Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Rusty99

MACD + Histograms/Twiggs/ROC

I am a relative newcomer and I have been using a system which uses MACD crossovers + price/volume changes to search for stock. I then use a chart that includes MACD + histogram and Twiggs Money Flow + ROC to choose when to buy and sell. [Twiggs is a modified Chaikin Money Flow]. The signals are a simultaneous rise in Twiggs and ROC + a change in histogram trend (or MACD crossover) for Buy Signal and simultaneous Falls + change in histogram trend for the sell signal. (See chart) I would be interested in any comments you may have on this system. The MACD crossover is generally too late as a signal - hence the use of the histogram trend.

Multicollinearity is reduced with this system as:-

ROC(price) is a momentum indicator

MACD is a trend indicator

Twiggs Money Flow is a Volume Indicator

The system is not mechanical but requires interpretation using the top display.

I use a filter (MACD + Volume and Price changes) to select potential stocks and then use the display to narrow down the choice and further information to buy and sell. It is a short-term system (5 to 10 days or more).

chart1.jpg

I have had another look at stochastic and Slow stochastic, but they appear to give too many 'false signals' for swing trading, though the signals earlier earlier than MACD.

Cheers

My followup research has confrmed that stochastic (various indices) produces more 'false signals' that cannot be distinguished from the main signals.

Cheers

The long stoch is to demonstrate trend, the fast stochastics will show entry points...... use two time frames, enter off the lower TF, using the close of the bar that takes out the bar before the high or low......

I think that if you play with this for a while you miss no retraces whatsoever, trade only with the trend.

......enter off the lower TF, using the close of the bar that takes out the bar before the high or low......

Sorry - can you please spell this out - it's unclear to me.

Thanks