Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Nick1984

Fib retracements

May as well get straight to the point. I've never really used Fib retracements before but I see heaps of people using them on charts. Do you use them in real time trading or only at the EOD to get some ranges for the next day?

I'm kind of confused as to the FIB's use and how its applied in real time trading. Anyone who could shed some light on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Couple of levels I like to watch at EOD to prepare for the following day is the 50% fib. Other than that, I use them real time for retracements especially the 50% and 61.8%. The chart below shows a 50% retracement combined with a VAL pivot. I especially like it when the fibs line up with a pivot. Then you got yourself a nice pullback entry.

Note: I made a mistake and labeled that chart VAH. It should be VAL.

fibpullbackwithpivot.gif.787637886697f4ccc6a611db904902b0.gif

So when your using your fibs in real time, how often would you use them in a day? I get how they are more dynamic cause they are based off developing price action, but (using the chart James put up) would you then draw another retracement from that high to the bottom of that move, and again from the bottom of that move to the next high?

And if so, do the new lines automatically cancel out the old retracement points?

Thanks for the quick replys btw :)

Fibs are constant moving targets, always. So you have to move when price action create news price levels. This is the beauty of it (and pain to others), gotta work to get the level that may say something meaningful. This is why sometimes markets reverse for no reason to some traders, because fib levels do hide orders on the opposite side. Forex with 78.6% is notorious for reversals. Just read some of the examples in the forex section.

Yes, as you move the move old becomes invalid, but remember, if you see levels that are confirmed by other tools, such as pivot points, in a cluster, this makes a stronger areas of hesitation or reversal.

I actually heard it from an experienced trader, I thought it was the funniest trading rule ever heard, it stuck with me since. I didn't know it came from this guy. If it's his, then I may just read his book after all. After all, I'm just a newbie hanging in my lounge ;)