Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Trading Psychology How do we learn to conquer our fear and greed? Discuss the mental aspects of the game.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #1

Ignore this user

Discipline Trading: Holding onto winners

I wanted to discuss an area where I am struggling psychologically. I consider myself to be fairly discipline when following my rules for my trading setups. However, I have a tendency to cut my winners a little too early. I identify key support and resistance levels prior the the open. When prices are test these areas, I have a tendency to exit my position. Sometimes this is the correct move, sometimes prices will break the line of support/resistance and I leave alot of money which I should of made.

This is one rule I keep breaking over and over. Do you think it has something to do with my internal beliefs on money? Or is it a lack of discpline?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #2

Ignore this user

Thanked 1,463 Times in 507 Posts

I totally understand you problem. I had a similar problem when first starting out in the futures markets. I didnt mind taking losses but what got to me the most was watching what could of been profits. I think that hurt me more than anything.

One way I managed to fix this problem was setting new rules for scaling out of trades. I never scale into a trade when day trading but now I always scale out. My current rules are as follows: scale out half at +10, quarter at +20, and last quarter using smart stops.

This way I am able to catch a good move using a quarter position. After taking my profits on the first half and quarter, I just place my stop for the last quarter at break even and leave it alone for a while. I think once you get into the habit of ringing the register and leaving no risk, you are able to sit back and relax and watch a trade do its thing.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: