Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

PeterBrazel

MA Slope

I am trying to either get hold of code or code myself an MA indicator that changes color depending on the slope of the MA. Say maybe blue for up trending red for downtrending and yellow for flat. I have adjusted the code of an MA to give two colors depending on the plot being > or < than the prior but I am a little stumped on working out exactly how I could achieve the slope measurement that I require.

I have had a bit of a look around and cannot locate where this has been done before. I would have thought someone would have posted one somewhere as the codies out there are very good at this sort of stuff, unlike me. But step by step I guess.

Any ideas?

[LegacyColorValue = false];

{*************************Peter's MA Slope Indicator*********************************

This indicator seeks to plot color changes on an MA indicator according to the slope

of an MA.

*************************************************************************************}

inputs:

Price( Close ),

Length( 9 ),

Displace( 0 ),

colourDeltaBar(1),

UpColor(blue),

DnColor(red),

NColor(yellow);

variables:

var0( 0 ) ;

Value1 = AverageFC( Price, Length ) ;

Plot1(Value1, "MA Neutral");

{***********Color change criteria*************** }

if (Value1 > Value1[2]) then

SetPlotColor[colourDeltaBar](1, upColor)

else if (Value1 < Value1[2]) then

SetPlotColor[colourDeltaBar](1, dnColor);

if Displace <= 0 then

begin

condition1 = Price crosses over var0 ;

if condition1 then

Alert( "Price crossing over average" )

else

begin

condition1 = Price crosses under var0 ;

if condition1 then

Alert( "Price crossing under average" ) ;

end ;

end;

The above code is a work in progress and currently changes color ONLY dependent on the MA being either > or < the prior close. I would like to change this to make it dependent on the slope of the MA [input].

how would you like to define the slope?

how do you perceive the color change?

can you post a mock up?

Edited by Tams

An upward sloping MA indicates an uptrend condition.

A downward sloping MA indicates a downtrend condition.

A flat MA indicates an area of congestion.

I think the condition that changes the color would have to be one of percentages, that is unless an angle can be defined.

Having trouble with attachment. Will include in seperate post.

Thanks

You don't have to re-invent the wheel. This was done a few years ago and I think you'll find it on the old woodiescciclub.com site or their forum. It allowed you to choose over what number of bars you want to define the angle and the degrees of the angle for alerts etc was also chooseable (if there is such a word).

Tams,

Good grief man...are you a maths guru. I will have to digest this. I am sure you understand what I am trying to do here.

Unfortunately I cannot log onto TS at the moment as I keep getting a Com file not initialized at the log in prompt so I cannot show you on a chart what I want to happen. I also cannot access anything from the TS forum. I can log on but as soon as I do a search it throws me back out to the support page. Not sure what the hell is going on there.

I think if I can just program a variable for the color change and then just adjust that variable until I get the visual I desire that should do the trick although maybe it is not that simple.

Seems as though I will not have access to me charting until I can contact TS support.

This is grade 12 mathematics.

No, it does not have to be complicated.

and NO, I do not know what you are trying to do here. I cannot read your mind.

That's why it is important to post a mock up.

Tams,

No offence intended on my part. My education did not extend to year twelve so my knowledge of mathematics is admittedly quite limited. I certainly appreciate your help.

Sorry I cannot post a mock up at this point in time as I am unable to access my charts because of a TS login issue. I will do so as soon as I can.

In the meantime I am just trying to achieve an indicator that changes color based on its slope and that the extent of the slope that initiates the color change is triggered by a user input variable such as a percent increase or decrease.

Thanks.

Tams,

I also cannot access anything from the TS forum. I can log on but as soon as I do a search it throws me back out to the support page. Not sure what the hell is going on there.

Peter, are you using Firefox or another browser other than Internet Explorer? I use Firefox but I found IE worked for the search. Hope it helps.

I was trying to do something similar like:

Gradient[0]=d[0]/x

Gradient[1]=d[1]/x

where d[0] = close difference between the current bar and the previous bar.

where d[1] = close difference between the previous bar and two bars ago.

x is time so is always a constant.

So if time is a constant then all that matters is to compare d[0] and d[1].

If the MA is going up : MA>MA[1]

If d[0]>d[1] then MA is rising faster. If d[0]<d[1] then MA is rising slower.

If the MA is going down: MA<MA[-1]

If d[0]<d[1] then MA is falling faster. If d[0]>d[1] then MA is falling slower.

Now, in order for it to change color based on gradient of the slope then I thought to use GradientColor. You can define the minimum value as zero.The only problem is how do you define the MAXIMUM difference of the MA? Will it be 2 points? Will it be 200 points? It depends on the symbol price, compare Google with EURUSD. So you could write:

diff=MA-MA[1]  //difference ie. d[0] above

If MA > MA[1] then    //uptrend
MAColor=GradientColor(diff,0,xxxxxxx,Blue, Green);  //where green is steep gradient. It will turn back to blue as the MA slows down.

If BB_Macd < BB_Macd[1] then   //downtrend
MAColor=GradientColor(diff,-xxxxxxx,0,Magenta, Red);  //where magenta is steep gradient. It will turn back to red as the MA slows down.
SetPlotColor(1,MAColor);

The problem is how do you define xxxxxxx or the maximum difference?? I thought of using a ratio between d[0] and d[1] and using that but at that point my head was full and decided to put it on the backburner for now.

Any comments?

...Sorry I cannot post a mock up at this point in time as I am unable to access my charts because of a TS login issue. I will do so as soon as I can...

You don't need TradeStation to make a mock up.

Just use the Window's built-in Paint program;

You can whip up something quite quickly.

Attached is a mock up but is very basic.

I was travelling all day yesterday.

Thanks for the help logging into TS Forum that is fixed workiong on TS fix.

I will check out the code above to see what I can achieve with it as soon as I get TS working.

Thank you everybody thus far with assistance.

Untitled.jpg.10c20d31e90c2780e13ce3049f06e595.jpg

Attached is a mock up but is very basic.

I was travelling all day yesterday.

Thanks for the help logging into TS Forum that is fixed workiong on TS fix.

I will check out the code above to see what I can achieve with it as soon as I get TS working.

Thank you everybody thus far with assistance.

Isn't this what your code (post#3) is doing ?

Can you explain the difference?

Edited by Tams

No my initial code changes color only from blue to red depending on the value of the prior plot in relation to the current plot.

The outcome of what I want to achieve is very very basic.

If the indicator is sloping up and price is above it then it should plot blue [upcolor]. If it is sloping down and price is below it it should plot red [dncolor].

If the indicator is flat and or prices are closing either side of it and or on it then plot the indicator yellow [ncolor].

Thanks,

No my initial code changes color only from blue to red depending on the value of the prior plot in relation to the current plot.

The outcome of what I want to achieve is very very basic.

If the indicator is sloping up and price is above it then it should plot blue [upcolor]. If it is sloping down and price is below it it should plot red [dncolor].

If the indicator is flat and or prices are closing either side of it and or on it then plot the indicator yellow [ncolor].

Thanks,

Finally... a good description of what you want !

now re-write that in the following manner:

-- write out one thought at a time,

-- write out ONE action at a time,

-- break down complex actions into multiple small actions,

-- write out one action per sentence,

-- write out one sentence per line...

you should have your indicator in pseudo code by the end of this exercise !

Edited by Tams