Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tasuki

Companies That Build Trading Computers?

Hi all,

I have two computers built by tradingcomputers.com, and while the guys who built them are nice and all, I've had nothing but problems with their computers.

I'm looking to have another computer built, but I want to find a better company. What I need is a company that knows what traders need (high on speed, low on graphics--no 3D games, quiet operation and good customer support). I know that there are a number of companies out there, but I can't find them. Would anybody care to give me a reference?

Thanks, Taz

Have you ever thought of just building one yourself? There is plenty of info out there that can show you how. That way you can get everything that you want/need and not have to rely on some other company.

I do know that a company in Austin Texas--Xview--who builds computers for traders. That is their only business, and are very familiar with compatibility with various trading software.

fast processor(s)

MUCHO mucho Ram

fast bus speed

good video

fast hard drive

you don't need someone to design a 'trading' computer for you and 'test' it on you. Order 'almost state of the art' from Tiger Direct (or equivalent) (with XP still - Vista is almost there, but not quite) and save your self some hassle and money.

I collaborated with a local hardware friend - consulting mostly on compatibility issues between desired components, and then when everything arrived he put it together and set up OS, etc. - voila! a great 'trading' computer! hth

Zdo has nailed it.... you could consider getting someone local who services computers, to build it for you, preferably someone who has two or three technicians working for him and can service your computer in the future quickly ( same day fix and return ). Someone who has good business hours as well. They're around.

Your other computer would be great for email, browsing , etc and then you will have only hardware problems with your trading computer, not software related.

erie

...and erie has nailed another good point ---------- Dedicated!

Trading wkstations dedicated to only trading - I allow only one trading platform per station and on my main ones other apps, browsers, emails, .docs, xls. are forbidden! hth

I do know that a company in Austin Texas--Xview--who builds computers for traders. That is their only business, and are very familiar with compatibility with various trading software.

Wish I had heard of these guys before I built my computer. I've had nothing but trouble with mine.

Couldn't you just get the top of the line gamming computer? Lots of speed and great graphics. I don't know but an Alien Ware.

Yes a good 'gaming' machine will do fine - but most of them are overpriced.

400 USD + for case and power supply prorated is ridiculus - most of that could be plowed into a better motherboard or more display real estate or UPS or etc...

you end up paying too much premium for overclocking and bling imo

TraderBG, sorry to hear about that. Did you purchase near top of the line components and check all the little compatability issues before ordering?

My experience with computers is that they are not like washing machines--you plug them in and they work pretty much flawlessly for a few decades. I've heard of a friend or two who has had a trouble-free computer, but with !@#$% Microsoft always "upgrading" their platform with service packs, the probabilities something or somethings going wrong approaches 100%. As a result, I need a computer-maker whom I can call at least five days a week to help me solve this glitch or that. Most of my computers have had both hardware and software problems that I couldn't fix. Just for fun, here's a short list:

1) bad fan motors---squeak like hell

2) bad hard drives (multiple)

3) bad RAM sticks--very hard to diagnose (but easy to fix when you do)

4) conflicts between CPU speed and RAM---the ratio is set in the BIOS, and apparently this ratio is dependent (I couldn't believe this when I heard it) on the humidity where you live

5) conflicts between video drivers and Microsoft's latest "upgrade"

6) conflicts between the motherboard and network cards or peripherals. IRQ assignment can be probematic

7) USB ports not configured correctly---some ports work, others don't (somehow related to #6 I think)

Well, there's a short list of stuff I can't solve on my own....and you think I should build my own computer? If you can work your way around the above problems, hats off to you, but I'd rather focus on trading and leave the computer construction to professionals.

So, XView and Alienware were the two companies mentioned above. I've heard mixed reviews about Alienware. I'll give XView a call, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions if you've got 'em! Thanks!

zdo, I really didn't know what to look for myself because I really don't know a thing about it but I had a computer engineer help me out and then had it confirmed by Geeksquad and they OK'd it. It wouldn't be such an issue if I knew more about computers.

Heres my experience:

First trading PC: I built myself for under $1000. It was a nightmare as it led to problems down the line... ended up costing me $4,000 on a PC crash as I found I was long 4 times my usual position.

Second trading PC: Some Dell PC. this was institutional so top notch PC. I highly recommend a plain Dell.

Third PC: Toshiba with Visa. Didn't like it at first but used to Vista now and my specs are top notch. Running 4gb ram as well. Toshiba PC's are stable and solid.

the only problem I found with Toshiba PC's is if you have multiple HD's. I have a 500gb C and D drive with 3 other 600gb externals plugged into it. this caused it to crash numerous times... so now only using 1 external HD at a time.

I spent a little over 3k on mine including the 4 monitors and a few trips to geeksquad. I just spent another 250 after taking it to geeksquad to fix some unknown issue with my video cards. I really wish I hadn't gone this route. I just want a Dell!

This is interesting that some are posting building it yourself may not be what it's cracked up to be. I've been leaning towards that route myself, but maybe just getting a solid Dell is the way to go... hmmm...

Just called Xview in Austin, TX. Incredibly arrogant! They wouldn't even tell me the speed of the computer they wanted me to spend $8000 for. That arrogance has to come from somewhere, so I think they may be telling the truth when they say that they supply computers to big trading firms.

They also highly recommended that I spend $500 for the privilege of buying a new computer every year for 25% of the original cost. In other words, they want me to pay them $500 so I can then pay them $2000 every year to get a new computer. Whew. I suppose that if you're really making big bucks in the market, then this sort of arrangement would (almost) make sense.

Just called Xview in Austin, TX. Incredibly arrogant! They wouldn't even tell me the speed of the computer they wanted me to spend $8000 for. That arrogance has to come from somewhere, so I think they may be telling the truth when they say that they supply computers to big trading firms.

They also highly recommended that I spend $500 for the privilege of buying a new computer every year for 25% of the original cost. In other words, they want me to pay them $500 so I can then pay them $2000 every year to get a new computer. Whew. I suppose that if you're really making big bucks in the market, then this sort of arrangement would (almost) make sense.

I guess you didn't like my suggestion.......too bad. Good luck to you.

erie

It depends how much you know about computers.

If you know enough, build it yourself. My pc and my eldest's are my "design" and they rock.

If you need superb performance in a multiscreen communications platform and don't know enough (or have a huge ego helped by spending silly money on a custom job in some cases I'm sure) then buy the custom trading computer. Some people need this extra help. Some people probably trade better because of the extra confidence it provides.

But I've just bought another dell laptop and I'm sure their performance standalones are good too ... just get a bit of help insuring you have the power to drive as many screens and apps as you need if you have "special needs."

I guess you didn't like my suggestion.......too bad. Good luck to you.

erie

Hi erierambler, went back and re-read your idea. Hmmm, now that I think about it, there is a Geeksquad shop two towns away which has a very competent technician and several helpers. OK, so here's my reservation, more like a question: these Geeksquad folks don't know the first thing about online trading. Are there specific attributes that traders need in a computer, or will any computer do the job? I've heard that my Nvidia video cards are excellent for charting but would not work well for gaming, and vice versa---the video cards that gamers require would not be optimal for traders. Note that I've just heard this--not a clue whether it's true.

Another potential problem is that small shops generally don't have the ability to answer phone calls if something goes wrong. That certainly would be the case with the Geeksquad shop up the road. You'd have to bring the computer box in, wait in line, describe your issue as best you can, and hope they can replicate the problem. With the computer I now have, I call them on the phone, they log into my computer via the internet, and almost without exception, they have me up and running again in a few minutes. That just isn't possible with local shops, unless you're extraordinarily lucky.

You are right that locals don't know about online trading. That is where fellow traders can help. Zdo , in a previous post gave you the answer to needed attributes in a computer:

fast processor(s)

MUCHO mucho Ram

fast bus speed

good video

fast hard drive

I would prefer custom built to buying over the counter, but that's my opinion.

I have a Matrox G450 MMS Quad video card in mine with the original video card giving me 5 monitors on one computer.(no power issues) I bought the card separately on Ebay because my technician is not familiar with them. Other traders put me on to the card and the setup. There shouldn't be any problem with these cards. Your problems will arise mainly from the OS system which you need a technician's experience. If you have a hardware problem, you still need a technician. If someone local builds and maintains your computer for you, then you will have created a relationship. It will become apparent whether it is a good relationship or not very quickly. You should have a backup computer connected with a router so if you need to take in your main one you still are up and running. Proper tools are important. Your local technician will have also built up relationships with special people that can help you with Excel, programming etc. These people don't need trading experience if you know exactly what you want, for they can write just about anything.

It is nice that you can just call a tech and they go in and fix your problem but i'm sure you are paying for it. Most problems i have had couldn't be fixed like that, the tower had to be taken in.

hope this helps

erie

Hi erierambler, went back and re-read your idea. Hmmm, now that I think about it, there is a Geeksquad shop two towns away which has a very competent technician and several helpers. OK, so here's my reservation, more like a question: these Geeksquad folks don't know the first thing about online trading. Are there specific attributes that traders need in a computer, or will any computer do the job? I've heard that my Nvidia video cards are excellent for charting but would not work well for gaming, and vice versa---the video cards that gamers require would not be optimal for traders. Note that I've just heard this--not a clue whether it's true.

Another potential problem is that small shops generally don't have the ability to answer phone calls if something goes wrong. That certainly would be the case with the Geeksquad shop up the road. You'd have to bring the computer box in, wait in line, describe your issue as best you can, and hope they can replicate the problem. With the computer I now have, I call them on the phone, they log into my computer via the internet, and almost without exception, they have me up and running again in a few minutes. That just isn't possible with local shops, unless you're extraordinarily lucky.

Look at the Optiplex from Dell, they work, they are silent and the have onsite support.

Forget about all the hustlers outthere trying to sell you something as simple as a computer.

Forget about building one by yourself, it's for nerds who needs something extraordinary gaming machine or someone who wants to have some fun building their own machine. A trader needs a robust, consistent and tested machine!

Don't try to hit the small birds with a big gun ;)

Forget about building one by yourself, it's for nerds who needs something extraordinary gaming machine or someone who wants to have some fun building their own machine. A trader needs a robust, consistent and tested machine

The last 3 computers I've owned have been self built, and they have been as stable as any other computer I know of, ones built by Dell, HP, Voodoo, Alienware, and even Apple. One big advantage to building your own is that if something does go wrong with it, you're more likely to know how to fix it. To think that Dell's PCs are "tested" or somehow more stable than a self-built computer is just not true, as long as you know what you're doing when you build your own. In many Dells I've seen (I used to work for a school district here servicing PCs, and they only used Dells, so I've seen quite a few), the cooling is much worse than is possible in a self built computer--the wiring obstructs airflow, the cases are cramped, and there aren't enough fans (IMO) in many cases. This isn't to say Dells are bad, but just to say that you could build a better one yourself for less money.

Some good information has been made available by many already. Here is my point of view.

Don't trade with a self built comupter if its your first PC you have built on your own. however if you have the experience of building many PC since personal computers have been made available to the public, then you have already had enough trial and error, thus you can trust your home made PC.

Until you reach that point you are better off buying a Dell or somthing simillar and then beefing it up your self or by the manufacturer. Even if it means paying several hundred dollars or more. Again By beefing it up I mean Increasing the RAM and installing better Video cards etc. , obviously if you have never done this before better off letting the manufacturer do it for you.

Think of it this way...

If you miss one day of trading what will that cost you?

If your PC crashed in the middle of trade what will that cost you?

compare these costs with the initial saving that you would enjoy if you built a PC on your own.

By the way, recently a trading pal had to miss a couple trading days because his main home made PC whent down, later he discovered it was a hardware that had become loose..

Cosider this...HE lost Two days of trading and the time lost trading while he was putting the PC togather;

I wonder what the cost of all that time was. I never asked him...no point in doing so.

Again, just sharing my point of view.

Regards..

Edited by sep34

I agree pappo, and I should have mentioned that in my first post. I use a computer that I built because I trust my own work more than another builder's, not because it was cheaper (though that is always something to think about). But yes, unless you have experience building or servicing computers, the one you use to make money shouldn't be your first attempt, because something most likely will go wrong, and you might not know how to diagnose and fix the problem if you're inexperienced.