Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tams

Sell in May, Go Away...

And what do you sell?l :D

I'd sell the S&P 500...My neighbor's auto mechanic said that's a bad stock. And trust me on this, my neighbor's auto mechanic knows the CEO of S&P 500 (whatever that company does), so I think he would know what he's talking about.

I mean that's just my friend's advice though...I wouldn't want to get in trouble for insider trading or anything. Because this guy is obviously an insider. And he's obviously had great success making trades based on info from his CEO acquaintance...being an auto mechanic and all.

Edited by diablo272

Well, your neighbor's auto mechanic should know better ... The S&P 500 is a car racing company. It's like the Daytona 500, but held in Europe -- in Spain & Portugal, actually, so that's why its called S&P. Anyway, it is a good stock, especially if you like cars.

Here's a secret for trading: If you look in the parking lots, all the brokers and traders have nice cars. So, since they like cars, they buy new cars and stocks like the S&P 500 will be bullish. Since they like cars so much, they won't let something like the S&P 500 go down. Plus, its summer and that's when all the racing occurs, so car racing stocks are gonna do well in the summer - it's a seasonal effect.

See, it's pretty easy when you think about it -- I don't understand why people think trading is so hard. Just apply logic and buy what the brokers and traders like! So, I'd be buying the S&P company and looking to sell other things -- like maybe a ski company since it's May an all the snow has melted and nobody is going to be skiing ...

... if you don't want to sell and go away...

the least you can do is

don't trade commodities this month... it is going to the dogs.

(k9)

There was a lot about this topic last year, & some did well by doing the opposite in May '09

But whats the take this year ? Most charts are looking Toppy

Will Gold make new High ? this summer . .. ? ? ?

Why are the media gurus, pundits much quite on the seasonal topic . . . ....(so far )

Would much appreciate your views, charts, stats, article-links, etc

I am out of my swing longs yesterday; Will daytrade opportunities through the season

Short Article

Sell In May And Go Away - Again? | Daily Markets

Thanks Minoo

js redirect

Man May was also a great time for me as well. I traded CL and TF for most of May with really nice results. Also did a little with the EC and NQ which also had great months. Shoot even my swing trading of stocks was profitable. So sell in may and go away was just a myth for me.

With everything going on over in Europe and even here in the U.S. I think this summer could actually be decent. We might not see extreme volatility but I don't think we will go into sideways chop on everything either. If you are worried about things slowing down just cut down on your size.

I am way overdue for a vacation as well. Too bad I'm just addicted to trading.

I guess this year it might have worked since we declined through mid summer -- of course when to get back onboard is another question -- would have been quite difficult to know that heading into early August the market would rally like it has especially after a rocky first half of the summer.

The more things change, the more they.......sometimes? stay the same.

I guess this year it might have worked since we declined through mid summer -- of course when to get back onboard is another question ....

just buy every time the market flips back above 200 MA.

After I commented on 27April @ 4:42 AM in this thread 'Sell in May and Go Away'

I am out of my swing longs yesterday; Will daytrade opportunities through the season

I got in Plenty of Trouble in May with my firm, which obviously had some disclosure restrictions while one is contracted-out this includes your own Analysis. Nobody gave much notice to passive Blogging etc... Till one day in last May

I foolishly was updating the below threads of my endeavours in May

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/2/charting-past-bears-4622-5.html

Refer to the comments & charts posted on 27th April @ 5:36AM (Thread number #47) till 7th May

No trouble with the markets as I very taken most of the action before I blogged;

But Oh boy! when my firm found out about the so called 'Timely-Updates' here on TL after the 6th May Eventfool trading; This butt got in plenty of Trouble.

Further to add insult to their ego, I had commented on 2nd May Sunday

So just playing it Nimble & Safe here with the anticipated volatility; Daytrading with a limited/reduced account

(I commented this before their very bullish weekly outlook Mon 3rd May)

Their perceived target was 1300, they thought it will get hit with momentum once market crosses above 1200 & retrace back than. The chief analyst, risk analyst, my manager went all Ape Mad after the Eventfool 6th May and someone pointed them to my comments

Its wise always to respect your said contract & meticulously go through it in the first place before you put your name on the .. . . .. line. The agent may say anything and to him it may be routine & sooner the deal is done he gets paid. Its only your and truly your butt on the line once you sign it.

In an Institute it doesnot matter how well you do, You do well accordingly. Otherwise you will bear brunt for being right not their way. In Market, even if you get it right you can still get your butt kicked.

Should have than taken the opportunity and left gladly; But whether it was (ego, uncertainty, fear or whatever) I chose to stay put; Soon to realise the foolish decision I made. When trouble comes it brews from all the four sides. Any way its recent-history now; Most important that I have me freedom back & learnt me lesson.

Market teaches you to be humble in all possible ways, its not that you have climb the mount Everest and can Stick your Pole up for the world to see. I believe one needs to be humble as well as discrete to gain and retain.

At times I often wonder if voluntary castration could be a remedy (one leg less of emotion)for traders to take when dealing with this lady (market)

Well you can laugh at my expense but dont repeat my mistake which we trader so often do.

Enjoy Minoo

Note: I still have not updated some threads since, will get round it soon. Busy setting up me trading shop