Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

pbylina

Probability in Trading

If I where playing a game where someone flips a coin and I have to guess which side it lands on, what are my odds of me being right? 50% right?

If I use the coin flip to make a trade(heads go long, tails go short) it is still 50% chance of being right. But I believe this is true if the TP and SL are equal distance from the entry.(TP=2 and SL=2)

The question is, If I now increase stop to 3 and keep TP and 2, is there a higher probability of it hitting my TP since it is closer?

Thanks.

no - because market prices are not random. they just seem like they are.

it would be an interesting experiment to back test your idea under 3 scenarios:

1. 2 tick TP 3 tick SL

2. 20 tick TP 30 tick SL

3. 200 tick TP 300 tick SL

My guess is that scenario 1 will have a significantly different outcome to scenario 3. Just my gut feel.

BTW, dont forget to include bro in your calculations. They are the hidden killer.

If I where playing a game where someone flips a coin and I have to guess which side it lands on, what are my odds of me being right? 50% right?

If I use the coin flip to make a trade(heads go long, tails go short) it is still 50% chance of being right. But I believe this is true if the TP and SL are equal distance from the entry.(TP=2 and SL=2)

The question is, If I now increase stop to 3 and keep TP and 2, is there a higher probability of it hitting my TP since it is closer?

Thanks.

If the market participants use random methods to decide buy/sell decisions,

you will observe your coin-toss trials return a 50-50 performance.

no - because market prices are not random. they just seem like they are.

it would be an interesting experiment to back test your idea under 3 scenarios:

1. 2 tick TP 3 tick SL

2. 20 tick TP 30 tick SL

3. 200 tick TP 300 tick SL

My guess is that scenario 1 will have a significantly different outcome to scenario 3. Just my gut feel.

BTW, dont forget to include bro in your calculations. They are the hidden killer.

The percent winners have to be higher than 50% for either of the 3 scenarios to be profitable. Keep in mind that in order to make 2 ticks, price has to move 3 ticks to guarantee an exit.To lose 3 ticks, it only has to go 3 ticks to guarantee a loss. At the end of the week,month, or year add up your commissions and you'll know who your partner is.

The percent winners have to be higher than 50% for either of the 3 scenarios to be profitable. Keep in mind that in order to make 2 ticks, price has to move 3 ticks to guarantee an exit.To lose 3 ticks, it only has to go 3 ticks to guarantee a loss. At the end of the week,month, or year add up your commissions and you'll know who your partner is.

I agree.

Its worth considering that with skills in reading the order book, placing exits before entry to get a better place in the queue etc (more relevant in a 2-3 scenario than the 200-300 scenario), there will be times in real life when you will get the 2 tick target without that level getting taken out and the 3rd printing.

For the purposes of real-life testing and viability I'd go with your wisdom.

For the purpose of exploring price distribution though and the 3 scenarios for a bit of holiday fun if anyone has the time or inclination, maybe it could be educational?....

I tried to attach a few hours of T&S data from my X Trader but the file is 3.34 MB - too much for the websites limit :(

If anyone can tell me how to do such a test in excel, (other than RTFM) and I'll see if I can come up with something useful - 1 days T&S is probably only useful for the first test, but I can down load 30min and daily data for the 2nd & 3rd.

Edited by TheDude

I agree.

Its worth considering that with skills in reading the order book, placing exits before entry to get a better place in the queue etc (more relevant in a 2-3 scenario than the 200-300 scenario), there will be times in real life when you will get the 2 tick target without that level getting taken out and the 3rd printing.

For the purposes of real-life testing and viability I'd go with your wisdom.

For the purpose of exploring price distribution though and the 3 scenarios for a bit of holiday fun if anyone has the time or inclination, maybe it could be educational?....

I tried to attach a few hours of T&S data from my X Trader but the file is 3.34 MB - too much for the websites limit :(

If anyone can tell me how to do such a test in excel, (other than RTFM) and I'll see if I can come up with something useful - 1 days T&S is probably only useful for the first test, but I can down load 30min and daily data for the 2nd & 3rd.

The only reason I got into this probability thing is because I heard professional poker players use it somehow. They dont have Tape or Dom but somehow they make money by using probabilty. I wanted to see if It could help me in trading.

It would be interesting to see your T&S data. I'm into the order flow stuff myself. You can try to upload it to a free file hosting site like filefactory.com or you can record a video with camtasia. Or if you want me to record a video I can too. I actually have some videos with T&S, just tell me what kind you want.

The only reason I got into this probability thing is because I heard professional poker players use it somehow. They dont have Tape or Dom but somehow they make money by using probabilty. I wanted to see if It could help me in trading.

It would be interesting to see your T&S data. I'm into the order flow stuff myself. You can try to upload it to a free file hosting site like filefactory.com or you can record a video with camtasia. Or if you want me to record a video I can too. I actually have some videos with T&S, just tell me what kind you want.

Poker is a whole different game. You can talk about probabilities because a deck of cards is subject to being normally distributed.

Thanks.

If you do have an inverse Risk-Reward mechanism, then it's imperative that you must have a really hign winning percantage trading strategy, greater than 82%. Normally, to achieve that result, the strategy aims for small to medium profits.

Otherwise, It's generally hard to achieve 'Positive Expectancy' results when aiming for large profit and aiming for high winning percentage at the same time due to inherent risk of losing all fund.