Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Windows Vista... 2 thumbs down

Spent over 6 hours today saving files, moving them, etc.. to upgrade to a Vista Business Edition. Such a junkie to new tech gadgets and software I had high hopes for this one. WRONG!! For those looking to purchase Vista, I highly recommend you stick with XP. Vista is extremely slow and not ideal for traders who want a fast machine. I would say you need at least 2gb of RAM to run this thing smoothly.

Now with Office 2007.... I couldnt even understand how to use excel that I had to switch back to Office 2003. grrrrrrrrrr.....

XP is great. My E6600 duo with 2GB of fast ram is happy to stay with XP.

The true techies who've been upgrading to vista are saying "at least 4 GB of ram" ... and don't forget that this implies the computer has to move all this stuff around to use the extra RAM (time).

The weird thing is that all these laptops are now coming out with Vista and 512MB. And vista won't play high quality legitimate video with as good a resolution as you can get with XP. Vista: "You can't always get what you want."

Office 2007 is total junk. It's designed so that people who didn't know how to use the previous versions can find stuff easier but if you already know how to find what you need then you'll be annoyed that everything has been moved. I'll definitely be trying the 64 bit version of Vista though because I hear that if you have a decent system it will run faster than XP.

Office 2007 is total junk. It's designed so that people who didn't know how to use the previous versions can find stuff easier but if you already know how to find what you need then you'll be annoyed that everything has been moved. I'll definitely be trying the 64 bit version of Vista though because I hear that if you have a decent system it will run faster than XP.

ahhh yes completely. They made it so annoying. It was taking me more than 30min to figure out a small function in excel that out of frustration I switched back to my old office. Although the new Word is nice.... even outlook was annoying.

On a quick note: The only thing good about Vista is the new sidebar gadgets.

How long now before Microsoft issues an "update" for XP that breaks it in order to force people to move to Vista?

Be careful of those "essential updates" from now on.

Come on guys.. knowing Microsoft's legendary history of delivering bug laden and cumbersome software, especially during major upgrades, it makes little sense to rush out and become one of the early adopters.

They claim this software is the first product that cues its own performance to the hardware capacities of your individual pc. That may well be true but my guess is it is slanted towards having the most high end components possible if you want decent performance from it and thus we all should probably remain content with using XP in whatever version we have grown comfortable, at least for the time being (or a Mac, for those who got fed up with all this stuff long ago).

When I decide to invest in a new trading pc, I intend to have a certain party build it (that's all they do) and I am sure they will accommodate me by loading it with my old reliable XP until such time as Vista is modified to run better on the majority of machines out there (which may take quite some time.)

Happy Trading ;)

I haven't upgraded to Vista (yet) and probably won't for awhile. I never really liked being a guniea pig in my opinion of running a new OS right away.

As for Office 07, it takes some getting used to, but there are some neat features hidden in there. Like anything else new, it takes time to get used to, esp as you become more and more dependent on the current version. For example, Excel now has quick access to formula building stuff that is very convenient for me now. Outlook has the ability to send text messages to cell phones! There is some great stuff in Office 07.

Beware of text messages from outlook ... you might find that the receiver has to pay for them and gets pretty sore with you if you use up their account.

Kiwi - yes, it's just like texting from your regular phone, just a lot more convenient for when you need to!

You better read January's PC World before you spend all this money.

They report there is little difference between the two. Many users went back to the 32bit version due to the lack of 64 bit drivers. AND, M$ Vista won't let you use any 64 bit drivers that M$ hasn't approved, (I wonder if approval has something to do with paying Gates?)

Now, I can't remember the source, but I remember all of us around the water cooler talking about the one article somewhere that compared XP with Vista, both 32 and 64 bit. In all cases, VISTA was slower, AND, it ran slower on Dual Core machines!! As I stated, I can't substantiate it at this time, I can't remember the article.

Conclusion, I will not be buying Vista at all, AND Office 07 went too far on the simplicity side and its now burdensome for those who don't need all the extra movements so they don't get lost.

*whispers* get a mac.....get a mac........

I'm to addicted to my right mouse button to go to some single button mouse clicking system!!!!!!!

Yea Vista blows chunks. My mate got it and he deleted it a day later went back to XP. Always to slow. Didn't get it myself was to scared to. I just got a new PC with 2bg of Ram and i dont want to feel like i wasted my hard earned on a 2 bit system. They're going to have to do something to make it run smoother especially the business pack because the last thing any business owner wants is more downtime!

It took me 2 years to move away from Window 2000 Pro, and the only reason that I move is because XP boot up faster.

I will do the same with Vista. wait till MS work out all their bug and hardware price come down further.

weiwei

Guest cooter

Windows 2000 rules. Unfortunately, it isn't supported by MSFT anymore.

Windows 2000 is supported for another 3 years yet. I have an old laptop with a Celeron 500 and 64MB of RAM running Windows 2000 and it's amazing how well it runs - very stable. You can make Windows XP look identical to Windows 2000 by switching to classic windows desktop. I think it looks a lot better than the kiddie-looking XP default.

Yeah notouch on my trading machine i use the classic windows desktop as it not only is less distracting, you get slightly more screen space as the start bar and title bars require less space.

Guest cooter
Windows 2000 is supported for another 3 years yet. I have an old laptop with a Celeron 500 and 64MB of RAM running Windows 2000 and it's amazing how well it runs - very stable. You can make Windows XP look identical to Windows 2000 by switching to classic windows desktop. I think it looks a lot better than the kiddie-looking XP default.

Since when? Case in point:

The recent update for the change in Daylight Savings Time. Guess which fix would NOT work with Windows 2000 machines?

I thought I heard that Win2K (on SP6 or so, now) was declared to be at the end of its support life. If you can get decent support and drivers for Win2K, by all means, go for it.

It's more stable than XP, and actually faster, because of the lower overhead. I'm think of actually going BACK to Win2K, just to see if Tradestation will run any faster or smoother with it.

Yes, frankly- it sucks.

It just freezes up for no reason whatsoever. All the browsers (IE/Firefox) will just sh*t the bed for no reason for 5-10 minutes. Brand new computer Dual Core, all that jazz.

We have a laptop with Vista, we brought it into Best Buy today and asked them to put XP back on.

I have office 2007, it sucks. I can't find half the things I want and the help feature blows.

My next trading PC will have windows XP no doubt, my biggest pet peeve is slow computers. My next laptop will be a mac, and all I will do with it is mess around online, nothing big.

hehehe... I bought myself a laptop also. Using Vista with Office 2007! I use it for entertainment purposes so its okay but for trading it would be a piece of crap. I think Windows XP classic default is the best way to go.