Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Here is an ending diagonal on the GBPUSD. As I have said before, the anticipated direction from this pattern is a reversal of the trend leading into it. However, if price breaks in the direction of the trend, the move can be quite something.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f66dc482_11-22-2009GBPUSDEndignDiagonal1.thumb.jpg.983e5a9a00026e59462fe0f1aa610caf.jpg

Why can no one go with the flow of capital?

The problem with H L LH is that you will often get it against the trend in a good move.

Kiwi, here's the big picture. Resistance at 132.91-ish (in my view) and an anticipated move down to support at 132.36 (about middle of the 132.90 - 131.83 area). So target 1 was before that first R, and target 2 below it. R:R would be close to 1 for the first target so the setup looked attractive to me.

I know you have described a similar context earlier in this thread and I found it interesting then (as I did now), I will definitely try to keep it in mind in the future.

EURJPY-2009-11-23_2.png.6a5d4240fc501ebd5c3fcf4f82762300.png

Potential GU Short.

Gabe

Maybe a potential short entry on the GBPUSD...

...sorry...just realized Gabe just posted the same thing. lol

Any one see a potential long there as well?

Just asking.

Best Wishes,

Thales

The long looks good, but i won't trade it as the RR does not meet my criteria...my first target would be the magenta line (midpoint of range) and the stop would be below the lowest black line. Also, the main trend is up...so no shorts for me.

5aa70f6708340_GBPUSD23_11_2009(5Min).thumb.jpg.ab181ae6e982f0aed1dcdbd08dcee2e4.jpg

EURJPY setting up a long...

Edit: Wow, didn't realize it was a 2 minute chart. Not my normal view....

Edit2: On the 15 min. it could be a short as well, but the trend (IMO) is up for now.

5aa70f670d3be_EURJPY23_11_2009(2Min).thumb.jpg.a04fd257557cacd5dab28f452ef69b59.jpg

5aa70f672c791_EURJPY23_11_2009(15Min).thumb.jpg.419a9dca774bb4b5f5c53f9b66ccb18f.jpg

Edited by johnjohn1hew

Just asking.

Best Wishes,

Thales

I see maybe a shorter-term long and a longer-term long. If the price can break to higher highs, the trend may have further to go.

I'd honestly probably be more weary of the shorter-term long than the longer-term. Just my feeling.

Looks like the market can't decide what it wants to do...fairly idle for a little while now.

EDIT!! - The blue line on the second chart would not necessarily be my entry. It was just to indicate what I was looking for a break of.

5aa70f6712d3e_Long3.jpg.679d870bdc25ab83bea7def16807d23b.jpg

Long1.jpg.092f65fe7a0b75d4cd68c86f295e0d7c.jpg

Long2.jpg.15dae7f3ecb544c5a2cb99e84fffc2ac.jpg

If you buy into the idea that resistance becomes support when broken (which we all do right?) then isn't there always a potential long lurking wherever there is a short? (hope that doesn't sound facetious it's not meant to).

Actually Im not liking much at all right now. Mind you I have watched things going nowhere for the last 8 hours or so. Lethargic price action has one of two effects on me...it either sends me to sleep or I end up forcing trades that don't exist. Fortunately it was the former today (literally!) Of course I'm likely to miss out on a good move as explosive moves often come out of sideways action. Dax did have a quite nice move whilst I was dozing.

Nothing strikes me as particularly clear and attractive at the moment. A lot of consolidation at the day's extremes has me leaning toward lower USD, lower Yen, higher everything else.

Best Wishes,

Thales

The long EURJPY trade that i am in right now is at the HOD, but there is no force to the break up...so my stop is tight. I guess no one (right now) wants to see it go higher.

Edit: Just exited. Didn't like the trade form the beginning. Would have wanted momentum on the break, but nothing came in. The 5 min was forming top like action and the 1 min. was dead. I got around 11 pips in total.

We have lift off (inverse :) )

Gabe

I missed this trade. I had basically given up on it. It had created a chop zone for an hour-hour and a half and I personally am weary of just trading a break out of the zone. I'd rather it break, pull back, then I'd get in off a break of the low.

Not to mention I was eating lunch and not paying attention anyway. I'm not sure what I would have done/what I'm going to do with that.

I'm watching the EUR/USD (6E) right now....possibly looking for a break of 1.4962...

No trades for me yet this morning...:hmpf:

EuroShort.jpg.6f63875a290e48c1ae97919a9d8471fd.jpg

I missed this trade.

Looks like I may have missed out. I'm honestly probably a little hesistant to pull the trigger today because it's my first day live after simming for a while now...

If I were in that trade, I'd probably be at BE now...

We have lift off (inverse :) )

Gabe

Had to leave and just came back 2 c that the short did not work out very well.

Moved the Stop to a minor loss if it triggers.

Could be a Stop and Reverse situation

Gabe

5aa70f67a6284_GU_Nov_23_2009_15minpotential_short-3.thumb.png.9b5c897fb65d2f5196d689ca26d9f965.png

Had to leave and just came back 2 c that the short did not work out very well.

Moved the Stop to a minor loss if it triggers.

Could be a Stop and Reverse situation

Gabe

Had I been in this trade I would have been taken out for a small loss and probably I would have reversed and gone long but there is still too much resistance overhead.

Gabe

5aa70f67adf0d_GU_Nov_23_2009_15minpotential_short-4.thumb.png.7525666c9f6ab4a9aed4dce22b12effe.png

I do not like to be a top- or botom- picker, but EURJPY has a little activity that makes me want to be short.

Well, short was the right thing to be. Here is another opportunity to be short as well. I do not typically initiate new positions this close to the US close.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f67e4b43_11-23-2009EURJPY.thumb.jpg.fa84b0c434729cc6073792f7ca5dd598.jpg

5aa70f67e9f0f_11-23-2009EURJPY2.thumb.jpg.12f676924c4b236d914feea69d7c7dc1.jpg

Had I been in this trade I would have been taken out for a small loss and probably I would have reversed and gone long but there is still too much resistance overhead.

Gabe

Moved stop to below most recent swing trough.

Gabe

PS I am not in this trade.

5aa70f67f2189_GU_Nov_23_2009_15minpotential_short-5.thumb.png.94a8e0364a72ef978c582e566160c09f.png

Here we go ...

Funny thing too ... after having praised FXCM micro for the small spreads and the lack of slippage, I am getting creamed on my stops (both entries and exits) today. I could see if we were putting on $1,000,000 positions, but we are trading two mini lot equivalents. If this keeps up, we'll be posting trades basis futures only. Looks like FXCM may have taken a page out of Oanda's book. A small spread looks good, but it doesn't mean anything if you are going to get clipped for 3-5 ticks extra in and out.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Thales,

Am I right to assume that FXCM is back to normal (you're still posting spot fx charts)?

I was thinking about opening a mini (if not micro) account. I currently trade currency futures, which I like better than spot, but this approach is the most discretionary way to trade I've ever traded, and I felt scared to death thinking about putting on my first live trade with it this morning. Even though I have the capital to trade standard lots, I'd like to baby-step my way to them. I did really well sim trading last week, but based on how I felt when I went live today, I know I won't be able to do the same thing live unless I work my way up to full size.

The CME actually offers mini and micro currency futures, but the volume is very low...untradably so.

Thanks!