom they are selling trading systems that they do make some real trades :)

Some "word smithing" on the category names is needed but you get the idea.

If you are trying to sort out those that actually trade and those that don't, you might be a bit discouraged how many don't... Don't believe me? Ask them to start posting in our p/l thread. See what kind of reactions you get.

If you are trying to sort out those that actually trade and those that don't, you might be a bit discouraged how many don't... Don't believe me? Ask them to start posting in our p/l thread. See what kind of reactions you get.

I slowly figured that out when I first found the forum and read through thousands of posts. There aren't that many full timers. That is okay.

I am a bit embarrased that I participate in this forum so frequently and am not a full time trader but I look forward to the day when I can post that I have quite my job to trade as my primary income producing activity. I realize the road is long but I am natually a patient person and I plan on enjoying the journey without knowing when I will arrive at the destination. I have meet some great people on this forum and had some great epiphanies while sorting through all the information out there which are exciting moments.

Investing and trading since 1990's

Been day trading about 9 years

Going on 5 years as full time - albeit only about 4 hrs a day max

Ran a hedge fund for 3 years

Do it for profit..and fun.

Teach occassionally 1:1

All I do is trade right now, but I'm going to medical school in the fall, so I guess I won't be "full time" then. In any case, I only trade 9:30am to 11:00am anyway, so I'm with brownsfan on that aspect. As far as trusting the advice here... who cares whose profiting? If you are learning to trade and to understand the market from the people here (whether it be candle sticks, moving averages, wyckoff, vsa, or programmed strategies) and you're making a profit... what does it matter? There is so much valuable information for any kind of trader on this forum. If you want "proof", go find a guru that charges $5000 for his course and I'm sure he'll prove to you in any way he can that he "makes a profit". This is truly a gold mine for a trader who's willing to do the work. In short, you found the best trading forum on the web. Good trading to you.

All I do is trade right now, but I'm going to medical school in the fall, so I guess I won't be "full time" then. In any case, I only trade 9:30am to 11:00am anyway, so I'm with brownsfan on that aspect. As far as trusting the advice here... who cares whose profiting? If you are learning to trade and to understand the market from the people here (whether it be candle sticks, moving averages, wyckoff, vsa, or programmed strategies) and you're making a profit... what does it matter? There is so much valuable information for any kind of trader on this forum. If you want "proof", go find a guru that charges $5000 for his course and I'm sure he'll prove to you in any way he can that he "makes a profit". This is truly a gold mine for a trader who's willing to do the work. In short, you found the best trading forum on the web. Good trading to you.

Agreed, I never asked for or saw a single trade result or statement from anybody I stole ideas from. I'm sure some of them are not profitable at all given how often they change their systems, but they rake in millions from their fees for services rendered. So long as I can make money I don't care if they ever become profitable themselves (beyond their highly profitable marketing skills that is :( )

Nice call :rofl:

me - traded for the last 16 years first as a option market maker, recently 9 years just sitting at the desk trading away for myself. Currently in UK, trying to set up a business - so trading has not been a focus for the last year - just getting back into it now. Interesting in that I went from working 4 hours a day back to working 10 hours - its all messed up:crap:

Have not received a paycheck since Sep 2000.

Dont sell systems, dont buy systems.

My PL consists of lots of small losses and a few big gains so it would not look pretty for most day traders.

For me if it moves its fair game - FX, equities, futures, options. I must admit that sometimes this causes me problems, as it gives me too many choices.

One distinction that would be interesting between different people is those who trade only a few instruments or markets, and only short term trade - and those who run more of a portfolio.

Either way - I enjoy the forum and think there are no easy answers to trading

I've been trading for over 30 years, some as a local. I'm teaching my youngets daughter how to trade electronically and we are documenting it in a blog.

You might get some ideas from some of my posts. Its basically what I am teaching her.

1. Keep it simple

2. Trade Order Flow

3. Trade at Support and Resistance areas.

I've retired from trading now but I can certainly help anyone serious if they wish to become successful full or even part time traders.

I operated a momentum based trading system using an MT4 platform.

These are my rules

1. Seek out divergence first.

2. Look for momentum based support or resistance for a stop if the trade goes wrong.

3. Recognise the direction in the higher timeframe until a high probability top or bottom is detected. Then wait on the sidelines to see if if holds or not. In the attachment (EURUSD 1m chart) the red and blue horizontals are resistance and support respectively whilst the background on the centre indicator is dark. It is the indicator background that shows direction, not the chart background.

4. Use open prices of candles for diagonal trap lines.This can give you an early warning of a trade or and exit.

Because there is a probable bottom previously, based on momentum, it is only safe to wait and see if the bottom is broken via a diagonal.

Everything should agree before a safe trade is considered. The backgrounds of the bottom two indicators, the direction of the all indicators and of course the trap diagonals when they are cut by the price.

Hope this helps.

Regards

TEAMTRADER

'Trade what you see and not what you hear or hope.'

bad.thumb.gif.8cadc8e42d7f3be1ea507c05c5a9005d.gif

I've retired from trading now but I can certainly help anyone serious if they wish to become successful full or even part time traders.

I operated a momentum based trading system using an MT4 platform.

These are my rules

1. Seek out divergence first.

2. Look for momentum based support or resistance for a stop if the trade goes wrong.

3. Recognise the direction in the higher timeframe until a high probability top or bottom is detected. Then wait on the sidelines to see if if holds or not. In the attachment (EURUSD 1m chart) the red and blue horizontals are resistance and support respectively whilst the background on the centre indicator is dark. It is the indicator background that shows direction, not the chart background.

4. Use open prices of candles for diagonal trap lines.This can give you an early warning of a trade or and exit.

Because there is a probable bottom previously, based on momentum, it is only safe to wait and see if the bottom is broken via a diagonal.

Everything should agree before a safe trade is considered. The backgrounds of the bottom two indicators, the direction of the all indicators and of course the trap diagonals when they are cut by the price.

Hope this helps.

Regards

TEAMTRADER

oi u retired?

1. wiped out cap?

2. dont like the game of taking money from the over enthusiastic opposite?

3. ultimately discovered there isnt any holy grail ?

just curious

Not sure you fully understood what I have written, but if you need something further explained then I will be pleased to help.

The Holy Grail is a mind-set.

Regards

TEAMTRADER