Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Mickey Caine

Gravestone Doji

Hi

Does anyone out there know the Tradestation Easy Language code for a Gravestone Doji? Or where I could get it? Am looking for an alert to sound when one appears on a chart.

I know Tradestation has a show me indicator for Doji's. but was just wanting the Gravestone.

Thanks

MC

Hi Tams

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The Gravestone is a bar where the open, low and close are all at the same price. Ideally I would like it to find that bar when the high of the gravestone is higher than a previous x number of bars. Meaning the gravestone is at the top of a move.

When the gravestone occurs, I would like either a dot or preferably a down arrow printed just above the candle. Also I would like the option to have an audio alert attached.

Is all this possible?

Thanks

MC

Hi Tams

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The Gravestone is a bar where the open, low and close are all at the same price.

is it possible?

sure it is possible...

if you can imagine it, you can do it.

if you can articulate your logic on paper, it can be coded.

if you can write out your thoughts one action, one line at a time,

even a non-programmer can program in EasyLanguage.

here's a little help to get you started:

var:

gravestone(false);

gravestone = (open = low) and (open = close);

Thanks. I will give it a go here.

var:

gravestone(false);

Also

Gravestone = If high > Highest (High, Length )[1] then

Plot ( down arrow)

Alert;

End;

Am I along the right lines? Copied highest high bit from breakout of X bar high indicator.

Go easy on me. Have never even looked at this code stuff before.

Thanks. I will give it a go here.

var:

gravestone(false);

Also

Gravestone = If high > Highest (High, Length )[1] then

Plot ( down arrow)

Alert;

End;

Am I along the right lines? Copied highest high bit from breakout of X bar high indicator.

write out your logic in English first...

one thought at a time,

one action at a time,

one action per thought,

one thought per line,

one line per sentence...

eg.

if XXX > YYY, then

do ZZZ...

etc.,

Go easy on me. Have never even looked at this code stuff before.

no worries, EasyLanguage is nothing more than structured English (the computer way).

sit back, relax, take this as a step by step free EasyLanguage lesson.

var:

gravestone(false);

this line creates a variable called gravestone.

Variables

Variables are a programming tool that allow you to store values and refer to those values when needed.

Each variable has a unique name that can be referenced in an analysis technique when needed.

Variables can be:

numeric values, or

true/false comparisons, or

text strings.

Variables allow you to organize and annotate your code with descriptive names that describe the nature of the calculation or purpose of the data. Variables hold their value from bar to bar until changed.

There are several benefits to storing values in variables: they can reduce typographical errors, complex state-

ments can be referred to by a simple name, readability and understanding are improved, and they are processing

and memory efficient.

Variables names, like inputs, are unique to the study they are declared in. You can use the same name over

again in any other study, but you cannot reuse the same name within the same study, for example declaring

a variable with the same name as an input. Also, remember to avoid naming variables with the same name as

an EL reserved word or function.

User-named variables must be declared before they can be used. The Variables reserved word is used to

declare variables, and it has four forms: Variables, Variable, Vars, Var. Each is functionally

equivalent and each must be followed by a colon ( : ), then a list of variable names separated by commas.

Each declared variable must be given an initial value. Variables are generally initialized to 0, but can be

initialized to any useful value. This initialized value determines the data type of the variable (numeric, true/

false, or text string).

Usage Example:

Variables:

LastHigh(0), { creates a numeric variable }

NewHigh(false),{ creates a true/false variable }

HighAlert(""); { creates a text variable }

source: EasyLanguage manual

Ok. Trying to run before I can crawl!!

Here goes again. In English.

and

high > than previous 5 bar highs

If both conditions met.

Then plot a down arrow

Down arrow to plot above gravestone

Alert

When down arrow plotted

Any better??

in this code, I have assigned a "value" to gravestone.

i.e.

gravestone MEANS (open = low) and (open = close);

in another words,

when I say gravestone, I really mean:

(open = low) and (open = close);

when someone say he can see a gravestone, he really means:

he can see a (open = low) and (open = close);

but wait a minute... didn't I jsut created the variable gravestone and assigned it a (false) value?

Yes, I initialized the value to false.

The computer will evaluate the condition at every bar and see if the condition is met...

if the condition is met, then gravestone will become "TRUE".

so far so good?

Ok. Trying to run before I can crawl!!

Here goes again. In English.

and

If both conditions met.

Then plot a down arrow

Down arrow to plot above gravestone

Alert

When down arrow plotted

Any better??

yes, you have got it...

Let me edit it a bit.

We are still at the pseudo-code stage.

Here you can see the English writing is starting to take on the structure of a computer code.

// state the condition

// the evaluation:

if gravestone is true

and

// the operation:

then

do this:

-- plot a down arrow

Piece of cake !

Edited by Tams

Thanks Tams. your help is much appreciated.

I cut and pasted your code into a new easy language show me file. It did not like the word gravestone. i stuck a VAR: in front of it but that seemed to cause more problems. I also deleted the words "down arrow". Was that right?

PS. I did leave school back in the seventies, hence my ignorance re computer programming.:)

Thanks Tams. your help is much appreciated.

I cut and pasted your code into a new easy language show me file. It did not like the word gravestone. i stuck a VAR: in front of it but that seemed to cause more problems. I also deleted the words "down arrow". Was that right?

PS. I did leave school back in the seventies, hence my ignorance re computer programming.:)

sorry... we are still at the pseudo-code stage...

;-)

arh... I shouldn't have colored it blue.

sorry for the confusion.

I will go back and change it to another color.

Tams.

Found a post you did re arrows. Have inserted the text you used. How does it look??

// state the condition

// the evaluation:

if gravestone is true

and

// the operation:

then

do this:

-- plot Arw.point.Down

Arw. size (18);

Tams.

Found a post you did re arrows. Have inserted the text you used. How does it look??

// state the condition

// the evaluation:

if gravestone is true

and

// the operation:

then

do this:

-- plot Arw.point.Down

Arw. size (18);

arrow is more advanced stuff... let's tackle one challenge at a time.

homework for the weekend:

look up the following keywords:

plot

setplotcolor

Enjoy!

p.s. arrow is only available for MultiCharts.

Edited by Tams

var:

gravestone(false);

gravestone = (open = low) and (open = close) and (High > Previous 5 bars) ;

If Gravestone = True

then begin

Plot (Close, "Gravestone" ) ;

SetPlotColor (Red) ;

Alert ( "Gravestone" ) ;

end ;

Any better Tams (Yoda) ??

Thanks

MC

var:

gravestone(false);

gravestone = (open = low) and (open = close) and (High > Previous 5 bars) ;

If Gravestone = True

then begin

Plot (Close, "Gravestone" ) ;

SetPlotColor (Red) ;

Alert ( "Gravestone" ) ;

end ;

Any better Tams (Yoda) ??

Thanks

MC

YES !!! YES !!! YES !!!

this is great!

This is 100% EasyLanguage logic !

All we have to do is go to the EasyLanguage dictionary/manual

and find out the syntax of the keywords.

var:

gravestone(false);

gravestone = (open = low) and (open = close) and (High > last 5 bars ago ) [1] ;

If Gravestone = True

then begin

Plot1 ( Close, "Gravestone" ) ;

SetPlotColor (Red) ;

Alert ( "Gravestone" ) ;

end ;

It now verifys upto 5. Does not like it. Would I need to put in some sort of Inputs field re the no of bars back??

var:

gravestone(false);

gravestone = (open = low) and (open = close) and (High > last 5 bars ago ) [1] ;

If Gravestone = True

then begin

Plot1 ( Close, "Gravestone" ) ;

SetPlotColor (Red) ;

Alert ( "Gravestone" ) ;

end ;

It now verifys upto 5. Does not like it. Would I need to put in some sort of Inputs field re the no of bars back??

you haven't done your homework... LOL, and it shows.

nor have you took up my suggestion to open Gap Up.

On the contrary, I did look up the file "Gap Up Bar" in the show me section. Hence I moved a couple of things, but it did not tell me too much. It's probably not the file you meant. Currently looking at Gap & Reverse Up.

Really don't know what i'm looking at or for:confused:

Is it to do with BarNum as a variable or am I going down a blind alley. I do really appreciate your help, but on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Eureka. how close am I to 10? Begining to think I might be under a dam gravestone before I get this right!!:frustrated:

Cheers

MC

arrow is more advanced stuff... let's tackle one challenge at a time.

homework for the weekend:

look up the following keywords:

plot

setplotcolor

Enjoy!

p.s. arrow is only available for MultiCharts.

here's the homework I was talking about.

On the contrary, I did look up the file "Gap Up Bar" in the show me section. Hence I moved a couple of things, but it did not tell me too much. It's probably not the file you meant. Currently looking at Gap & Reverse Up.

Really don't know what i'm looking at or for:confused:

Is it to do with BarNum as a variable or am I going down a blind alley. I do really appreciate your help, but on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Eureka. how close am I to 10? Begining to think I might be under a dam gravestone before I get this right!!:frustrated:

Cheers

MC

You are at 9.9999999 !