Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Good Morning All;

Many traders who study our methods learn in a fairly quick time how to trade properly. Most are taken aback by the ease and beauty of the method. If problems arise, it usually is due to not following some rules, and often the top rule to be broken is an improper entry. This entry is often due to not having patience, or not having a well-laid plan to remind you what to do. Here are a few basic reminders.

The Best Time to Enter

There are a few concepts that seem very basic, but often get lost in the day-to-day noise that can often cloud your judgment. Just taking a few minutes every day and a few seconds before planning every trade can often help keep you out of trouble.

If you are core trading or swing trading, you need to ask if it is the best time to enter trades. Are you entering swing trades during the first 5 minutes, when the market really has no direction on the daily charts? The majority of stocks will get most of their move from the market in general, and the sector they are in. Are you fighting the main move of the market or the sector when you are entering? There are many times that longer-term trades should wait until the market is in the proper trend. When the market is in a major uptrend or downtrend most money can be made by taking stocks for the big moves with a long-term account; sideways or trendless times in the market are better for playing the range provided.

If you are entering intraday trades, are you accounting for reversal times? Are you following your trading plan in terms of what strategies to play at what times of the day? Your trading plan should do everything possible to keep you out of trades. Are you trying to enter late day break outs during lunch? Are you going long at the 10:30 A.M. reversal time after a strong rally because you are afraid to miss the longs?

Closing Comments

Set realistic targets for the market you are in and make sure your stops make sense for the target projected, or pass the trade. Do not worry about missing plays. Worry about playing quality and preserving capital on days and times when the market is not in the same mode you want to be in.

Paul Lange

Vice President of Services

Pristine Capital Holdings, Inc.

I've found the 7-10:30am (CST) to be the most lucrative time for day trading the US index futures and European Currencies. For swing trading I like to wait the first 15-mins after the NYSE open then execute my orders if my criteria is met. I ignore all intraday data when swing trading and just look at the daily charts.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Stocks4life
      $CDLX Cardlytics stock good buying at 29.29 support area https://stockconsultant.com/?CDLX

• By AdrianaLowe
      The theme over this last trading week has been one of remarkable resilience. After breaking down from key resistance levels, it seemed that a period of consolidation would follow. But, globally, markets instead rallied with conviction to retest their highs.
      I have been sceptical about the sustainability of the rally this year. But one of the most fundamental axioms of surviving the markets is to trade what you see, not what you believe. And what I am seeing is markets that seem to want to push higher across the board, with individual stocks holding up well even when faced with bearish news.
      S&P 500

(credit: chart from Sigma by Hydra X)
      The S&P closed the week strongly at 2,822.48, up 0.5% on high volume, and on the back of its biggest weekly gain since November 2018. US markets seem insistent on forging a path higher despite the overhang of earnings, macro economy news, North Korea, and ongoing China trade talks. I still wait for price to break and close clear of the congestion zone around 2,800 before entering longs, but this looks increasingly like a environment where the only rational positions to take are either to be flat or long.
      MICROSOFT

Gains this week were led by tech, with the sector surging 4.9%, and also becoming the best performing sector of 2019. I find MSFT interesting, having completed a bullish inverse head and shoulders pattern, rallying in a tight rising channel, and strongly testing resistance (and also its all-time highs) on high volume. But a spinning top candlestick in the midst of overhead resistance, and a bearish stochastic crossover which in overbought territory could translate into a pullback, which could provide interesting entries for longs.
      TESLA

A good litmus test for market sentiment is how stocks behave on news. Tesla has held on to $275 support despite its Model Y unveiling event underwhelming analysts; BAML, CFRA Research and Canaccord Genuity all issued cautionary notes. If it gets there, $260 looks to be strong support for a countertrend rally.

BOEING

Boeing continued to suffer the aftermath of the latest tragedy, ultimately having to suspend its entire fleet of 737 MAX planes when the FAA finally followed the lead of global aviation authorities in grounding the plane. Deliveries of the 737 MAX have also been paused. The beleaguered company faces an indeterminate outcome from investigations, bills from airlines affected by the grounding of the plane, as well as potential suits from the families of victims. On Thursday, the US Air Force joined the party. It launched a blistering attack on Boeing, saying that the company has a ‘severe situation’ after flawed inspections of their KC-46 air refuelling tanker aircraft, and questioning the company’s ‘culture of discipline for safety’. [https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/politics/air-force-boeing-refueling-plane/index.html] Despite all this, the stock has proven remarkably well supported at $370, repeatedly rallying from those levels on high volume.
      FACEBOOK

No company has had a worse week than FB, even within the context of its bad year. The week started with a proposal by Senator Elizabeth Warren to break up FB, was followed by a network outage affecting its Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram services, and then announcements of a widening federal criminal probe into its data sharing practices. Two key executives, Chris Cox and Chris Daniels also announced their departures from the company. A nadir was reached when its Facebook application was used to livestream the hate-driven massacre of 49 people in New Zealand.
      Technically, the stock has broken below the bottom of its ascending channel, and key overhead resistance in the $170-173 region looks daunting. There is also a huge gap from Feb 2019 waiting to be closed.
      Yet in spite of the weak technical picture and the deluge of negative news, FB closed just 2.13% down for the week, and ended the trading session on Friday well above the lows of the day, forming a bullish hammer. While I have been waiting for a clear break in one direction or the other for a while, as rising channel met overhead resistance, I choose to stay as interested spectators for now.

EUR/USD

Finally, last week I noted the technical breakdown of key support levels in the EURUSD, in conjunction with fundamentally bearish news in the form of Draghi’s dovish speech. However, I was keen to stay on the sidelines, given past experience of how crowded trades tend to turn out. EURUSD didn’t disappoint, as it promptly rose in a stop-hunting rally, which would have trapped any short entries in a very uncomfortable position.

• By jfw215
      Hi folks,
      I will be posting my stock setups that I will be taking from 1:30p to 4p EST M-F. My trading is heavily influenced by Thalestrader, who has left a treasure trove of knowledge here at TL. My stock setups will target gapped stocks (S&P 500 constituents priced over $20) that consolidate and continue in the direction of the gap in the afternoon. Entries will include 123s and pullbacks to the 5 min 21 EMA. Please note I am currently on demo mode.
      I believe the keys to success in trading are really just a few simple things:
      Embracing the probabilistic mindset, which includes taking every valid setup regardless of how I feel about the outcome and not changing strategy based on recent results. Cutting losers quick and letting winners run.  Unconditional self love and acceptance. This is probably the most important thing and the ONLY secret there is. By being ok with making mistakes, being wrong, taking losers, giving self money, one can finally learn to trade without fear. This is probably where most people take the most time to learn (10 years for me). Here we go. Blue line denotes entry, red line are my stops adjusted to as close to real time as possible. 
      Today: -41c, +13c, +0

Best,
      J

• By lebnooni
      Hello I am interested in starting day trading, I have been trading the last year in long term investing but lately I have been getting really interested in day trading. I am from Canada and would like some pointers on where to start and what softwares, screeners, platforms etc to use here in Canada. Thanks in advance!
    • By fuqs
      Let's assume I was able to imply dividends from liquid options for the next 3 years, but I want to price an option expiring in the 4rd year from now. How would practitioners normally extrapolate implied dividends? From what i've observed there is a significant risk premium in implied dividends far out (implied divs are sold at discount). Actually the dividend term structure is declining. Therefore probably it makes more sense to extrapolate implied dividend rather than historical growth
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.