Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

DhannyDoel

Is Trading Shares the Same As Gambling?

obviously its not exactly the same, but buying and selling shares at risk may be gambling which has religious repurcussions. anybody know?

One could argue that religion is a gamble...

Edited by Cory2679

obviously its not exactly the same, but buying and selling shares at risk may be gambling which has religious repurcussions. anybody know?

My personal opinion is that gambling implies lack of strategy and taking "chances" based on emotions.

Well, it doesn't say a single thing bout gambling being a sin in the bible. I'm not that religious, so I think taking much of the bible literally, is a bit silly, other than like don't kill/steal/rape, etc.

I will say that in my profession I took some theology classes, so I hope you do take this into a little consideration.

Anyway, like I said, gambling is not specifically stated as a sin, however, you need to look at two things: Work is considered "good." There are several references to this, specifically a deadly sin: sloth. Which is being lazy. Gambling in it's purist form is an attempt to not have to work for your money, but if this is your job, how could you be avoiding work by doing it? Secondly, the "golden rule" Do to others as you would have them do to you. Okay, in this situation you have responsibilities that need to be fulfilled such as putting food on the table for your family. If you are loosing money at the expense of your family, that could be another way that it's a sin.

Taking risks is not a sin, I'm sure Jesus had to buy hammers in order to be a carpenter, right? Just like you have to buy stocks, or whatever you trade, in order to be in the business of buying and selling securities (how the IRS views your self-employment).

Simple recap: If you're doing it as a job, or an honest thought out investment, no. If you're doing it in an attempt to "get rich quick," yes.

Hello everyone,

Any attempt to trade without analysis and studying the market is equal to a game. Games are fun except when you lose real money... Allow at least 2 months for demo trading. It gives the bigger picture of market price movements and thus helps to clearly define the trend.Given below tips for forex formula.

1-Create a solid trading plan.

2-Stick to it.

3-Keep an eye on your trades.

4-Stay focused

Anything that is based on a random outcome is gambling... many people do not think Poker is gambling because skill is involved in the outcome.

Systematic trading is hedging, just like any other business that buys and sells a product within certain time frames for a profit.

IMO, anyone who is trading without a system is clueless and they ARE gambling.