Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

5 common discipline mistakes traders make:

Trading with money they can’t afford to lose

Most active traders know that they should not be using money they might possibly need for other life purposes to fund their trading account. However, I know many of them commit this cardinal trading sin because they think they can get rich quick or they don’t really think they will lose any money. You really need to have the discipline to consciously remind yourself that if you are using money to trade that you really shouldn’t lose than you are essentially gambling and are setting yourself up for a whole host of emotionally fueled trading mistakes.

Not having a defined trading plan or method

If I were to ask you “what is your trading plan”, what would you say? If you cannot decisively answer this question than you have a serious lack of discipline which is going to drain your trading account very quickly. Developing a defined trading plan is not only a benefit to your emotional sanity but it also gets you in the habit of doing things objectively and helps develop your self-discipline. Success in trading is all about self-control and managing your emotions. You need to write out your trading plan when you are away from the markets and then follow this plan as you interact with markets in order to keep your brain in check.

Having a trading plan and not following it

Having a valid and defined trading plan is essential to trading success but if you are not following the plan you spent so long developing than you might as well throw it out the window. It is extremely easy to think you see something happening in the market that warrants you doing something not consistent with your trading plan. These are the exact behaviors that end up killing traders’ accounts. After the fact you realize that had you just stuck to your objective trading plan you would have been much better off. The emotional anguish and frustration that results from this is often quite intense. Often this cycle is the catalyst for a snow-ball effect of emotional mistakes that can literally lead to you blowing out your trading account very quickly. It requires more discipline to stick to your trading plan than to actually develop one. Read that last sentence again.

Letting winners turn into losers

Allowing a previously positive trade to turn negative is probably one of the most common mistakes that are a direct result of a lack of discipline in the market. Predicting near-term market direction is not the most difficult skill to become good at. What is difficult though, is taking profits off the table and proper stop-loss placement. Many times traders have un-realistic profit targets that are too far away from their entries. When these targets get missed and the market starts turning back towards the entry point many traders at this point are not thinking logically if they don’t stick to their plan. Often traders will not have moved their stop loss to break even after being up a substantial amount of money. Then when the market gets back to their entry and turns negative they start to hope. Once the hoping starts you might as well start burning your trading account money, because you are about to lose it. Many traders even move their stop losses further away from their entries because they think the market will turn back around in their favor. Sometimes it indeed will, but the point is, if you develop the habit of hoping and moving your stops away from your entry point eventually you are going to get burned really bad and it’s going to essentially nullify all of your previous trading success.

Overtrading

Over trading is a direct result of a discipline deficiency. Generally, over trading is a symptom of numerous other trading mistakes that were a result of a lack of discipline. Not having a trading plan or not following the one you do have leads to overtrading, as does letting winners turn into losers. People usually over-trade as they try to make back money they unexpectedly lost on a previous trade. Even if you are following your trading plan to a T you are going to endure losing trades or even strings of losing trades. In the face of such adversity you must realize that you cannot make irrational trades that deviate from your plan just to try and make back what you just lost. It won’t work, it never works. Your trading plan needs to be played out over a large series of trades for you to see its profitability. If you deviate from this plan by over trading than you are nullifying your edge in the market and might as well go hit the slots in Vegas.

Nial Fuller is an expert on price action forex trading strategies, you can visit his website at Learn To Trade The Market

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jonh Smith
      I searched in google with keywords best forex robot 2019 and in the end I found fxflightproEA from their website fxflightpro.com . if anyone has ever bought, I was interested in their ea. I saw a very small drawdown, and monthly profit looks great.and I see myfxbook profit reaching 50% in 50 days. if there are buy please review here and I say thank you if anyone would like to share here.

thanks
    • By StraussX
      Hi GUYS, Happy Wednesday!
      I'd like to share daily forex analysis from Followme, hope this information helps your trading.
      Today, Let's focus on AUD and NZD.
      AUDUSD is trading at 0.6761; the instrument is moving below Ichimoku Cloud, thus indicating a descending tendency. The markets could indicate that the price may test the cloud’s downside border at 0.6765 and then resume moving downwards to reach 0.6635. Another signal to confirm further descending movement is the price’s rebounding from the descending channel’s upside border. However, the scenario that implies further decline may be canceled if the price breaks the cloud’s upside border and fixes above 0.6825. In this case, the pair may continue growing towards 0.6905.

NZDUSD is trading at 0.6447; the instrument is moving below Ichimoku Cloud, thus indicating a descending tendency. The markets could indicate that the price may test the cloud’s downside border at 0.6455 and then resume moving downwards to reach 0.6315. Another signal to confirm further descending movement is the price’s rebounding from the resistance level. However, the scenario that implies further decline may be canceled if the price breaks the cloud’s upside border and fixes above 0.6525. In this case, the pair may continue growing towards 0.6645.
    • By millonmethod
      Hello everyone!
      I am an advanced trader, with many years of experience (about 15 years - 10 living exclusively from this)
      I am going to give you some tips that you must know:
      There are going to be many people who tell you that trade is easy, that with only crossiing a line  with another one you will win a lot of money.... and that´s not true.  No, Sir, reality is far away from that. Many people who start arrive here with the hope that someone "gives them" a free method, they watch youtube videos thinking that this will give them the "strategy" and in a few days they realize that it does not work for them - they lose money - and then They go looking for a new one ... and so on. YES, IT´S TRUE YOU EARN IN TRADING, A LOT. BUT THINK: for a few to win (10% + any BROKER) many others must lose (90% people). YOU MUST HAVE A MONEY MANAGMENT FORMULA ( you can email me) People study so many years to live on this, not because they are dumb, but to know what they do, when, and have absolute effectiveness. It´s very easy to get lost here: do not disperse, jumping from one to another strategy WILL NEVER give you money, it will only waste your time and make you nervous when trading. PEOPLE WHO CHANGE THEIR METHOD CONSTANTLY : LOOOOSE ALWAYS.   If you have the knowledge to develop it, take your time and do it.  Always try it first on DEMO for at least 2 weeks! If not: search to buy a solid strategy (no you tube videos pleassse ! Avoid losing money! ) This is like any business, it requires some capital to start (capital = money in the broker + solid made /purchased strategy) If you are lost: I RECOMMEND YOU NOT TO WASTE TIME IN YOUTUBE, JOIN PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A METHOD ... PLEASE !!!! DO NOT BUY 10 BAD AND CHEAP METHODS, SAVE MONEY AND BUY ONLY 1 BUT EXCLUSIVE AND MUST ALLWAYS HAVE SUPPORT !!!!!  Do not buy Signals! They never keep up with constant profits! One week will win and the next will lose. Nothing that does not depend absolutely on you will give you the money you are looking for. And if you do not have a strategy (made or purchased) do not even try PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: DO NOT USE REAL MONEY! AT LEAST 2 WEEK DEMO FREE HELP HERE!!!!!  IF YOU FOLLOW MY ADVICE YOU WILL BE PART OF THAT 10% WINNER, email me.
      Have a nice trading day

• By Georgebro8
      So I've been 18 for about 4 months, since I turned 18 I started up an account, and basically thought I was doing amazing because of beginners luck, put in some of my savings and managed to do well, some days I would make £200, one day I even made £900, after time I lost my profits and made a loss as well. I've realised I need to spend the time analysing the market and making technical judgments. I'm trying to read more and spend a lot of my time looking at the charts. is there any advice people can give me. and is making 5% a week a realistic goal to set myself? before anyone assumes that im looking for a get rich quick scheme, im certainly not, I see every loss ive made as a lesson and ensure that I learn from each mistake I make. 
      any advice about indicators, strategies, how to analyse the market, or even analysing earning reports would help me.
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.