Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Nick1984

First time trading the YM

Monday the 6th was the first time I took the dive into the YM. Wasn't a very good day to start! Nothing happened lol! I made a quick few points early on shorting about 9 minutes after open then closed out for a 12 point gain. After that diddly!

Could have gone worse i guess. Something keeping the markets a bit stagnant in the US now?

Yea, Monday was pretty dull especially after the first 60 minutes. I took 25pts for the day but that was off 5 trades. So pretty much scalping entirely.

The YM has been choppy lately. Alot better to swing trade it imo.

Yea after the first hour and a half i called it a day. No decent moves. I fell asleep hehe.

I looked at it on a daily and its been almost nothing but up (slowing down though)! Hasent even touched an 8 day EMA yet.

yea. I just opened it up now at the start of the session. first 20 mins are nothing to get excited about. Not much action going through either. Using pivots i went long at 288 after it broke through S2 on pretty light volume. I'm currently stuck at 2 points up but not making much headway.

Could have gone worse i guess. Something keeping the markets a bit stagnant in the US now?

Nick - step 1 of trading the US indexes - check all econ reports coming out that day/week.

http://online.barrons.com/public/page/barrons_econoday.html

Step 2 - learn the importance of reports - some are more important that others. For example, we have FOMC on Wed. That is a HUGE report. Seeing the calm before the storm should not surprise anyone.

Heheh duly noted!

Today has been a lil better so far. I went long straight at the open and took 20 pts. Shorted at 347 and just caught a nice lil move down for another 10.

I don't have much experience but from what I noticed on a 3 min chart, it looks like the YM loves to move in waves a lot.