Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Which products do you/do you intend to trade mainly?

• Agriculture
    • Energy
    • Equities
    • Equity Index
    • FX
    • Interest Rate
    • Metals
    • Other

hello folks. total noob here- you guys are all gurus in my eyes! still reading, absorbing information & trying to put together a system before paper trading (stocks) in a couple of months. i've decided to start my 16 y.o. son on the adventure with me. even though i've read more than him, he seems to understand the concepts better (it's funny how the kids run circles around me). we're focused right now on candlesticks, chart patterns and price/volume. so much to learn!

Hi Tim, and welcome!

Ditto The Negotiator's sentiments completely!

Not to go too far off topic here but, I just got my motorcycle endorsement in early Oct 2010.

4 days later I bought a new leftover 09 KAWI Ninja. 500cc. It's very forgiving, a good learner's bike. As a matter of fact, the temps here hit mid to upper 40s today. Just got back from 2 hours of twisties. What are you riding?

BOING!!!!! A light bulb just went off. Think I'll start a Hobbies Thread in the Lounge.

I'm sure a lot of us have a lot more in common than just trading.

That's awesome Mystic, I actually race mountain bikes (bikes without motors). Street bikes get me in too much trouble, haha. Heading out to AZ the week of March rollover actually to get some riding in before race season starts. Good idea on the hobbies section, I bet lots of us have more in common than we know.

Hi Guys,

Newbie here too. I'm just a college junior who's about to enter finance through an internship this coming summer. Looking to learn more about trading through this forum to better prepare myself for the real world.

Nice to meet you all.

Cheers

Nice to meet you! We have loads of great threads here and we try to add to our resources all the time. If you can't find anything on what you're looking for, just ask. We have some really great members who are knowledgeable and always will to help or at least point you in the right direction!

schwarzseeparadise and lightstar (and everyone else on the thread for that matter),

That is so great, starting young is so valuable. Regardless of whether or not you chose to continue down the road of trading long into the future. The lessons and skills you learn along the way are priceless and life changing in my opinion. Understanding how to manage risk, develop and implement a system, and essentially run a business is something that carry's over in all aspects of life.

I'm constantly hearing people from other disciplines like real estate, entrepreneurs, small business owners, and athletes talk about these very principles.

I can't remember the basketball player who said this, but he was talking in an interview about how his dream was to make it into the NBA (which he has now achieved) and this is what he said...

"The way I look at it is, I will give it my all, do everything I can do and give myself the best opportunity to make it, and if I do I will have learned the lessons of hard work, responsibility, perseverance, and determination (to name a few), if however I don't make it then I will know that I have given it my all and take away the lessons of hard work, responsibility, perseverance, and determination..."

Just like Napoleon Hill talks about in the book Think and Grow Rich, unleash your burning desire and follow your passion and if you are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it no matter how long it takes, you will.

Hello Everyone!

I am a total newbie, I do not know much about trading and I found this site to learn.

I am planning to become a trader, but I want to be sure first what I'm stepping into before diving into it. :missy:

Can you guys recommend me some links,books/ebooks,tutorials for a beginner like me.:;)

Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

I am a total newbie, I do not know much about trading and I found this site to learn.

I am planning to become a trader, but I want to be sure first what I'm stepping into before diving into it. :missy:

Can you guys recommend me some links,books/ebooks,tutorials for a beginner like me.:;)

Thank you!

Reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator is a great first step, I would also pick 2 or 3 stocks and begin to follow them each day. You may end up deciding to trade options, futures, currencies or bonds, but following a couple stocks for a solid month will really begin to build a good foundation for understanding how the market works.

Aside from that, journal and making notes about things you see in the markets will be very beneficial. The next book I'd look at would be Mastering the Trade by John Carter. Reading/or listening to these two books multiple times will be more beneficial than scouring the internet and other "how to trade books" imo.

Those three things can build a great foundation.

- Reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

- Following 2 or 3 stocks for a month and make notes

- Read/Listen to Mastering the Trade

There is also a great short audio series over at ShadowTrader.net by clicking Archives > Education. This is not THE way, just what got me started and to where I am today, consistently profitable month after month.

Thank you so much TimRacette!

I am currently downloading Reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, and day trading for dummies on the side. I am really a newbie, and I dont know anything about stocks, etc. You'll be one of my inspiration in starting this. Thanks a lot!

Hey everyone!

kinda new to day trading

im starting to day trade as a full time gig starting next month

so im trying to get as much info and help before i start doing so daily

Hello!

I'm new here too! I've asked some pros here, and here's some of their recommendations for newbies like us:

Reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator is a great first step, I would also pick 2 or 3 stocks and begin to follow them each day. You may end up deciding to trade options, futures, currencies or bonds, but following a couple stocks for a solid month will really begin to build a good foundation for understanding how the market works.

Aside from that, journal and making notes about things you see in the markets will be very beneficial. The next book I'd look at would be Mastering the Trade by John Carter. Reading/or listening to these two books multiple times will be more beneficial than scouring the internet and other "how to trade books" imo.

Those three things can build a great foundation.

- Reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

- Following 2 or 3 stocks for a month and make notes

- Read/Listen to Mastering the Trade

There is also a great short audio series over at ShadowTrader.net by clicking Archives > Education. This is not THE way, just what got me started and to where I am today, consistently profitable month after month.

hope this helps :)

Hello Traders!

I am very new to trading and I am trying to gather as much information about the Emini SP before I really get started. Does anyone know of any resources or websites they can direct me to to help me get going?

Thank you!

Hello Traders!

I am very new to trading and I am trying to gather as much information about the Emini SP before I really get started. Does anyone know of any resources or websites they can direct me to to help me get going?

Thank you!

There's some great resources over at EminiMind.com

Hi everyone, I haven't formerly introduced myself so here goes. I have been trading for the last 5 yrs, made my share of mistakes in the beginning and have been profitable now for the last 3 yrs (even through the recession) I trade mostly leveraged ETF's because of the massive liquidity and stability that they offer. I can't wait to jump in and possibly help some beginners not lose their shirts.

Hi chartwaves!

Welcome to TL! I'm sure your experience will be invaluble to other members and who knows, maybe you'll get some more insight to compliment the knowledge you have already!

See you in forums!

You need to be warned that day trading is not the safest thing for a beginner to start with, however there have been a SMALL NUMBER that have been successful. I truly hope the best for you with your new voyage. This forum has a world of knowledge, and generally the members are more than willing to give great advice and direction to anyone with a question.

OK, Just registered a bit ago. I am Don. Live in Central US. Just finished an FX class

and endeavoring to determine my strategies, get comfortable with my trading platform,

and write out some plans to see what fits best and seems to be successful. Think I want

to do FX futures;

Have had some past stock and option experience and like many others, without any

knowledge managed to totally deplete my account. Looking to do things right this time

and make some money.

Happy to be a member of TL. Sounds like a great bunch to communicate with and learn

from.

OK, Just registered a bit ago. I am Don. Live in Central US. Just finished an FX class

and endeavoring to determine my strategies, get comfortable with my trading platform,

and write out some plans to see what fits best and seems to be successful. Think I want

to do FX futures;

Have had some past stock and option experience and like many others, without any

knowledge managed to totally deplete my account. Looking to do things right this time

and make some money.

Happy to be a member of TL. Sounds like a great bunch to communicate with and learn

from.

Hi Don, Welcome!

Could you tell us more about the class you just finished?

Attended a weeks training at Online Trading Academy with a tremendous instructor.

He refreshed what I had forgotten I knew about trading, but taught us some great new

strategies, why we MUST have a plan and trade the plan, determine our own rules for

trading after we paper trade for a while. Showed us a good many patterns for possible

trades which included candlestick reversal signals.

Support and Resistance were hammered on quite heavily as well.

Just a great course. Oh, this was a FX course, but he used a great many stocks to

illustrate what he was saying.

Wish I had had this before I depleted my account when I was doing stocks before.

Most of what we learned would apply to stocks as well as FX.

Hope this describes it well.