Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheNegotiator

Complicated Simplicity

Another thing is when people talk about sport. I like football (or soccer if you're american (or welsh)) so I'll use that as an example - but it's definitely appropriate to other sports. In football, there's always talk of how "keeping things simple" is really great and how "doing the basics well" can win you games. I absolutely agree with that. But most of the YAFS who bang on about it fail to recognise the years of work put in by the players and coaches to know what they should be doing. Which simple pass is the right pass? When do I shoot? When is it right to play it down the wing? Blah blah blah. What about all the technical work which goes on in preparation for the game? The amazing sports science like diet or movement analysis to help make players fitter stronger and less injury-prone? Is that simple? REALLY????

Of course, each one of those ideas is simple. But knowing when to do them, and how to do them with such excellence you can out play the other best and most talented, highest paid, super atheletes who's sole purpose in their career is to PREVENT you from doing that... ya. I can explain how to swim in a very simple way to just about anyone. Doesn't mean they will be the next Michael Phelps. And mind you swimming is easy. Yet to do it professionally does take years of devotion and mastery. Even though it's incredibly simple. Arms in circles. Kick feet. Turn Head. Breathe. Do again. but all the details and neuance that go into making someone take that to the degree where they can be good enough to swim for a living... yea, that's definately not simple or easy. There's a lot to it. So much that to be the best requires that you work with a full time professional who is telling you every day what you need to do better, how to improve this, that...etc. that dude is called a coach. A full time coach. for arms in circles. Kick feet. Turn Head. Breathe.

It may be fairly straightforward once learned and understood and practiced and experienced and gained some mastery of... but that right there is why it is complicated and somewhat difficult.

I was going to use the bike example, but you sort of captured it with swimming.

Swimming is easy or simple once you have learned how to swim. So is trading.

We tend to forget what learning to swim or ride a bike was like. Afterwards we can say it is simple. Just swing your arms in a circle and kick or simply steer the handlebars and pedal. As a child, the ocean, pool or whatever, looked daunting. It looked like if you failed, you may never come out. You were afraid of things that could happen. Once you gained mastery of the basics, that fear largely subsides and you can proclaim that it is simple. Time makes you forget the things that concerned you when you began.

Once you gain confidence it is simple or easy. The same is true of trading. Once you know you won't die or fail, then it is very simple. However, the road to mastering the basics is not always easy since there is so much misinformation available to comb through. Confidence cannot be transferred from mentor to trader. In the same way a parent cannot teach a child to have confidence with swimming by saying to the child " don't worry that the water is deep, all you have to do is swing your arms around and kick", even though, that is really all you have to do. Confidence in trading or any endevour comes from within.

hi there,

Does anyone read Sun Tzu ...he is as relevant now as 2500 years ago, which I imagine means that whilst things change, People do not.

Sun Tzu says that it is good to confuse your enemy ... well just let us take a moment to look around at all the countless threads and posts here at TL ... all we see is confusion confusion confusion.

Complicity versus simplicity .... all I see is confusion.

We buy into a rising market ... we sell into a falling market ... that is all I know and it is all I need to know.... and that is not discipline, it is common-fucking-sense.

buen fin de semana

Good morning,

Let us push on for a bit and talk of 'Confusion' and of 'Winners' because one is the opposite of the other.

Losing is not the opposite of Winning which might suprise some of you, simply because losing is a function both of Winning and of Confusion.

Winners must learn to accept losing as a part of their learning curve

Confused people never learn from their loses and are therefore destined to remain confused.

When Winners enter the world of trading, all they need to learn is The Art of Trading, because they are bringing their winning attitude and habits with them.

When Confused people enter the world of trading, the fun begins and stays that way until they finally give-up or set about changing their attitude and habits.

The sad reality that 99%+ of people fail to maintain an active account after twelve months shows how deeply engrained confusion is imbedded in our modern society.

Never before has such an abundance of opportunity been showed upon us and we respond by being so poorly prepared.

No wonder a small proportion of the people walk off with the bulk of the profits.

In days gone by, this disproportionate distribution was the result of privilege, but sadly today it is the result of confusion.

When I say that the mission of a Retail Trader is to ... buy into a rising market and sell into a falling market ... I mean exactly that.

To spell it out, I mean that Buyers need to exit at higher prices than their entry and Sellers need to exit at lower prices than their entry.

Is this confusing .... not to me it is not.

If a Buyer fades his/her entry whilst prices are still falling in the hope of catching the bottom tick, then that is their business ... it does not change the mission at all.

If anything it highlights their confusion over the workings of the market giving rise to further confusion over what is important and what is secondary.

There exists confusion over the belief that the correct answer to confusion is discipline ...

well now you have feed confusion with yet more confusion ... a little like putting out the fire with gasoline, or borrowing your way out of debt.

Now, if you are thinking that consistency is a better path out of confusion and into the enlightened world of Winning, then I would agree with you.

Good morning,

Let us push on for a bit and talk of 'Confusion' and of 'Winners' because one is the opposite of the other.

Losing is not the opposite of Winning which might suprise some of you, simply because losing is a function both of Winning and of Confusion.

Winners must learn to accept losing as a part of their learning curve

Confused people never learn from their loses and are therefore destined to remain confused.

When Winners enter the world of trading, all they need to learn is The Art of Trading, because they are bringing their winning attitude and habits with them.

When Confused people enter the world of trading, the fun begins and stays that way until they finally give-up or set about changing their attitude and habits.

If you execute properly, there is nothing to learn from losing. Losing is a function of the game. If you properly execute and lose and try to learn from your loss, then you are indeed confused.

Losing stirs emotions. Winning stirs emotions. We must accept that winning and losing stir emotions and learn to properly release those emotions. Subduing the emotions, or pretending to control the emotions, is not properly releasing the emotions. You will not fool your "self".

If you execute properly, there is nothing to learn from losing. Losing is a function of the game. If you properly execute and lose and try to learn from your loss, then you are indeed confused.

Losing stirs emotions. Winning stirs emotions. We must accept that winning and losing stir emotions and learn to properly release those emotions. Subduing the emotions, or pretending to control the emotions, is not properly releasing the emotions. You will not fool your "self".

noobs,

whatever you do, don't listen to this nonsense.

... because only 1% really 'understand' and 'agree' with him.

... and if he happens to say anything about how the emotions get stirred before the winning or the losing and what to do about it - don't listen to that either...

:wnkwink:

Edited by zdo