Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

rsinghal2000

Consistently Profitable Trader?

Hey Everyone,

I was curious to know if any highly successful consistently profitable experienced traders are up for speaking to and masterminding with me. I've been trading various products for 5 years: US equities, US index futures and spot currencies in long term, swing and day trading timeframes.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my strategies and the customizations I've researched and developed. However, there are some changes I'd like to make with my mindset as it relates to proper execution after an extended drawdown and extended run up.

I'm looking to learn how a consistently successful trader thinks and views the markets. I'm not interested in anyone's system, instead I'm looking to experience a consistently successful traders' perception and behaviour. I'm 33, old to know I don't know everything and young enough to still be able to change.

I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone would share some of their views of how they have gained the consistency they have achieved. They can trade any market because I'm only interested learning how they view the markets and what kind of mindset they have.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak to someone for only 30-60 minutes a week. Enough time to touch base and heed any expert advice. I have a huge passion and commitment for the financial markets and define trading success as properly executing my trading trategies. I understand it's a continual process.

I'm not sure how, yet, to return the favour, but I will come up with something. I know this may be strange to ask, but if I don't put it out there I'll never know!

Please reply here if you're up for it, and then we can move forward from that.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Rahul

if you can find a consistently losing system,

just do the reverse.

Hi Tams,

I had one,

but doing the reverse, is not so easy too,

because this thing called stop.

Anyway, the way to ruin (within simulation) for me was,

counter trend. You see some bars with lower lows,

And say to yourself, now it will go up.

While you maintain a small stop, lets say 10 ticks (because this trade is risky),

you further would like to see a high target, maybe 40 ticks or more.

Well, what will happen is, that it might go in your favor for some time,

but then it finally enters the trend again.

Then, you might say to yourself, well this might become a double bottom (or top),

well I allow myself a bigger stop, lets say 40 ticks.

And then, you are already managing your loser,

as you should have managed a winner.

Regards,

Hal

P.S.: FWIW

just do the reverse.

This not as easy as it sounds though. If the non profitable system enter on a stop and have some trailing stop at X bar low (when going long), this is not as easy to just reverse and do the opposite.

Also you might have a system that is very marginally profitable, but trading costs causes it to be unprofitable. Just reversing the orders will make it even more unprofitable.

just do the reverse.

I did this once, and it worked for a while, I think I started correcting for it and messing it up.

It was a system I purchased, and i would pick ALL the losers, day in and day out. Super frustrating.

Most of my stops were typically 2 - 2.50 ES points. I could literally rack up negative 10-16 points each day, as fast as I wanted.

So what I did was switch my stops and targets around, called it "Costanza System." I simply switched them, and subtracted a tic from the typical stop and made that the profit target....... and voila!

I would up making back all the points I ever lost, but then started changing somehow, I wasn't even aware I was doing it.:crap:

Maybe when I get to where I want trading wise, that would be a good project for an apprentice to practice.

To the OP - whatever you decide to do, make sure the person giving you advice actually is a consistent and profitable trader. Anyone can come on here or PM and say - I'll help you for $10k, just send to my paypal.

For example, there's a handful (small) that post in the P/L thread with blotters screenshotted. For an anonymous forum, that's about as best as you are going to get.

Point is that anyone can hop on here and claim they actually do this for a living but very, very few EVER show ANY evidence of ACTUALLY doing it. For example, there's a few parts on this forum where discussions take place about trading ideas and a guru or two will lead the way for the followers, yet there's never been any evidence that this self-imposed 'guru' does any real money trading. Food for thought.

So true brownsfan. Few here know whether I trade or not ... and the only reason even they might have to believe me are the screams heard across the seas when I make a costly mistake.

dog.JPG

...I'm only interested learning how they view the markets and what kind of mindset they have...

Hi Rahul,

FWIW, I view the markets as fractal in nature. This fractal nature displays patterns which are identifiable. These patterns allow a trader to track the movement of price from its beginnings until its endings. This pattern is visible on all timeframes and all liquid markets.

With regards to mindset, IMO, there are a few key phrases (mental and emotional) which describe a consistently successful trader's mindset:

Mental:

Knowing that you know - Having a method (which applies to any timeframe and any liquid market) which allows a trader to know where he/she is within a price cycle, and to know what it's beginnings and ending look like and when they arrive.

Emotional:

Feelings of Support, Comfort, and Confidence - Emotions signalling to the trader that he/she has a firm grasp of the trading method(s) and reinforcement which develops through continuing positive experience.

If you're using the search function, you can quite frequently to dig up old threads that include the term you searched for. And it's easy to post in an old thread at that point, because for me anyway, it's easy to not notice the date of the last post.

I did this once, and it worked for a while, I think I started correcting for it and messing it up.

It was a system I purchased, and i would pick ALL the losers, day in and day out. Super frustrating.

Most of my stops were typically 2 - 2.50 ES points. I could literally rack up negative 10-16 points each day, as fast as I wanted.

So what I did was switch my stops and targets around, called it "Costanza System." I simply switched them, and subtracted a tic from the typical stop and made that the profit target....... and voila!

I would up making back all the points I ever lost, but then started changing somehow, I wasn't even aware I was doing it.:crap:

Maybe when I get to where I want trading wise, that would be a good project for an apprentice to practice.

You would have been doubly screwed if the system started to work the way it was supposed to work.