Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

firewalker

Live Indices Trades

LOL Deliberately keeping trade size small at the moment...although will increase it a bit next week....Still think in terms of points though..

and the addition of contract trades will add to my margin use also...

While there is considerable discretion for me in terms of cash trades...

try to keep with the smaller trend if not the bigger one..plus times of day I avoid...etc etc...

I want to be more mechanical with contract longer trades..( ie dont think too much...Signal-and -act)

To be clear I still only expect to have them 24 hours...or less..so long term relative... so perhaps up to 10 cash trades per day per index(ftse/dax) (5 for Dow)...and 1-2 Contract trades...

Goven I can really only look at 2 indexes at a time...tend to do ...ftse and dax 7-1...then switch over to Dax and Dow 2-7ish.. And I do take several hours break at differnt points during the day...in case you think I am screen staring for 12 hours per day..

Anyone else like to run through their methodology... basic set ups up etc...

Oh and lastly my smallest chart time frame....now 15 mins!!

Very impressive performance Foale - especially from not going lower than the 15 minute................

It will be interesting to see how you get on as you raise trade size. For me my performance in terms of points tends to go down as the stake size increases. I am happy to grab 10 points at a decent size whereas if it was only £5 per point I would be more likely to let it runthan see it go 10 points against me. The flip side is that you get more free time and I think I come to the screen refreshed each day rather than sitting for hours and hours.

Still - horses for coures etc - look forward to seeing how you get on !

(BY the way - how does everyone else get on when increasing size ?)

Very impressive performance Foale - especially from not going lower than the 15 minute................

It will be interesting to see how you get on as you raise trade size. For me my performance in terms of points tends to go down as the stake size increases. I am happy to grab 10 points at a decent size whereas if it was only £5 per point I would be more likely to let it runthan see it go 10 points against me. The flip side is that you get more free time and I think I come to the screen refreshed each day rather than sitting for hours and hours.

Still - horses for coures etc - look forward to seeing how you get on !

(BY the way - how does everyone else get on when increasing size ?)

STill find it a struggle to hold on though...went it starts going my way...this am no exception...was short Ftse at 60 early doors....closed far too early

One problem with larger size in the past is that you need a larger account...

easy to trade away at £5pp say...make some money...then move to £10pp on not much bigger size...and margin over used. I like to trade at a level that margin not a factor...in the decision making process

STill find it a struggle to hold on though...went it starts going my way...this am no exception...was short Ftse at 60 early doors....closed far too early

One problem with larger size in the past is that you need a larger account...

easy to trade away at £5pp say...make some money...then move to £10pp on not much bigger size...and margin over used. I like to trade at a level that margin not a factor...in the decision making process

....also if you are long ftse and dax in the cash and Contract trades...of course its 4 positions...and that even if goes against you slightly... start to feel it... sooner than later...

....also if you are long ftse and dax in the cash and Contract trades...of course its 4 positions...and that even if goes against you slightly... start to feel it... sooner than later...

I like to get out as soon as it turns against me..............dont like taking the pain............

Do you use indicators foale ?

I like to get out as soon as it turns against me..............dont like taking the pain............

Do you use indicators foale ?

Yes I do...support and resistance...but increasingly my tailored stochashic..

which can be dangerous... as stretches as you know..

I have learnt to master it of late though..once in a trend its very good ..

Also declutered my screen... got and am screen (ok 3) set up and a pm one...helps me move on...

Mondays/Friday I have a smaller profit target as other distractions are around..I look for basic set ups..and spend more time flat...

Just plugging away at those points....

Stohastic helps me manage the pain...but I like you dont really like it and if underwater I need to see a clear change on the horizon or I tend to reverse...

LOL Deliberately keeping trade size small at the moment...although will increase it a bit next week....Still think in terms of points though..

and the addition of contract trades will add to my margin use also...

While there is considerable discretion for me in terms of cash trades...

try to keep with the smaller trend if not the bigger one..plus times of day I avoid...etc etc...

I want to be more mechanical with contract longer trades..( ie dont think too much...Signal-and -act)

To be clear I still only expect to have them 24 hours...or less..so long term relative... so perhaps up to 10 cash trades per day per index(ftse/dax) (5 for Dow)...and 1-2 Contract trades...

Goven I can really only look at 2 indexes at a time...tend to do ...ftse and dax 7-1...then switch over to Dax and Dow 2-7ish.. And I do take several hours break at differnt points during the day...in case you think I am screen staring for 12 hours per day..

Anyone else like to run through their methodology... basic set ups up etc...

Oh and lastly my smallest chart time frame....now 15 mins!!

If you're using 15m candles for relatively short span trades, doesn't that mean you're watching them as they form (price action), in which case you might as well use 5 or 3min ones? Just curious.

If you're using 15m candles for relatively short span trades, doesn't that mean you're watching them as they form (price action), in which case you might as well use 5 or 3min ones? Just curious.

Well I am coming from a background of 5 min bars...so find it difficult to change..to holding longer...but if I have 5 min bars I definately wont be letting them run...

This way I ONLY have to learn to let the longer bars dictate my thinking...and I will be making a lot more points each time... not finding it easy...but for me its the way to go I will get there...

wish my kid was a bit older then he could say... BUY SELL and more importantly.. "LEAVE it DADDY !" cos the signals work...

Also I am more stoccy and less bars orientated...so whether 5 , 15 or 60 not so important...

Its not often I go waway from the screen and it works out...

but my short...ftse and Dax did me proud......

Sorry I closed my short Dow but....cant complain...

All flat now

Hi drlicks....

So what caused that fall oil back at ....$142

Freddie Mac (FRE: 11.24, -3.26, -22.48%) plunged 20% on heavy volume as the government-backed mortgage borrower tumbled to 14-year lows. There was no official news on Freddie Mac on Monday but Frederic Ruffy, options strategist at WhatsTrading.com pointed to worries about the company's stock sale plans. "The options market is bracing for big time volatility in" Freddie," said Ruffy.