Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Nick1984

Asia/Pacific traders...How do you cope with the time difference?

First post on these forums! Long time reader first time poster hehe.

Anyhow, it seems like most ppl on these forums trade the US markets.

For those of you who live in the Asia/Pacific region (Australia included) how do you guys cope with the time difference?

Why not trade the Asian markets instead?

P.S: On a little brown nosing note, great site, heaps of usefull info, and great community here. Glad to be a part of it!

At one point in my trading career I was trading the Nikkei listed on SGX, Nick Leeson got my inspired to trade the market that brought down Barings Bank after seeing a movie made about it "Rouge Trader"

Not to mention I was scared of the US markets because of some huge losses I took, but that is a different discussion all together.

For one thing, the US market is the only market that I am aware of that has market internals to show the health of the stock market. I also believe the Korea Stock Exchange has market internals as well, but I do not know of any data vendor that supplies that data.

There is more liquidity in the US markets compared to other financial markets in the world.

Yea its the depth that you can find in the US markets that makes them so attractive.

If the SFE had the depth that the US markets had, i'd have no trouble or doubts trading it. By when you get over 100K + contracts per day on the CBE E-mini's you can't really compare.

I feel like I understand our All Ordinaries index very well but unti we can get the depth in the Aussie markets, it still feels to prohibitive :(

I feel like I understand our All Ordinaries index very well but unti we can get the depth in the Aussie markets, it still feels to prohibitive :(

What I suggest you understand in trader psychology and market psychology, it applies to all markets in the world.

I just took a look at an SPI200 chart, its got some nice flow to it on a 5 minute chart, whats the spread like for that contract?

What I suggest you understand in trader psychology and market psychology, it applies to all markets in the world.

heheh sorry should of expressed that a bit better. I mean't that as in I feel comfortable with the All Ords here in Aus. Its true that the psychology of the markets is universal, but i think that most people would feel comfortable in their own domestic markets if they weren't limited by lack of depth/liquidity.

I think certain wool futures contracts only have a cpl hundred contracts traded a day!

My first encounter with trading was during my time in Boston. I studied the US markets initially and focused strictly on it. By the time I came back to Tokyo, I was completely absorbed with the US markets.

Trading the US markets is a complete turn around for me.. I trade from 11:30pm night time and finish around 6:00am. A complete night trader. At first I felt extremely unhealthy... but after a few years Im pretty used to it now. I would move to the US if I could in a heartbeat.

Guest graeme
Yea its the depth that you can find in the US markets that makes them so attractive.

If the SFE had the depth that the US markets had, i'd have no trouble or doubts trading it. By when you get over 100K + contracts per day on the CBE E-mini's you can't really compare.

If you want to do some serious size, there is always the nikkei or kospi. You can still daytrade the SPI, but if you want to dump 20-30 lots on the market in 1 hit, you are obviously going to have some problems with slippage. Otherwise it's been a great contract to trade.

Obviously it's going to be a case of personal preference for each person, but there are more than enough opportunities for the retail trader in Asia to do quite well without having to be awake at 3am. Personally, I like my sleep too much!

hey, soul i would love to switch place with you. i feel more energy and focus at night. and i have to snap my faces in order to wake up 630 in the morning. :p

PS: couldn't trade since last week due to the borke internet cable.

hi nsitt, do you trade forex? it's about as even as anywhere else I believe. You see what everyone else sees

nah not forex. I don't know why but something about it scares me :o

At the moment I do stocks and am looking to move into futures. That leverage effect is calling to me hehe.

Given the responses to this thread as well as reading several others, seems that lifestyle plays a HUGE part in most ppl's trading. Kudos to Soul for keeping up that gruelling schedule!