Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Szymon

How Do I Get an Angle from an EMA? Multicharts Software

Hi All,

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I am looking for a function or script where I can measure the angle of a EMA on a chart. This is similar to the built-in function in Ensign.

Anyhelp will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

I have been looking into this can someone tell me if there is a ACOS function in Multicharts.

Here is the definition.

ACOS function

The ACOS function returns the arc cosine of a specified number.

The specified number is the cosine, in radians, of the angle that you want. The specified number must be a DOUBLE PRECISION number.

* If the specified number is NULL, the result of this function is NULL.

* If the absolute value of the specified number is greater than 1, an exception is returned that indicates that the value is out of range (SQL state 22003).

The returned value, in radians, is in the range of zero (0) to pi. The data type of the returned value is a DOUBLE PRECISION number.

Syntax

Regards

Simon

I don't use that software but I know where you're going with this. I've looked into it before. I didn't have full success with my experiment. Here's what I had to settle on: using the standard of deviation of the ema...which is all a bollinger band is. Different stddevs generally produce standard angles. Let me know how it goes.

This is the function that I am going to try out for my project. I think that is the closest I can get using the multicharts software.

TLAngle (Function)

Disclaimer

The TLAngle function returns the angle of a trendline.

Syntax

TLAngle(StartPrice, StartBar, EndPrice, EndBar)

Parameters

Name Type Description

StartPrice Numeric Sets the price of the trendline start point.

StartBar Numeric Sets the bar number of the trendline start point.

EndPrice Numeric Sets the price of the trendline end point.

EndBar Numeric Sets the bar number of the trendline end point.

Returns (Double0

A numeric value representing the angle of the specified trendline.

Remarks

To calculate the angle, the function requires that you specify the start and end bars for the trendline as well as the start

and end prices. The inputs StartPrice and EndPrice are the start price and end price, respectively, of the

trendline. They are usually replaced by values such as Close, High, Low, and so on, or are replaced with numeric

series type inputs.

Also, you must offset the Price by its corresponding bar number. For example, if you want the trendline angle for a

line drawn from the Close of ten bars ago to the Close of the current bar, replace the inputs StartPrice,

StartBar, EndPrice, and EndBar with the values Close[10], 10, Close[0], and 0 respectively.

The inputs StartBar and EndBar refer to the bar numbers of the starting and ending points of the trendline. These

inputs must be replaced by positive whole numbers or be replaced with numeric simple type inputs.

The formula used is a simple rise over run calculation to obtain the slope; the formula then takes the arctangent of that

slope. In fact, you can obtain the same value as the TLAngle function by taking the ArcTangent of the TLSlope

function.

Example

Plot1(TLAngle(High,1,High 9);

See Also

TLAngleEasy

Szymon,

this gives you the angle

Input: Price(Close), NumBars(1), MA_length(20); 
variable: MA(0), slope(0); 

MA = average(price, MA_length); 
slope = arctangent((MA - MA[NumBars])/NumBars); 

plot1(slope, "slope"); 
plot2(0,"Zero");

If you need the the degrees instead of the radians change 

slope = arctangent((MA - MA[NumBars])/NumBars); 

to  
slope = arctangent((MA - MA[NumBars])/NumBars)*180/3.141592654; 

HI Insideday,

Thanks for this function. I will try this later today to see if there is any difference between TLEasyAngle function which is builtin inside multicharts and your one.

Here is a description of this function.

---------------------------------------

TLAngleEasy (Function)

Disclaimer

The TLAngleEasy function returns the angle of a trendline with one price input.

Syntax

TLAngleEasy(Price, StartBar, EndBar)

Returns (Double)

A numeric value containing the angle of a trendline.

Parameters

Name Type Description

Price Numeric Specifies which bar value (price, function, or formula) to use.

StartBar Numeric Sets the bar number of the trendline start point.

EndBar Numeric Sets the bar number of the trendline end point.

Remarks

This function is similar to TLAngle, except that you cannot specify different prices for the start and end points. This

function uses the same price on the start and end bars.

The formula used is a simple rise over run calculation to obtain the slope; the formula then takes the cotangent of that

slope. In fact, you can obtain the same value as the TLAngleEasy function by taking the ArcTangent of the TLSlope

function.

Example

Plot1(TLAngleEasy(High,1,9);

----------------------------------------

Regards

Szymon

Insideday,

As I said my platform doesn't provide this function, but the formula I ended up with basically mimics yours. It's basically a pythagorean expression where the length of the adjacent angle is your "NumBars."

However, I found that an easier way to all of this is simply to look for bars outside of the bb (standards of deviation). The StDevs in essence create angles for you and a bar that exceeds the bb exceeds that angle. I hope that makes sense. Not to detract from those of you who are doing it this way.

Insideday,

As I said my platform doesn't provide this function, but the formula I ended up with basically mimics yours. It's basically a pythagorean expression where the length of the adjacent angle is your "NumBars."

However, I found that an easier way to all of this is simply to look for bars outside of the bb (standards of deviation). The StDevs in essence create angles for you and a bar that exceeds the bb exceeds that angle. I hope that makes sense. Not to detract from those of you who are doing it this way.

Hi Insideday,

Thanks for the formula and your help.

Tell me what platform are you currently using?

Szymon