Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

shooly76

Is My Computer Slow?

if the bar timer is part of the charting program, then it should continue to run in the background.

if the bar timer is an indicator, then it will wait for the next tick.

Is that because the timer needs to be based off of the incoming timestamps?

Is that because the timer needs to be based off of the incoming timestamps?

not timestamp,

but in a event driven program, it "runs" on ticks.

visualize it this way...

there is a MACD indicator on the chart.

if the price value has not changed, will the MACD values change?

of course not, the MACD values will stay the same unless the price has changed.

(if we push it, we can say "if" the bar has incremented).

if there is no price change, there is no need to recalculate the MACD.

thus in an event-driven program, if there is no new ticks, no recalculations will be made.

ie. all the indicators will be sitting in idle... including the bar timer indicator.

ps.

if the bar timer is an indicator, it will be driven by the ticks.

if the bar timer is a feature of the charting program, it will not be affected, it will continue to run in the background whether there is a new tick or not.

Edited by Tams

Hmm. Interesting. So that being the case, it's likely to be the ISP, (the cable to the property), the router, the medium between the router and pc, the network adapter, the OS or NT7 itself.

If at all possible then the next step would be to try a clean install on an alternative PC. If it works, then at least you can rule out the first four possibles. Incidentally, I don't think shooly has responded to any of this yet!

Aida64 possibly. From Lavalys who did Everest. Probably doesn't mean a whole heap to you so just download it and take a look.

aida64

Thanks Neg ..but if you feel that it is unsuited to me then it probably will be ... I am a simple man

It may not be too slow, the other contribuors are correct. It needs to be dedicated, hard wired, and serviced for maintainance every night. Ex. - My amd 845 quad with 12 megs of mem takes 30 min to defrag, after a cleanup with system mechanic. Also I go longer between stops on downlaod of data streams if I don't use wireless mouses or keyboards.

Bigger is better, but nothing counts unless you keep a clean machine.

Back in the days of DOS computers were relatively easy to take care of. About the biggest thing you had to worry about was a hard disk crash or perhaps corruption of the File Allocation Table or FAT. Yes, disks got fragmented, but then back in the early days disks were small. For years (from about 1985 to 1991) I had a 20 megabyte, that's megabyte, hard disk. Then Windows became more prevalent, computers started to evolve and everything got faster. Computers got smaller, hard disks got bigger and overall everything got cheaper.

Even today, however, a computer is a substantial investment and you want to take care of that investment. With just a little care you can make a computer last a long time. It's easy to do and doesn't take much time or effort. And, in the long run, if you take care of your computer you'll be able to enjoy it more. So, lets take a look at some things you can do to keep your computer happy, healthy and running smoothly.

Defragment

There's no complex explanation needed - hard disks get fragmented! The process of installing and uninstalling software guarantees it. In the near future there'll be a "Tell Me About..." article on hard disk fragmentation, but for now just know that your hard disk is destined to get fragmented. Fragmentation concerns the way files, from programs and data, are laid down on the hard disk. It isn't like your hard disk becomes physically fragmented, but if the disk becomes too fragmented it may seem like your disk is cracked.

When you hard disk becomes fragmented it makes the hard disk work harder. That makes your computer seem slower. Sometimes it makes it seem a lot slower. Unlike some categories of software, the number of titles that handle disk fragmentation is relatively short. My personal choice is Diskeeper Professional by Executive Software. The link points to their server edition, but they also have Home and Professional versions. What I like about Diskeeper is that it has a feature to Set It And Forget It! On all my computers Diskeeper comes on every night around 10:00p.m. and it can run until 4:00 a.m. I like the program because it can run when I'm not working and perhaps more importantly, I know the defragmenting gets done. It can't be forgotten when I get really busy.So, no matter how you do it, keep your hard disk defragmented. It will make your computer run faster and smoother. It will also make your hard disk last longer.

Virus Protection

There are lots of computer viruses out there in circulation. There are also worms, trojans, and bombs. For our purposes here I'm going to lump all these things under the term "viruses." One of the fastest ways to destroy your computer is to not protect it against virus infections. While some viruses are primarily just an annoyance, many can be very destructive. They can ruin your files and data, and even trash your hard disk. To keep your computer in the best of health it only makes sense to have anti-virus software running and to keep it UPDATED! It does no good to have anti-virus software if you don't keep it updated. It's like having a life insurance policy and not paying on it. There are a number of anti-virus programs you can check out, including:

Norton AntiVirus

F-Prot Antivirus

Vexira Antivirus for Windows

McAfee VirusScan

Spyware Protection

Spyware and Adware have been big topics recently. People are concerned about their privacy and rightly so! Both spyware and adware can work to slow down your computer and they can cause lots of other problems as well. To find out more about "Adware" check out this article entitled, What Is Adware? You can also find out more about spyware in another article, entitled What Is Spyware?. The key thing is that you protect yourself and your computer by running software that will eliminate these threats.Just a few of the available programs include:

Spyware Doctor

Webroot SpySweeper

GhostSurf

Registry Cleaning and Repair

The Windows Registry contains the sum of everything that is on your computer. Unfortunately, it also often contains a bunch of things thatused to be on your computer that weren't properly removed. This junk and clutter enlarges the size of the Registry and makes it less efficient. Kind of like a fragmented hard disk. So, to keep your computer running at its top performance, I'd suggest using a program to clean up the Registry. Just a few of the programs available include:

Registry Mechanic

Registry First Aid

Windows RegistryRepair SE

Registry Repair

Combination Programs

There are several excellent programs that can perform multiple functions and help to keep your computer running smoothly. The programs can clean the Registry, remove junk files, alter the way Windows looks and acts,and lots more. A few of my favorites include:

TuneUp Utilities

Advanced System Optimizer

System Mechanic

Hmm. Interesting. So that being the case, it's likely to be the ISP, (the cable to the property), the router, the medium between the router and pc, the network adapter, the OS or NT7 itself.

If at all possible then the next step would be to try a clean install on an alternative PC. If it works, then at least you can rule out the first four possibles. Incidentally, I don't think shooly has responded to any of this yet!

that depends on what the OP is trading...

if he is trading ES... then there is a big problem somewhere.

if he is trading a far month sugar... mmm, may not be a problem at all.

I use NT7...5,10, and 3 min charts...I have an ASUS laptop w an intel dual core processor 2.20 ghz processor and 3 gigs of RAM

whenever I am in a trade I use a bar timer, and after the timer hits zero, it always takes like 10-60 seconds for the timer to start counting down again. is this lag due to my slow laptop?

I am looking at laptop w an i5 processor w 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM...will I still have this lag problem w new, faster machine?

Your current laptop with the dual core and lack of RAM is definitely an issue. That laptop may be fine for surfing but it wasn't designed to handle the real time data flow of todays markets...If you can afford it, move up to an i7 laptop...especially the i7-2630QM....Lenovo makes one and Eddie Z at EZ Trading Computers upgrades it with 8 GB of RAM and a Solid State hard drive...you don't necessarily need to have it upgraded but Eddie knows how to make them lightning fast. Like putting a supercharger on a car!