Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheRumpledOne

Never Lose Again!! TheRumpledOne

From your previous post, I thought you came to the conclusion that indicators aren't needed, that one could simply follow price. Did this change, or do you just enjoy making new indicators?

Hello TRO!

Nice that you found another site to place your gold! :)

Can you explain the CDRW multimeter in post 294 please?

Everytime I see CDRW, I keep thinking CD read write :haha:

Also on a separate note, can someone quickly explain the term/word 'repainting' (not on the wall kind of painting as you know) please, I've been searching for a few hours but I haven't anything concrete.

Also on a separate note, can someone quickly explain the term/word 'repainting' (not on the wall kind of painting as you know) please, I've been searching for a few hours but I haven't anything concrete.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the term "repainting" in the context of trading refers to those instances in which an indicator which prints or "paints" trading signals on a chart in real time will move the signal to subsequent paint bars, in effect, repainting itself on the price chart.

Problems with interpreting such signals sometimes occur when, for example, a signal to go long is given and a position is entered in accordance with that signal. Price then continues to decline, and another long signal is given on ensuing price bars.

Best Wishes,

Thales

I may be wrong, but I believe that the term "repainting" in the context of trading refers to those instances in which an indicator which prints or "paints" trading signals on a chart in real time will move the signal to subsequent paint bars, in effect, repainting itself on the price chart.

Problems with interpreting such signals sometimes occur when, for example, a signal to go long is given and a position is entered in accordance with that signal. Price then continues to decline, and another long signal is given on ensuing price bars.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Thank you Thales. every time someone says this indicator repaints, it drives me nuts when I couldn't work it out.

Why would an indicator repaint, couldn't the signal be a new one?

Why would an indicator repaint, couldn't the signal be a new one?

I'll take a stab at an answer here, though I am not the most qualified to do so.

Suppose that an expert advisor, .efs, .eld, etc. were programmed to signal a long trade whenever price retraced a fib% after making a new high. On one bar, price retraces 23.6% of the move, which is the minimum amout required to issue a signal. A green up arrow is printed beneath that price bar by the program to signal a long trade set up. Then, on the next bar, rather than price resuming the rally, it continues to decline, and reaches a 38% retrace of the move. This is within the parameters of the program to signal a long entry. The green arrow that had been printed under the prior bar now moves, i.e. repaints to the subsequent bar. Is this a new signal? Or is it the same signal just from a new level? Does it matter? I don't know how to answer that, as I do not use any such programs. To continue with the example, price continues to fall, and it hits the 62% retracement on the next bar, and the signal again repaints from the prior bar to the present bar. On the next bar, price retraces 86%, the maximum retrace allowed by the program to still issue a buy signal. The program repaints the buy signal on that bar. Price continues to fall, retraces 110% of the move, thus invalidating all the signals that had previously been painted on the chart. Often, there is no sign left on the chart by the program that it had issued what amounts to four losing long trade signals in a row. Sure makes back-testing tricky for the user, but it probably makes it much easier for the unscupulous software seller or systems vendor to cherry pick examples for their sales literature and web sites.

None of this is meant as a criticism of The Rumpled One. From what I have seen of his work, he has some fine indicators for those inclined to use them.

Best Wishes,

Thales

From your previous post, I thought you came to the conclusion that indicators aren't needed, that one could simply follow price. Did this change, or do you just enjoy making new indicators?

TRO - I've been following this thread with interest but I'm confused about this point, like Atto. Seems to me like you started the thread saying only look at price, no indicators required - but since then you post about new indicators and new versions of indicators 75% of the time and the other 25% you spend reminding us that price is ALL you need.....?

Thanks

BM

TRO is a "genius" in code writting. He has written "thousand of indicators" and most of them are free, "a few good indicators" he uses them as "carrot" for newbies. They like indicators so he get "donation" money from them. He also said "do NOT use indicators". You either hate him or love him.

TRO is a "genius" in code writing. He has written "thousand of indicators" and most of them are free, "a few good indicators" he uses them as "carrot" for newbies. They like indicators so he get "donation" money from them. He also said "do NOT use indicators". You either hate him or love him.

Sorry, but that doesn't really make any sense to me. I'm not saying TRO is / is not a good coder (I have no coding abilities, so can't comment) or that he is / is not a good and successful trader (this thread gives me no clue - he just keeps saying "it's easy"). But, my point is this - if he can trade successfully without ANY INDICATORS... why is he churning out 'thousands' of unnecessary indicators to try and scrape donation money from newbies?

But, my point is this - if he can trade successfully without ANY INDICATORS... why is he churning out 'thousands' of unnecessary indicators to try and scrape donation money from newbies?

It is called passive income, and it makes perfect sense.

I think TRO is an Introdicing Broker for MT forex, so he benefits from having folks sign up to trade with MT and designating him as their IB.

TRO is a business person.

If I were smart enough to write a book from which I could live off the proceeds, or if I had the ability to convince a forex dealer to let me be an IB, I'd do it too. I'd still trade too, because I find it extremely enjoyable. But that doesn't mean I would walk away from an opportunity to develop a stream of income that did not depend upon my active, daily, ever present labor to generate.

From what I have seen of TRO's work and his posts here and elsewhere, he seems to have a decent and genuine interest in helping folks succeed at this business. It is not his only interest, but so what. He stands head and shoulders above the parasites and leaches who peddle software, trading systems, trading courses, dvd's, cd's, etc. or otherwsie troll internet forums looking for followers whom they can "mentor" and "teach."

Most folks who are attracted to trading have some notion that trading for a living will offer them freedom.

TRO happens to be one of the view who has figured out that the true path to such freedom is developing a passive source of income, and he is trying to accomplish it without taking advantage of folks.

If my assessment is correct, then I'd have to say that TRO is fairly laudable, in my book.

Best Wishes,

Thales

He trades successfully, but.... he also loves money!!!! (churchs have a lot of money, but still need donation too)????

A simple math for you. If 1000 newbies give "donation" from $50 to $500; on average

is 1000 X$100 # $100,000. Not bad money, Ah.

People never cease to amaze me. Some people always look for a "dark side".

I code indicators because I can and most traders can't. My degree was in computer science. I have been trading and programming since 1977. I have posted hundreds of free indicators for TradeStation, eSignal and MT4.

Not all indicators are created equally. The SQUIGGLY LINE variety are LAGGING INDICATORS. Most of what I code are GAUGES that tell you in real time what price is doing, where it is at in relation to other prices, how far price has traveled, etc... I also code multimeters, multipair and dashboards so you do not have to look at dozens of charts to see what price is doing on each chart.

Do you need indicators to trade? NO.

Can indicators help with your trading? Perhaps.

It is up to the individual to decide which, if any, indicators they want to use.

As far as donations go... some people sent me donations and gifts because they appreciated what I do. I decided to do something for them to show my appreciation and that's how the donational indicators started. Why it has created so much attention is beyond me. Why should someone care if someone else sends me a donation and receives indicators? No one is forced to send me a donation.

If I wanted a business, then I would set up a web site and sell indicators one by one. As it stands right now, if someone sends me a $50 donation they receive about 200 indicators. I receive about $0.25 per indicator. Not to mention, they will receive any new indicators that I create so the price per indicator will go down. That's not a business model that anyone would want to adopt.

Yes, I am an IB for MB Trading. I used to post and got banned for spreading the truth that there is NO FIXED SPREAD in forex. I told everyone I could about EFX Group, who has since been acquired by MB Trading. Because I did that, they offered to make me an IB. At the time, I didn't even know what an IB was. You should be less afraid of me because to be an IB, they run your fingerprints.

It seems no matter where I post someone always brings these things up. For what reason? To turn people against me? To get me banned from the forum? To ruin my reputation?

I hope I have answered your questions.

I'll take a stab at an answer here, though I am not the most qualified to do so.

Suppose that an expert advisor, .efs, .eld, etc. were programmed to signal a long trade whenever price retraced a fib% after making a new high. On one bar, price retraces 23.6% of the move, which is the minimum amout required to issue a signal. A green up arrow is printed beneath that price bar by the program to signal a long trade set up. Then, on the next bar, rather than price resuming the rally, it continues to decline, and reaches a 38% retrace of the move. This is within the parameters of the program to signal a long entry. The green arrow that had been printed under the prior bar now moves, i.e. repaints to the subsequent bar. Is this a new signal? Or is it the same signal just from a new level? Does it matter? I don't know how to answer that, as I do not use any such programs. To continue with the example, price continues to fall, and it hits the 62% retracement on the next bar, and the signal again repaints from the prior bar to the present bar. On the next bar, price retraces 86%, the maximum retrace allowed by the program to still issue a buy signal. The program repaints the buy signal on that bar. Price continues to fall, retraces 110% of the move, thus invalidating all the signals that had previously been painted on the chart. Often, there is no sign left on the chart by the program that it had issued what amounts to four losing long trade signals in a row. Sure makes back-testing tricky for the user, but it probably makes it much easier for the unscupulous software seller or systems vendor to cherry pick examples for their sales literature and web sites.

None of this is meant as a criticism of The Rumpled One. From what I have seen of his work, he has some fine indicators for those inclined to use them.

Best Wishes,

Thales

My indicators do not repaint.

Some of the indicators that I have modified may repaint.

People never cease to amaze me. Some people always look for a "dark side".

I code indicators because I can and most traders can't. My degree was in computer science. I have been trading and programming since 1977. I have posted hundreds of free indicators for TradeStation, eSignal and MT4.

Not all indicators are created equally. The SQUIGGLY LINE variety are LAGGING INDICATORS. Most of what I code are GAUGES that tell you in real time what price is doing, where it is at in relation to other prices, how far price has traveled, etc... I also code multimeters, multipair and dashboards so you do not have to look at dozens of charts to see what price is doing on each chart.

Do you need indicators to trade? NO.

Can indicators help with your trading? Perhaps.

It is up to the individual to decide which, if any, indicators they want to use.

As far as donations go... some people sent me donations and gifts because they appreciated what I do. I decided to do something for them to show my appreciation and that's how the donational indicators started. Why it has created so much attention is beyond me. Why should someone care if someone else sends me a donation and receives indicators? No one is forced to send me a donation.

If I wanted a business, then I would set up a web site and sell indicators one by one. As it stands right now, if someone sends me a $50 donation they receive about 200 indicators. I receive about $0.25 per indicator. Not to mention, they will receive any new indicators that I create so the price per indicator will go down. That's not a business model that anyone would want to adopt.

Yes, I am an IB for MB Trading. I used to post and got banned for spreading the truth that there is NO FIXED SPREAD in forex. I told everyone I could about EFX Group, who has since been acquired by MB Trading. Because I did that, they offered to make me an IB. At the time, I didn't even know what an IB was. You should be less afraid of me because to be an IB, they run your fingerprints.

It seems no matter where I post someone always brings these things up. For what reason? To turn people against me? To get me banned from the forum? To ruin my reputation?

I hope I have answered your questions.

TRO

No attack here, your indicators are nice and some are useful but whatever your reason for your prolific coding some here question your motive that you may be draining us, not the banks. Probably because your information is everywhere and disorganized. Since you are an IB for MBT, give the newbie false hope, give him information everywhere and make sure he funds his account and I'll take the commission from him!?

Your instructions are vague. Newbies will be gleaming at all the pips they can win from reading all your posts on this site and others, thinking all they have to do is "don't think, just act".

If you are going to put out methods and systems please be a bit more direct and more responsible.

No attack here, your indicators are nice and some are useful but whatever your reason for your prolific coding some here question your motive that you may be draining us, not the banks.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but this all seems very straightforward to me. If people find the indicators and methods of value, and some % of them either get into his FX/IB deal or send donations, then that is TRO receiving compensation for providing value. End of story. It's just basic business concepts, as far as I can tell.

TRO draining the banks or not is irrelevant. Let's say he made $20million this year trading. Does that have any bearing on your ability to make $20million this year? People have made fortunes with a minute chart and an EMA... and since we all have those I guess we should all be rich, right? On the other hand, if he lost $20million, does that mean the indicators are useless, or that his broker deal is sleazy, or that donations are not warranted when people like what he's done? Not in any objective sense. It's one data point, people, and he may or may not even use the indicators anyway.

Indicators only indicate. It's the trader that trades.

As another trader with a CS degree and a love for programming and passive income, I can tell you that there's nothing suspicious about prolific coding. When I'm active, I'll produce 3 to 5 indicators a night. Why? It's fun to do, no other reason. I also often take code people send me or that I stumble across, and make various improvements. I do it just for the heck of it. Like, I guess it's why some people have fun working on cars, or participating in sporting events, or whatever.

Edited by RichardTodd

I have no problem with people making a passive or active income with their codes.

However I do not enjoy coming to a forum that is plastered with his enticing charts, but with little or no accompanying contribution/value to the community.

When people ask for the code, the only answer he gives is "go google for it".

i.e. I won't post my code here. Come over to my site(trap) so that I can fleece you.

Just my 2 cents...

TRO

No attack here, your indicators are nice and some are useful but whatever your reason for your prolific coding some here question your motive that you may be draining us, not the banks. Probably because your information is everywhere and disorganized. Since you are an IB for MBT, give the newbie false hope, give him information everywhere and make sure he funds his account and I'll take the commission from him!?

Your instructions are vague. Newbies will be gleaming at all the pips they can win from reading all your posts on this site and others, thinking all they have to do is "don't think, just act".

If you are going to put out methods and systems please be a bit more direct and more responsible.

"I am not forcing you to accept my concepts. I only request the traders to review the market from time to time keeping in mind my concepts and if found suitable use in the trades or just ignore. Thanks for your opinion."

I have no problem with people making a passive or active income with their codes.

However I do not enjoy coming to a forum that is plastered with his enticing charts, but with little or no accompanying contribution/value to the community.

i.e. I won't post my code here. Come over to my site(trap) so that I can fleece you.

Just my 2 cents...

The code is posted there and you can download it for FREE. How is that "fleecing"?

The reason I only post my code on one forum is for ease of maintenance. If I fix or enhance the code, then I only have to upload once. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!

Just because YOU do not find value does not mean that others don't.

"An ad hominem attack against an intellectual, not against an idea, is highly flattering. It indicates that the person does not have anything intelligent to say about your message."

Don't let the rat beat you.

"Unless you experience the unpleasant symptoms of being wrong, your brain will never revise its models. Before your neurons can succeed, they must repeatedly fail. There are no shortcuts for this painstaking process."

Pg 54 - HOW WE DECIDE

"Look, for example, at this elegant little experiment. A rat was put in a T-shaped maze with a few morsels of food placed on either the far right or left side of the enclosure. The placement of the food is randomly determined, but the dice is rigged: over the long run, the food was placed on the left side sixty per cent of the time. How did the rat respond? It quickly realized that the left side was more rewarding. As a result, it always went to the left, which resulted in a sixty percent success rate. The rat didn't strive for perfection. It didn't search for a Unified Theory of the T-shaped maze, or try to decipher the disorder. Instead, it accepted the inherent uncertainty of the reward and learned to settle for the best possible alternative.

The experiment was then repeated with Yale undergraduates. Unlike the rat, their swollen brains stubbornly searched for the elusive pattern that determined the placement of the reward. They made predictions and then tried to learn from their prediction errors. The problem was that there was nothing to predict: the randomness was real. Because the students refused to settle for a 60 percent success rate, they ended up with a 52 percent success rate. Although most of the students were convinced they were making progress towards identifying the underlying algorithm, they were actually being outsmarted by a rat."

Pg 64 - HOW WE DECIDE

"Think about the stock market, which is a classic example of a "random walk," since the past movement of any particular stock cannot be used to predict its future movement. The inherent randomness of the market was first proposed by the economist Eugene Fama, in the early 1960's. Fama looked at decades of stock market data in order to prove that no amount of knowledge or rational analysis could help you figure out what would happen next. All of the esoteric tools used by investors to make sense of the market were pure nonsense. Wall Street was like a slot machine."

Pg 67 - HOW WE DECIDE

TRADING IS SIMPLE:

* Price either goes up or down.

* No one knows what will happen next.

* Keep losses small and let winners run.

* POSITION SIZE = RISK / STOP LOSS

* The reason you entered has no bearing on the outcome of your trade.

* You can control the size of your loss (skill) but you can't control the size of your win (luck).

* You need to know when to pick up your chips and cash them in.

but you have the time to plaster the charts everywhere! LOL

other than a "bait" (AKA SPAM), I don't see your charts as any value, substance, or contributions to this community.

Each trader is entitled to their opinion. If you do not think my charts have any value, you are more than welcome to be the counter party on any of my future trades.

Just my 2 cents...

Have you ever visited "my site"? Can you back up your claim that I "fleece" people? Do you have evidence that I have ever "fleeced" someone? I have been posting FREE indicators for years. How can someone get "fleeced" if what they receive is free?

I post my code in one location so I don't have a maintenance nightmare. If you do not like what I do, that is your business. But please cease and desist with your libelous posts.