Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

suby

S&P Santa Rally or S&P Cliff Dive

I realize this is the TA section of the website; however, given that the TA section is the most visited area of Traders Lab and that the majority of traders here are undoubtly S&P traders (Directly or indirectly) I would like to start a discussion in regards to market sentiment on the S&P going into the final stretch of this year.

Some of the greatest sources of wealth generation have been in one day market crashes (i.e. 1987, 2000, 2008, etc). On Thursday when speaker Beiner spoke the market dropped 8 points in a matter of 2 minutes. Nothing to wild; however, what was interesting to note about that 8 point drop was how fast and almost planned (algo execution) those 2 minutes were.

I realize you should probably never hold a bias towards your market direction; however, the last time the S&P approached the 1450 area we immediately proceeded to drop throughout the day to 1420. There is clearly a ton of volatility in today's market, specifically around each time a major economic announcment is made (pertaining to the fiscal cliff).

Where does everyone stand on the current state of the S&P. Do you feel we have room to run. Do you feel we are close to the roof and its only a matter of time until we dive off the cliff.

I am interested to hear where everyone stands on this issue.

New highs in the next 3-6 weeks. New highs for the year and possibly an all time high.

Curious to hear how you've come to this MightyMouse

The relationship between the S&P500 and the VIX looks extremely tame right now but whats preventing this market from following off a cliff?

Curious to hear how you've come to this MightyMouse

The relationship between the S&P500 and the VIX looks extremely tame right now but whats preventing this market from following off a cliff?

In spite of the cliff rhetoric, I think there will be a resolution soon. The shorts will be bloodied. There are lots of shorts which leads to buying pressure. 1500 is within spitting distance. I am comfortable thinking we will see s&p 1750 (arbitrarily chosen) before we see s&p 1250 again.

In spite of the cliff rhetoric, I think there will be a resolution soon. The shorts will be bloodied. There are lots of shorts which leads to buying pressure. 1500 is within spitting distance. I am comfortable thinking we will see s&p 1750 (arbitrarily chosen) before we see s&p 1250 again.

MightyMouse,

Where can one obtain data pertaining to contracts short the S&P and Long the S&P...?

MightyMouse,

Where can one obtain data pertaining to contracts short the S&P and Long the S&P...?

Delta ( contracts at ask-contracts at bid) is helpful. The rest is experience. More art than right edged science.

MightyMouse,

For a non-intraday view, take a look at Open Interest with the COT Report here:

Commitments of Traders - CFTC

Be careful about reading too much into the breakdowns though - commercials get it wrong sometimes (and have deep pockets to ride it out as they generally hedge physical stock in the underlying), and speculators often get it wrong as well, depending on what type of speculator is making up the volume in any given week.

BlueHorseshoe

Didn't they just jump off the cliff and ended up on another ledge with another cliff 2 months away? I second mitsubishi, at least these jokers are giving us something to trade.

Conspiracy theory says these guys do this crap so their wall street buddies can trade with inside info.

MMS

Didn't they just jump off the cliff and ended up on another ledge with another cliff 2 months away? I second mitsubishi, at least these jokers are giving us something to trade.

Conspiracy theory says these guys do this crap so their wall street buddies can trade with inside info.

MMS

Could very well be at this point

At the end of the day its the big money that moves the markets really (i.e. the more informed traders not the noise traders)

I just can;t believe the price action this week.

Don't know what to expect if we break 1465; however, I still am looking for a juicy short in this envirnoment