Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

BlueHorseshoe

Puzzles for Traders

Not to stray off topic, because these puzzles are a blast, but this thread has made me aware of something a lot of us inherently know, but don't often acknowledge: just how important all the little details of our trading plans are. Obviously this doesn't apply to algo traders, who have few, if any, ifs ands and buts in their systems, but for all the retail traders to explain their trading plan to a person could result in very, very different trading depending on how the other person interpreted key words and ideas.

Just reiterates the importance of communicating clearly. I can hear my mother harp: "Say what you mean and mean what you say"

Look maybe i didn't state it clear? It is a regular normal size bridge that a person could walk over or drive a car. The bridge crosses some regular size real railtracks that real trains can run down. It isn't a trick bridge or anything like that.

The man came to the bridge and went across it and yet went around it at the EXACT same time on the VERY same physical same day (not just the same day of the week). you can have him walking or riding in a car or truck when he crosses the bridge. that part doesn't matter. he doesn't get on the train. he doesn't straddle the bridge. he can't. it is a real life size bridge. a real life size person. a real life size car. a real lifesize RR track. maybe this will clear things up?

The bridge runs from East to West, and he takes a full 24 hours to cross it, by which time the earth will have completed a full revolution so that he will also have travelled around it.

???

BlueHorseshoe

Mr Horseshoes

Thats pretty good!!

regards

bobc

Look maybe i didn't state it clear? It is a regular normal size bridge that a person could walk over or drive a car. The bridge crosses some regular size real railtracks that real trains can run down. It isn't a trick bridge or anything like that.

The man came to the bridge and went across it and yet went around it at the EXACT same time on the VERY same physical same day (not just the same day of the week). you can have him walking or riding in a car or truck when he crosses the bridge. that part doesn't matter. he doesn't get on the train. he doesn't straddle the bridge. he can't. it is a real life size bridge. a real life size person. a real life size car. a real lifesize RR track. maybe this will clear things up?

A play on words? You can can't cross a bridge without being "around" it... "went around" as in being there.

Ok Patuca

Last chance

I seem to recall this question when I applied for MENSA membership

I walk across the bridge , but at the same time my direction is haphazard, zig zag,all over the bridge, all around.

I have crossed the bridge and walked around the bridge

regards

bobc

Ok Patuca

Last chance

I seem to recall this question when I applied for MENSA membership

I walk across the bridge , but at the same time my direction is haphazard, zig zag,all over the bridge, all around.

I have crossed the bridge and walked around the bridge

regards

bobc

nope someone already basically proposed that solution. no meandering.

A play on words? You can can't cross a bridge without being "around" it... "went around" as in being there.
i see what you mean by a possible play on the word around but that isn't the case in this riddle.

My last shot:

He walks across the suspension cables?

(I was getting at this on the through-bridge, but if it's just a regular ol' bridge, it would have suspension cables instead of a walkway)

I trust that this thread isn't distracting anyone from anything more important that they should be doing?

Patuca - I do hope you realise that unless somebody solves your riddle you will be responsible for setting the next one?

BlueHorseshoe

does everyone cry "uncle" yet?

My last shot (I mean it this time).

All bridges, even those that appear to be flat have at least a slight arc. Many for structural reasons, but if nothing else than to allow water drainage. If the railroad tracks where at the same level as the road surface, the bridge may have a considerable arch to allow clearance for the train. I'm using this example as it best illustrates where I'm headed.

When traveling "across" a bridge you must drive/walk "around" the circumference of a circle. You can never go straight "across" a bridge as there is an arc, so you must travel "around" the arc.

in the meantime.........

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:

1. The Brit lives in the red house.

2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.

3. The Dane drinks tea.

4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.

5. The green house's owner drinks coffee.

6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.

7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.

8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.

10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.

11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.

12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.

13. The German smokes Prince.

14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

The question is: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

in the meantime.........

The question is: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

The German.

Yellow, Norwegian, Water, dunhill, cats

Blue, Dane, tea, blends, horse

Red, Brit, milk, Pall Mall, birds,

Green, german, coffee, prince, fish

White, swede, beer, bluemasters, dogs.

BlueHorseshoe

The bridge is round. it goes across the track and circles back across again.
nope. he went across the bridge and yet went around it at the exact same time. how would he do this with a round bridge? however, regardless the bridge wasn't round ..it is a straight normal size bridge that a car could go over or a person could walk over.

a man came to a bridge that crossed a railroad track. he went across the bridge but yet went around the bridge at exactly the same time. how did he do it?

He was inside a wheel? As in he rolled across the bridge.

Getting desperate

Edited by MightyMouse