Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Trading and Discipline

A little quote from my trading friend. Always a pleasure to get these in my email.

Joe's Trading Tidbits

HOW DISCIPLINE HELPS IN TRADING

"Discipline in executing each and every trade according to your trading methodology is the secret to your success. If you want to improve your trading, what you need to do is very simple. Before you enter any trade, imagine that you will have to explain this trade to a panel of your peers, by explaining to them the reason for your entry, your money, trade, and risk management guidelines, and why you exited the trade. Imagine having to explain why you chose this particular market and this particular time frame, along with how you set objectives for the trade, and how you determined where your initial protection would be. If you can truly do this, I strongly believe that you can be successful.

Just prior to entering every trade, try to imagine yourself executing the trade perfectly. Imagine how it will feel when you enjoy having made money with your trading.

Yes I know, you don't have time to do that. Why? Because you never plan your trades ahead of time. You probably don't have a strategy, and instead of waiting patiently for trade that meets your well-defined parameters and your thought-out plan, you just jump in the minute you think you see something that looks good.

You need to take a lesson from a spider. The spider waits patiently in his web until some unsuspecting insect flies into the spider's trap.

Have you been flying into any of my traps? I wait for trades that meet my expectations, trades that fit my plan. I wait patiently, and being kind-hearted I don't want any of my readers to land in my web. I'd rather the unsuspecting are readers of someone else's newsletter. But it's amazing how often I get to feed."

Hi James, how've you been. Nice post you have here. I couldn't agree more. Without discipline, you are finished as a trader. It is one of the best pieces of advice I ever got. Let the trade come to you. One aspect of discipline is patience. Just like the spider in the web. Unfortunately, this all too often an acquired talent. A trait developed over time and over a rising pile of failed trades and lost money.

May your pile not be as large as mine.