Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

lonew0lf

Candlestick Coding

I have fairly simple question (at least i think it is for anyone who codes). I'd like the following indicator to plot the text of the type of candlestick rather than dots.

Below is from MC and this indicates doji. Looking to have the text display above/below the bar, thanks.

inputs: Percent( 5 ) ;

if C_Doji( Percent ) = 1 then

begin

Plot1( Close, "Doji" ) ;

Alert( "Doji" ) ;

end ;

I have fairly simple question (at least i think it is for anyone who codes). I'd like the following indicator to plot the text of the type of candlestick rather than dots.

Below is from MC and this indicates doji. Looking to have the text display above/below the bar, thanks.

begin

Plot1( Close, "Doji" ) ;

Alert( "Doji" ) ;

end ;

This is how its done in TS, it should work in MC too.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Input: My_TEXT ("Doji");

Input: Txt_below_bar (2);

Input: Long_Clr (magenta);

Input: Horizdown (3);

Input: Vertdown (2);

variables:Text_ID2(0),onetick(0);

onetick = minmove/pricescale;

begin

Text_ID2 = Text_New( Date, Time, low-Txt_below_bar*onetick, My_TEXT );

text_setcolor( Text_ID2,long_clr) ;

Text_SetStyle(Text_ID2, horizdown, vertdown);

end;

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep34,

thanks for the reply. This looks to be what i'm trying to accomplish; however, when I compile I get the below error, any thoughts?

"assignment is allowed only for variables or array elements"

Input: Txt_below_bar (2);

Input: Long_Clr (magenta);

if C_Doji( Percent ) = 1 then begin

end;

Sep34,

thanks for the reply. This looks to be what i'm trying to accomplish; however, when I compile I get the below error, any thoughts?

"assignment is allowed only for variables or array elements"

In the post from sep34, replace this line:

variables:Text_ID2(0),one tick(0);

with this one:

variables:Text_ID2(0),onetick(0);

When copy and pasting code, it should be encapsulated with code tags (the # sign in the menu do that), otherwise formatting gets lost.

Sep34 & Sevensa:

Many thanks, it now works the way I had hoped.

In applying these variables (and learning easy language/power language), is it possible to use the same inputs for other candlestick patters, for example bullish/bearish engulfing, etc... or are the parameters for the doji unique?

TradeStation EasyLanguage Code these functions might help. I am sure you can find more on the interwebz.

Candlestick detection is an ideal starter project to learn some easy language as it simply compares O,H,L & C's. Whether it is useful to trade with these patterns rather than reading the sentiment behind them depends on your objectives I guess.

Edit: Its up to you what are suitable parameters for the indicators. I might require that a hanging man has 3 times the wick to the body tou might want 2.5. Easy language will simply detect what you tell it to.

Sep34 & Sevensa:

Many thanks, it now works the way I had hoped.

In applying these variables (and learning easy language/power language), is it possible to use the same inputs for other candlestick patters, for example bullish/bearish engulfing, etc... or are the parameters for the doji unique?

Lonewolf,

If I understand you correctly then yes,

you can use the same code above and below the code for the doji, in concert with another code that describes another candle pattern and just name them engulfing or what ever via an input. In the past I have coded apprx 30+ candle patterns and use the same text code and inputs (inputs/variables related to plotting the text)that I posted above.

By the way,...Im sure you are already aware of this, just in case, the definitions for candlesstick pattern in TS Indicator Library or most books e.g. Nison are very....hmm how to say this....lets just say that they are very humble and thats being kind, an introduction at most.

Candlestick detection is an ideal starter project to learn some easy language as it simply compares O,H,L & C's.

Agree, infact thats how I learned what little EL I know, however I have several CandleStick patterns that fill up two pages of code, on the other hand, If I knew how to use loops at the time of coding it would have reduce the length of the could to somthing much smaller.

Hey Sevensa, Confused and on ET? No. Well I do like to entertain. I do know all about candlestick formations like tweezer bottom and tops. evening stars and morning. What I dont understand is what they mean by codes and =1 and all that.

The way I would do it if I was starting from scratch is define a bunch of booleans at the start, for example OpenEqualsClose LongTail CloseHigh HighTailTwiceBody etc etc you get the idea

I would then have a case statement with the appropriate combination of the booleans so for example OpenNearClose and CloseHigh and LowTailTwiceBody .......then do hammer code or set hammer boolean for later printing.

Makes things very easy extensible.

begin

Plot1( Close, "Doji" ) ;

Alert( "Doji" ) ;

end ;

like this?

10134d1239553486-candle-pattern-candles.gif

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f46/candle-pattern-5736.html

Sep34,

I was able to add the text for the remainder of the candlestick indicators but now curious how I would go about painting the bar a different colour so its easier to view. Below is the code you and sevensa helped with:

Input: Txt_below_bar (15);

Input: Long_Clr (white);

inputs: Percent (5);

variables: Text_ID2(0),

onetick(0);

end;

Sep34,

I was able to add the text for the remainder of the candlestick indicators but now curious how I would go about painting the bar a different colour so its easier to view. Below is the code you and sevensa helped with:

Input: Txt_below_bar (15);

Input: Long_Clr (white);

variables: Text_ID2(0),

onetick(0);

end;

Lonwolf,

Usually if you want to paint the bar it self then a Paintbar study/format is used.

You can take a look at existing paintbar studies to get an idea.

That said... you can use, for example, a showme to place a market on the bar it self...You would just need to specify which part of the bar to place the marker.

Below is a your doji code in paintabr study....I bracketed the codes related to the text plots because you dont need it for the paint bar.

//Input: My_TEXT ("Doji"); 
//Input: Txt_below_bar (15); 
//Input: Long_Clr (white); 
//Input: Horizdown (3); 
//Input: Vertdown (2); 

//variables: Text_ID2(0),onetick(0);

//onetick = minmove/pricescale; 

{Text_ID2 = Text_New( Date, Time, low-Txt_below_bar*onetick, My_TEXT );