Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Nick1984

What music do you listen to when you're trading?

When I'm trading I like to have music on. I've always been like that. I need something which is pretty lively or aggressive so I put on things such as:

Rage against the machine

Nine Inch Nails

Soulfly

David Bowie

Tomahawk

If I've made my target for the day I relax and put on something soothing such as:

Air

St Germaine

Sergio Mendes

Depeche Mode (ok not very relaxing but I love em)

Grandmaster Flash (legend)

So what do you listen to when you trade?

The sound of silence. The only way to focus and stay attentive. The problem with music is that it always carries some emotions, even classical music. Just wrong thinking in approaching the market objectively.

Silence can have an opposite effect on me and drive me nuts! I'm the type of guy who has a difficult time sitting still so that may have something to do with it.

I have to have music or something on, mainly for background noise. Sitting here in complete silence would drive me insane.

I have Sirius and with the service you get an smaller online version of their service. It's great - I just use a non-trading computer to stream the music and there's a bunch of stations to chose from. I personally like Octane - not heavy metal, more modern alternative. It just helps keep the blood flowing.

I'm listening to Tortoise, and a band called the Bad Plus. Instrumental post-jazz stuff - both are coming to Vancouver for the jazzzz fest - I'm there..!

Instrumental and complex, real instruments, not drum machines.. if anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

over 2900 songs for my iPod/iTunes.

Sometimes I put it on party shuffle and let it play what ever.

There is not set routine for me, sometimes I have music on while trading, sometimes its' off during a trade. It's on when I'm not trading and off sometimes when I'm not trading as well.

To name a few bands/artists:

Linkin Park

Toby Keith

Green Day

Finger Eleven

Dolores O'riordan

Coldplay

Weezer

Three Days Grace

Sarah McLachlan

Pretty much anything with a drum beat and guitars. But I love my music, could not get through a single day without hearing something.

Classical..mostly piano and guitar. I'm teaching myself piano and will start guitar.

trance...although i don't know where to get the good stuff anymore

Ocean's 12 soundtrack relaxes me

Yea, I'm a weirdo.

run dmc .."im in the house yall! im in the house yall!"

Some tracks from mob movies but mostly from the Godfather. It brings some memories. btw, I'm not affiliated with mobsters.

Who's house?!?

Guest cooter

Obscure 70s/80s Can-Con stuff like April Wine, Trooper, Chilliwack, Saga, Streetheart, and Triumph.

JS Bach is the man (and baroque music is proven to have beneficial impact on mind and nerves). It has a rythm and a flow that is exactly to my liking. Also jazz, especially great trumpet players; Davis and Stanko. By the way, there are traders who not only listen to music at work but also watch movies - J.Carter (of Mastering the Trade fame) mentions Gladiator as his usual visual support:).

I start the day with Kenny Rogers singing "The Gambler": "Every hand is a winner and every hand is a loser and the best you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

The I switch to an eclectic mix of baroque chamber music, smooth jazz, with some gregorian chant thrown in when trading is hairy.

Buck

Rock, his trading is highly automated once an entry is made, and also before a possible entry he hears, yes hears, from his computers. So apparently he doesn't watch the screens as much as others, especially midday. More in the book.

ps. I do watch RATM gigs and other hard hitting bands on weekends, for full balance, not without a few cans of lager.

LoL RATM before delving into the most capitalist of pursuits. Keeps the ol conscience clean!