Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I have never posted here. I have only read back to page 663 or so. I want to learn more about the Volume profile and how to interpret it... the negotiator's charts are helpful, thx.

I had a couple of questions,

Negotiator, are the colored horizontal histograms the volume at price (volume profile)?

do you use MP at all?

What are the price bars you are using in the shorter-term charts? are they based on seconds or are they based on price ranges (like 1 pt).

thx

I have never posted here. I have only read back to page 663 or so. I want to learn more about the Volume profile and how to interpret it... the negotiator's charts are helpful, thx.

I had a couple of questions,

Negotiator, are the colored horizontal histograms the volume at price (volume profile)?

do you use MP at all?

What are the price bars you are using in the shorter-term charts? are they based on seconds or are they based on price ranges (like 1 pt).

thx

Hi vertigo. Good to see you get involved! The horizontal histograms are indeed the volume profiles. The short term profiles (left chart when I post 2 together) are regular trading hours (RTH) profiles. i.e. 09:30-16:15 ET. The longer term profiles (right chart) are still based on RTH but combine data. So the biggest profile is all the data from the beginning of the chart (which I specify) and then there are various balances which I look to capture too.

I don't use MP in general although I do have it up as I feel it highlights "singles" well and the market responds well to them. Also, if there's a decent disparity between the volume generated and market profile (TPO) generated point of control ((V)POC) I like to look at why that is. Time does count :):2c:

The shorter term chart I often use volume based candles to gauge activity although you could use a sub 1 minute time based chart too. Actually this might be better if you're new at all as I watch the market so see the pace as it trades.

Hope that helps to start with!

I remember days like this.

I use to be the guy just waiting to go long at the first pivot point or whatever support i thought was coming. Counter-trend trading.

I didn't take any trade today, just observed the price action, after I missed a good short at 1409 on a retrace after job numbers came out. Just did some reading and watched.

When price got to 1402 (a support I had marked off), I remember the old me just going long.

It got a bit complicated for a about 1 hour or so after 1402 approached and retraced up to 1406, i nearly went long on a retrace back to 1404, but I said nope, let the trend upwward confirm first, then you get on board.

I still have alot to learn. :)

I still have alot to learn. :)

FYI, IMO It's not about calling perfect trades and staying in for the perfect target. It's about taking a probability and holding onto your winners and cutting your losers.

Any entry you made at 1402 today would have paid you nicely.

Cut the losers - hold the winners.... you will make $$

End of story

FYI, IMO It's not about calling perfect trades and staying in for the perfect target. It's about taking a probability and holding onto your winners and cutting your losers.

Any entry you made at 1402 today would have paid you nicely.

Cut the losers - hold the winners.... you will make $$

End of story

:) You are correct on that part. Some times the simpler things are overlooked!

wow... an active thread built around real market analysis here... cool guys!

I'm looking forward to getting involved here.. is it all the 4 E-mini's? (YM, ES, NQ, TF)?

I suppose I can go check out some posts to answer my own question here... looking forward to contributing in the coming sessions :)

Welcome.

I show targets below that I am anticipating. NQ 2740 area. ES 1392

Will patiently be stalking a short after the RTH opens up. Premarket trading continues to be very good. It is quickly becoming my preferred time to trade.

Less algos and crappola going on.

Overnight so far it seems we are looking to push lower and have shown little appetite for a move back up. We are approaching the lower end of the 8/7-8/15 range at 1392.00 (drawn in chart from 8/6-8/15) so buyers imho are going to need to 'turn up' soon or we might be heading for a test of 80.75 and possibly beyond. Who knows though, ach. :missy:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30787&stc=1&d=1345813809

2012-08-24.thumb.jpg.a841fb1cf36f8d7d86526d3cd9fcb1a5.jpg

In the ES I think 1400 might hold and provide something to lean on for the short. NQ a little less clear.

Yeah I was looking at that as a possibility. It's not only the century figure, but also yesterday's close and VPOC. We'll have to see.

short 1398, target 1392, stop 1400.25

reason: downward trend, and price action fail to break above 1398, LOD yesterday and over night lows. back to reading.

Once 1396 was tested and did not break. I decided I dont want to be stuck with this range.

So, breakeven on this

Edited by goodoboy

Had a great chance to re enter my NQ long at 2752 but passed on it due to my "down" bias. Actually should have just taken it with the tight stop I used before ... as the ES was giving very good indication of moving higher especially with the price action

Had a great chance to re enter my NQ long at 2752 but passed on it due to my "down" bias. Actually should have just taken it with the tight stop I used before ... as the ES was giving very good indication of moving higher especially with the price action

Putting the action into context, we currently have a 3.75pt IB in ES. Of course there's still time for that to extend a bit but the likelihood is that it won't do so massively. The open was an auction type. The levels above are 1400.00 putting the IB at 4.50pts then possibly 01.00 but more likely 02.50/03.00 putting the IB at 7/7.5pts. Will that happen? Maybe, but we're hardly moving right now so things would need to pick up. Of course it could fall back down with the next lower target being 93.50 and 92.00. That would be an IB of 5.75 or 7.25.

ES looks too choppy for me to enter short here. I am waiting for bigger rally. Lots of buying interest keeping me out. Flat all markets now.

Yes, all the fun was yesterday. Looks stuck in a range now.

Putting the action into context, we currently have a 3.75pt IB in ES. .

You;re right that there's not a large range but I tighten my stop and increase size during these periods to make the $$$ continue to flow. It's rare on the trades which work if I have much MAE (NQ maybe 3 -4 ticks, ES 1 or 2) so have a tight stop and see what works.

It's all about taking money out of the markets while providing liquidity and not trying for the big home run.

When the markets start running again - we'll have to use larger stops and smaller size.