Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Hi Forrest,

How are you trading based on this?

Best Wishes,

Thales

I'm not sure I know the answer to this? Is this a trick question?

But to put it simply, of the 4 pairs I watch regularly, G/J is one of the pairs I won't be taking any trades on for a while. To me the entire area looks like chop. Particularly since Friday, the range got even tighter.

I'm sure there is a way to trade it, but I think we'd all be better of just waiting for it to make a decision one way or the other. :2c:

EURJPY opportunity. This is countertrend as the movement is still in the main downtrend supply line. It is on the demand line of a new uptrend that could go up to the main supply line, but who knows....

EDIT: you can't see the main supply line of the main trend (down) - sorry.

Hi JohnJohn,

You could play this one either way - how com you are choosing to play it for longs if you have the trend as down?

With kind regards,

MK

Now watch for the 15m.

Two things, Don4 ...

1) Here is my look at the current EURUSD. I have this showing a possible short, but this could easily switch to a long. In the end, nothing seems to be swinging tonight, and I'm happy just to go to bed early and see what tomorrow brings. And,

2) My daughter finds your avatar creepy, and I have to say, so do I. Nothing personal, but for now I will be putting you on ignore. You are free to post here, of course, and you are free to keep your avatar. If you change the avatar, I'll take you off ignore. But my daughter is here with me a good bit, so I have to do what I have to do.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f60094c5_11-17-2009EURUSD1.thumb.jpg.534827df73bcceab20dcb59c5959d8c1.jpg

Hi JohnJohn,

You could play this one either way - how com you are choosing to play it for longs if you have the trend as down?

With kind regards,

MK

Like i said, i saw a countertrend opportunity. Price was in a defined uptrend within the main downtrend. It was right on the demand line...thought i saw a good opportunity for a long. My analysis was just based on the trend lines. Makes me even more convinced to stick to trades that are in-sync with the main trend.

Two things, Don4 ...

1) Here is my look at the current EURUSD. I have this showing a possible short, but this could easily switch to a long. In the end, nothing seems to be swinging tonight, and I'm happy just to go to bed early and see what tomorrow brings. And,

2) My daughter finds your avatar creepy, and I have to say, so do I. Nothing personal, but for now I will be putting you on ignore. You are free to post here, of course, and you are free to keep your avatar. If you change the avatar, I'll take you off ignore. But my daughter is here with me a good bit, so I have to do what I have to do.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Best Wishes,

Thales

For you and your daughter I will change it.

Well, what do you know ... USDCAD looks like the real deal.

Best Wishes,

Thales

It's interesting that this move is basically taking place right off the demand line from the trend that started yesterday.

5.thumb.jpg.311628c124a18d85fa8569f75e44ef2b.jpg

Edited by johnjohn1hew

Hey Thales :yes sir:

I was thinking more about the S/R stuff and thought that maybe you put more emphasis on the recent past few days trade than you would on say S/R from a couple weeks or a month ago - would you say that is true? I know every situation is unique, but just meaning in general. I have been doing the opposite, putting more faith in the obvious S/R, but it is usually weeks or months ago - maybe that is part of my problem. Not assessing the recent past few days action properly while approaching the bigger picture S/R.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Signed,

Private MK

Edited by MidKnight

Here is the E/U, but I don't really like the size of the stop that is required, so decided to miss this one. Two charts, a 5 and 15m showing the trade.

Has anyone ever seen a trade they like, and decide to wait for another swing in which you intend to wait in order to reduce the size of your initial stop?

Often. A couple of days ago I wrote about 'backing and filling'. Any time the swings from the end of the previous move are large but without much directional progress being made, you will likely have potential targets closer than stops.Of course when no directional progress is being made you have chop, however you often get 'lazy' movement (especially at the end of a move where momentum is waning). Price is moving just with large retracements after each push. Thales suggested a couple of possibilities for managing an example I posted.

Aloha,

Here is a possibility with the euro right now, If this fail here we could get some good down, but I think I'll use a different pair like AUD/USD for that if it ends up happening, since it is hitting the R from yesterday as I type this.

EDIT: 0346 EST, long and moved stop to 1.4898

EDIT: 0401 EST, moving stop to BE

5aa70f6032752_MK02_18_Nov_2009.thumb.png.f84252f1f880f43427079ed4d2181227.png

Edited by MidKnight

Hi Folks,

Just got in, and I see that the USDCAD declined to reach its second target, and added some on for good measure.

Best Wishes,

Thales

This was an interesting chart. http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/attachments/208/15423d1258496942-reading-charts-real-time-11-17-2009-usdcad5.jpg (linked for convenience)

I can certainly see the 123 but it dosen't look that 'well formed' to me. (I would be unsurprised to find some bucket shop feeds showing a pip HH at 3). To be honest the action looks like a 'box' or ledge to me (if you'll pardon the pattern reference). Still as I review the thread paying a bit more attention I notice other examples like this.

Coupled with the fact that immediate resistance had broken and the 'box' was sitting on top of it I would have been just as inclined (actually more inclined) to conciser a long (which fortunately would not have triggered). Of course I would have been mistaken which gives a great opportunity to better my understanding.

So formation and context :) I guess on the former (formation) this and any number of other examples are there own answer.

I also notice that the 3 bar was also the entry bar and immediately followed the 2/trigger bar. No issues with that just an observation :)

Hey Thales :yes sir:

I was thinking more about the S/R stuff and thought that maybe you put more emphasis on the recent past few days trade than you would on say S/R from a couple weeks or a month ago - would you say that is true? I know every situation is unique, but just meaning in general. I have been doing the opposite, putting more faith in the obvious S/R, but it is usually weeks or months ago - maybe that is part of my problem. Not assessing the recent past few days action properly while approaching the bigger picture S/R.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Signed,

Private MK

I know in the past when I have focused on a a particular index you actually get to remember levels (I know a couple of people who trade without charts, they just remember key levels, my memory isn't that good anymore). The fresher the level the fresher the memory though significant levels of course persist both as S/R and in your mind for longer. Not what you asked really.

I must say all the currencies, what with there wierd fractional components don't seem to stick for me.

Conventional wisdom would have that 'obvious' SR is 'best' (perhaps 'strongest' is a more appropriate word) as everyone will be aware of it.

Aloha,

Here is a possibility with the euro right now, If this fail here we could get some good down, but I think I'll use a different pair like AUD/USD for that if it ends up happening, since it is hitting the R from yesterday as I type this.

EDIT: 0346 EST, long and moved stop to 1.4898

EDIT: 0401 EST, moving stop to BE

Filled on T1 for 27pips and stop at 1.4915

EDIT: 0459, Filled T2 at 1.4957 for 47pips. 3/4ths of the position is gone now.

5aa70f603989d_MK03_18_Nov_2009.thumb.png.32ea1ecc684b679fd4aed86710dd8541.png

5aa70f6040bcb_MK04_18_Nov_2009.thumb.png.41cd6cbceb49e318e019da789edbb3cd.png

Edited by MidKnight

Filled on T1 for 27pips and stop at 1.4915

EDIT: 0459, Filled T2 at 1.4957 for 47pips. 3/4ths of the position is gone now.

Moved stop up 1.4937. Maybe premature as it hasn't taken out the high yet...

EDIT: 0619, possible LH in the making.

EDIT: 0639, closed trade at 1.4969 for 59 pips. It's stalling here and I'm not going to be a dick for a tick tonight. Target was set for 1.4975. The gain on the trade averaged across exits was 40 pips. A decent result I thought, especially since the risk was so quickly reduced because it moved. Probably my first real feel for getting things moving as soon as it broke out.

5aa70f60482e1_MK05_19_Nov_2009.thumb.png.3e776d0ba138b9454aaad7c617dffa7e.png

5aa70f604c088_MK06_19_Nov_2009.png.de4392a4f335da08e4831e2622bd9a49.png

5aa70f60551aa_MK07_19_Nov_2009.thumb.png.124224d614531e4e54de617b515f7803.png

Edited by MidKnight