Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

AbeSmith

What's a good place to put 10K for 10 months?

Options can be very difficult to grasp at first. I've been at it for over 2 years and still know there's TONS of stuff i don't know. I love learning though, and will always continue on with options. So...yes, it's difficult at first to grasp. That's why I say to look into an autotrade service. On their website is a list of services you can subscribe to and have ToS autotrade those recommendations for you if you choose. If you're looking for a way to gain 10% in 10 months on 10k...I don't know that the possibilities are limitless, ya know. It'll be tough, but plenty of people out there can do it and do make that. Just a matter of finding them. Talk with ToS and see what they have to say. Cant hurt just talking to them, right?

Ok. Thanks. Yeah. Them options seem very complicated.

I'll gladly give one to avoid - BIGTRENDS.COM

No idea if they are on TOS or not, but they suck.

:did I say that?:

I'll have to write up a review sometime here to hopefully save a few souls from my mistakes.

Ok. Thanks Brownsfan. What about Guerilla Trades?

Thanks for the info TG, I was wondering if you could provide a list or even one newsletter or service, including the fees, that you have positive experience. The difficulty for the OP would certainly be choosing the right one and factor in the fees. For example, a newsletter could charge $1000 per year, so even with 10% return in a year, with newsletter fees and commissions, you may end up with zero gain or even losses for a 10K account.

The problem with TOS in my opinion is that they don't screen the list of services as far as I can see:

There are other autotrading services that attempt to do some performance evaluation: eg., attaincapital or collective2

I am not going to link them because I am not really advocating either or any of these services. I am just trying to point out the pitfalls of autotrading. If the OP would like to know which TOS autotrade newsletter to avoid, please PM me.

Thanks for the info thrunner. Do you have any experience with Guerilla Trades? They seem to be well known.

I have no experience with Guerilla Trades, but I would avoid number 11 on that list of newsletters on TOS. Redoption is number 1 and TG is good with that. BF's avoid is number 5 on that list. BTW, Redoption is at least partially owned by TOS, so may be they are more reputable than the others, and may be that is why they are number 1 on the list :)

How about Mutual Funds, they are getting up to 100% returns at the moment. Always try to be alert by watching the market periodically for any sign of a pull back....

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/partsub/funds/topfundresults.asp?Category=All&Symbol=$HF

Thanks Phil. About how much is the fees on those? The China and Emerging market funds look attractive. Do I have to commit to them for a specific time or can I trade them?

Abe,

Make sure you read the prospectus for fees on those funds. Foreign funds typically have higher expenses than a domestic based fund. Fees can also negate any 'trading' you might do. After the mutual fund mess a year or so ago many funds now impose a fee for what they define as early redemption. An foreign based ETF may be more appropriate if fees become cumbersome.

Abe,

Make sure you read the prospectus for fees on those funds. Foreign funds typically have higher expenses than a domestic based fund. Fees can also negate any 'trading' you might do. After the mutual fund mess a year or so ago many funds now impose a fee for what they define as early redemption. An foreign based ETF may be more appropriate if fees become cumbersome.

Ok. Thanks very much Brownsfan.

SHV is a bond fund I put excess cash in. It is an etf, you can buy it like a stock. It gaps down at the beginning of each month because it pays a dividend.

check it out - easy, low risk

Looks interesting waveslider. Thanks.

I've been researching silver lately. I'm thinking of buying silver coins and bullions for my daughters in the name of fun, learning, and investment. I want to buy gold but I'm not sure at these prices. Silver is probably safer.

Thanks for the link.

I've been researching silver lately. I'm thinking of buying silver coins and bullions for my daughters in the name of fun, learning, and investment. I want to buy gold but I'm not sure at these prices. Silver is probably safer.

Thanks for the link.

Good idea. A bit Gold might not be a bad idea either. It has been dropping recently, and it is more beautiful than silver in my opinion.