Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

smuhr

Best Price Oscillator

all common oscillators are doomed to fail

unless the indicator can dynamically change its tempo to match the market's temperament.

Edited by Tams

never heard of it.

.....how much does it cost ?

Nothing for TL readers ;)

if type=1 then
a=8
b=5
c=3
d=3
endif
if type=2 then
a=13
b=8
c=5
d=5
endif
if type=3 then
a=21
b=13
c=8
d=8
endif
if type=4 then
a=34
b=21
c=13
d=13
endif

storsi=100*((rsi[a]-lowest[b](rsi[a]))/((highest[b](rsi[a]))-lowest[b](rsi[a])))

dtosck=average[c](storsi)
dtoscd=average[d](dtosck)

Seuilhaut=75
Seuilbas=25

RETURN dtosck AS "DTOSCK" , dtoscd AS "DTOSCD" , Seuilhaut , Seuilbas

I have watched Robert Miner workshop and the DTosc which is a mix between stochastic and RSI seems to be really good for multi time frame usage.

unless the indicator can dynamically change its tempo to match the market's temperament.

I disagree STRONGLY. :haha: The beta weighting of many stocks precludes ANY care whatsoever about what the general market is doing. Furthermore, cash infusion drives the best performers...and that is often fueled by emotions (not just fear--on the short side--but also greed--on the long side).

A price oscillator that is tied to market sentiment is only relevant for index-based securities and ETFs.

:2c:

EDIT:

Let me specify that I am an intraday trader. From that standpoint--or even from that of swing trading--the quote above is one of the most preposterous I have ever heard. Ever. I think that perspective would only be relevant at all for someone who is 100% pro-fundamental analysis and 100% against TA. I think Cramer falls into that category.

Edited by HI_THERE
Additional information.

I disagree STRONGLY. :haha: The beta weighting of many stocks precludes ANY care whatsoever about what the general market is doing. Furthermore, cash infusion drives the best performers...and that is often fueled by emotions (not just fear--on the short side--but also greed--on the long side).

A price oscillator that is tied to market sentiment is only relevant for index-based securities and ETFs.

:2c:

can you post a chart example ?

A chart of what? A cursory look at any of the markets--on any given day--will yield numerous stocks that outperform that market...even during this last week of extreme distribution. And guess what? A "price" oscillator would have reflected that change in "price."

and you'd have to agree that this thread has been a premiere example of intelligent analysis.

or not.

One of the few things I really hate about Traders Laboratory is that when you add a worthless post to a worthless thread ... you can't delete the sodding thing. Happy Wednesday everyone!

and you'd have to agree that this thread has been a premiere example of intelligent analysis.

or not.

One of the few things I really hate about Traders Laboratory is that when you add a worthless post to a worthless thread ... you can't delete the sodding thing. Happy Wednesday everyone!

:doh: Not sure if I understand that one. I don't think the thread itself is worthless. That demeans the original poster and he is merely trying to increase his knowledge. I, for one, understand how price oscillators are an important component for intraday trading, and I have the portfolio to prove it. :cool:

A chart of what? A cursory look at any of the markets--on any given day--will yield numerous stocks that outperform that market...even during this last week of extreme distribution. And guess what? A "price" oscillator would have reflected that change in "price."

So, your oscillator tells you at the end of the day that a stock outperformed the market for that day? Sounds very helpful... :roll eyes:

No, you misunderstand. One: no single indicator does everything. Two: The price oscillator is not for EOD analysis. However, during market hours it can definitely help you identify strong stocks, and then you look at further characteristics from there. The whole point of my original statement--as solidified--is that price oscillation of individual securities is not necessarily tied to the overall markets. ;)

No, you misunderstand. One: no single indicator does everything. Two: The price oscillator is not for EOD analysis. However, during market hours it can definitely help you identify strong stocks, and then you look at further characteristics from there. The whole point of my original statement--as solidified--is that price oscillation of individual securities is not necessarily tied to the overall markets. ;)

So, all you are saying that when the market goes down, that some stocks will still go up? That's your whole point ? That is kind of obvious and common sense, isn't it? I don't think anyone expect 100% of the stocks to follow the market every day, but this is commone sense that most follow the market, since they ARE the market and this is the path of least resistance.

I think I understand Kiwi's post now...

Null conversation. I agree. You two have made this thread undesireable. Good luck in trading. ps. I made 20% leveraged on Netlist a few minutes ago. And the DJ is down over 100 points. A price oscillator is one of the tools in my arsenal. Hope your day is as productive.

Edited by HI_THERE
add

Dare I mention this (at the risk of entering the fray) - I have been trying to get the code that was posted for the DTOsc (have been a fan of Miner's book for some time) - and cant seem to get it to run for TS. Sent a PM to Smuhr but havent heard anything back.

Am not exactly ELD savvy - but am getting error messages when I try to verify the code that was posted.

Thanks for the response in advance. (And yes - I used oscillators at points I believe the product may turn - which yes - is actually some fibonacci levels/alt price projections/external retracements - which I know some believe is voodoo, etc. But since we all skin the market in different ways - I figure its all good!)

Paul

DT OSc

input: RSILength(8),
   StochLength(5),
   KLength(3),
   DLength(3);

Vars: DToscK(0), DToscD(0);

value1 = FastKCustomEasy(RSI(C, RSILength),StochLength);
DToscK =  average(value1,KLength);
DToscD = average(DToscK,DLength);

plot1(DToscK,"%K" );
plot2(DToscD,"%D" );

DT OSc

input: RSILength(8),
   StochLength(5),
   KLength(3),
   DLength(3);

Vars: DToscK(0), DToscD(0);

value1 = FastKCustomEasy(RSI(C, RSILength),StochLength);
DToscK =  average(value1,KLength);
DToscD = average(DToscK,DLength);

plot1(DToscK,"%K" );
plot2(DToscD,"%D" );

Thanks, statsign. The code works great on TS charts... but it refuses to work on RadarScreen. Could fastkcustomeasy function be incompatible with RS?

Thanks, statsign. The code works great on TS charts... but it refuses to work on RadarScreen. Could fastkcustomeasy function be incompatible with RS?

I don't think so. I have no need for Radar so don't have it. I do know most problems are settings for loading data. Post in the TS support forum and get an answer right away - lots of Radar savvy users there.

I have used several oscillators. At some points all of them fail because they are bound within 0-100 parameters, even if a trend continues vigorously. In trending markets they all will fail. But that itself is a false premis to start with. One needs to combine price oscillator with a moving average to effectively check if a trend is developing, in which case one shifts from oscillator to trend.

So the question is what is a good, if not the best, combination of oscillator and moving average. In my experience, Williams %R extremes and a simple moving agerage of twenty-one bars itself going up or down.